Notices

Grateful to be alive

Old 11-22-2003, 06:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful to be alive

Today I'm grateful for my brother who saved me from having to go to hospital to protect myself. I'm grateful to the ppl at the HADS unit at RBH, for all the help in getting the alcohol out of my system. I'm grateful to all the friends I've met and made here, and the protection they have afforded me. I'm grateful to the girl that let me know that life isn't a competition.

I just wish I could get some sleep. I've been on my feet now for over two days. But the last thing I want is to take diezepam, or temazipan, even though there is plenty in the medicine cabinet. It's important that I learn to go to sleep naturally. I might have to though, cause I'm getting dangerously low in mood. I just lie down wide awake and all the best tricks to fall asleep just aren't working.

A woman in detox nearly cried the whole time she was there, she had swapped alcohol for xanax (equivalent to 12 valium or something like that). I really hope she's okay. I'm scared because I know there is a good chance she isn't alive right now. I want to find out, but I know that sort of news would make me self destruct.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still Standing

Some really hot chocolate milk helps me to be able to go to sleep everytime. Maybe you could try it if you haven't already. Sweet Dreams.
Old 11-27-2003, 11:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Excellent suggestion! I was considering valerium. But I remember being very young and being giving hot milk and milo to comfort me.

And even in detox a kind nurse gave me the same thing, and a half hour later I was asleep - pity they waked me up two and a half hours later! I'd forgotten all about it. It's in my journal, but lately I've been afraid to revisit it.

Today - I'm mostly grateful for the kind hearted ppl that understand and give support to me when my emotions are going up and down like a yoyo. They understand - because they've been there, but still never ever criticise me. Often I've been afraid to come back thinking someone would say you are no longer welcome - you're a basket case or a bad person - a loser, a mental health long termer. Because of these ppl that understand I'm not afraid and if someone is unkind to me, than I have the protection of all those friends who will support me. For that today I'm truely grateful.

Thanks Mark
Old 11-27-2003, 12:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Jon
But Very, Very Bruisable...

No chocolate!

Chocolate contains lots of caffiene, and sugar is also stimulating.

Have you tried some of these?

Warm milk
Hot bath
Melatonin
Meditation
Reading
L-trytophane

If at all possibe, keep staying away from the medicine cabinet.

You're doing great...you just don't know it yet.