Notices

Bucking the tide

Old 01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bucking the tide

Nothing has really changed. Life doesnt get beautiful and full of wonderful changes. That has been my experience. The one thing that infuriates me the most is when members say when you quit drinking/drugs...life gets so much better.

No, it does not. For the most part, you have to deal with the S#it sober. it's still S&it, you are just deaing with life on S$it terms sober.

Once you stop drinking.drugging etc, your probelms do not go away magically,

You just have to deal with them sober.

dread
Old 01-12-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Abultra,

Glad to have you here with us. I still some of the same problems that I did when I was an active wino (although I don't have to worry about picking stupid fights with my husband, drunk posting, stuff like that which I am very thankful for) but I find it is a lot easier *for me* to deal with problems now that I am sober. I definitely don't want to go back to my drunken life. I hated myself then and I don't hate myself anymore (well not too much... it's a work in progress). That's my experience though .
Old 01-12-2011, 11:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My problems did not go away when I got sober, but my life did get better as I got better.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ozone Ranger

I subscribe to the idea that there is more to active addiction than the physical act of using, and there is more to recovery than abstinence.

With guidance, we can change what we do, which in turn will change how we feel and think. We stop lying, stealing, cheating, and the guilt and remorse goes away. We confront our fear, we do what we need to do in spite of the fear, and gain confidence. We interact with others on a similar path, taking risks with ourselves and our most personal details, and develop trust.

You are very right about one thing. Putting the plug in the jug won't change how we feel about ourselves. When we look in the mirror and see the same slimy POS that has always been there, we don't feel any different about what we see. We need to take action to change that.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The gratitude forum is one place i like to visit to share the little good things I appreciate most every day. It is the one forum where there is no sniping, debates and arguing.

like the intro. says, it's a place to share the good stuff...

some days there is precious little "good stuff", but I try to find something every day to be grateful for....like my 10 nightly grats.

Nope, your problems don't magically poof away when you stop drinking, but HOW I DEAL with them is much easier...I know if i feel kind of sh$$ty today, i'll feel differently tomorrow...and I am grateful for that sober morning.

I think this thread is misplaced, perhaps it should be moved to newcomers?
Old 01-12-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by abultra30 View Post
Once you stop drinking.drugging etc, your probelms do not go away magically,

You just have to deal with them sober.
I agree with this except that I would say that I "get" to deal with them sober. I consider sobriety an opportunity to live a different kind of life, one in which I deal with problems the ways that other people do instead of my old solution, which was hiding my head in the sand and feeling terrible about myself.

Wishing the best for you, abultra!
Old 01-12-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am grateful for Rule #62....front and center.

I am grateful for finding humor in ridicules-ness.

I am grateful for "putting on my big-girl panties" and just dealing with life's ups and downs....and believe me some weeks there are a LOT of Downs....with a capitol D.

I dug myself into a big hole in just 3 months of heavy, heavy drinking...(including hair loss)...and I dug myself OUT of it by wanting to be sober....so HAH!..yes, things did improve.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yep, life is life,

it's our reaction to it that has changed,

and damm grateful for that!
Old 01-14-2011, 03:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My experience is that my life now is so much better. Everyone has their own take, experience and so forth but for me oh hell yeah it is night and day.

No unicorns and rainbows going on here but I am in control of how I look at life, live it and I couldn't have given myself a greater gift.

Just being sober didn't change my thinking and I remember going....why bother. Yeah I don't have the nonsense in my life that I did when I was drunk all the time but I still feel lousy.

When I started face to face support, opened myself up and really began to change....well I got my self-esteem, drive and positive attitude back! Those for me were the things that no amount of money, pats on the back or sunny days could give me. I worked for it that is for darn sure and am still doing it. So yeah....the changes within me have allowed me to fully enjoy this life again and I with 100% certainty can say the life I live now have changed for the better.

I am grateful for every day I live now.