Notices

For the "old timers!!"

Old 07-03-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
mergirl

For the "old timers!!"

Have I already told you, you guys rock? The people here at SR who have years of sobriety, and hang out on here helping the sickest among us, over and over and over again. I have seen some of you reach out to people knowing the chances are almost nil that they are listening, and yet you just keep at it. I gotta tell ya, when I get ignored over and over, I pretty much just give up. I am aware that many of you did not find your compassion through AA, but some of you long time AAers may inspire me to check out a meeting and learn the mystery that is (step 12?) helping other alcoholics.

Thanks for sticking around and leading by example, and picking up the slack when most of us have thrown in the towel!
Old 07-03-2009, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

GF,

grateful your here to be of service to...

we could a theme song for Slackwomen and Slackman!

Da-Da-Da-Da-Da-Da-Da-Da Slackman!

oh, and we use towelettes these days!
Old 07-04-2009, 08:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Gypsy Feet... Glad you posted and spoke your mind...

I am grateful to be here and help those that need it...

We are all here for the same reason no matter how much time is under our belts. I am glad that you are getting something out of what we say... We all have problems in areas of our recovery and the help that comes from someone who has been in this program longer than us is a "Blessing" .

I found that the "old timers" were the ones that I could bounce off of many times over and just loved to sit and listen to their stories. They are the ones that have been around much longer that the rest of us.

Keep coming back...... and take in all you can from those that have loads of time in this program.....

I remember the first day I went to a meeting and the "Old Timers" that came up to me... One even knew my dad and that meant "No secrets".. But I was wrong to think that way... He would never tell my dad that I was attending AA meetings. I felt like a big weight was lifted off my shoulders then and to this day I am thinking about his stories since he has gone to his reward years ago.

Sometimes those that make a difference to us in the program are no longer around to lean on and that is ok..... this means we need to learn to lean on ourself and God to get us through tough days...

For today I am grateful to have friends and a shoulder to lean on when the days go bad......

Little Penguin
Old 07-04-2009, 04:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lisa...your support and understanding is as vital as
anyone elses. You too can reach struggleing alcoholics.
I've seen you doing just that...

Thanks for the kind words and for being here with us.
Old 07-04-2009, 05:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

I love getting well and being around others watching them get well. We get well when we are ready.

Thanks Gyps
Old 07-05-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
mergirl

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Lisa...your support and understanding is as vital as
anyone elses. You too can reach struggleing alcoholics.
I've seen you doing just that...

Thanks for the kind words and for being here with us.
Ya, but other times if you were a fly on my wall, you would see something not so kind and supportive (like me running from my computer screen!)

I am growing though, and someday maybe I can but my own stuff aside when I need to!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there and know that you are not alone Gypsy....

We all have trouble no matter how many years we have....

Stay strong and know that I am praying for you to really find your way each day...... Keep coming back....

I am Grateful for each day I can spend working my recovery program..... each day is a challenge no matter how I feel.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
jimbo

i'm 48 am i an old timer yet

i just wanted to say thanks to all of you guys

i know i must sound like a whiny brat ,me,me me,me

i have to say its all i think about and i must be like a sponge trying to find out what i have done to myself ,if i am normal,if any one else has cut all their drinking partners (i dont say friends anymore)out of their lives and if they feel empty and lonely

i'm even looking like a mad man at the older posts to see what will or is likely to happen

thanks guys for everything jim
Old 07-09-2009, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi baldjm.....

Welcome to SR and all that it has to offer.... You have a long ways to go before you really become that "old Timer".

I have been in Recovery 23 long years and yet I am still considering myself a young person still trying to manage my own recovery issues....

You made the first step by just being here....

You will get beyond the "Me" issues One day at a time...

Be patient with yourself and all that you seek for your life .... you made the first step by just being here....

Hugs to you today... Keep coming back and know that you are not alone....

I am Grateful for my recovery and all the time I have put into it.... this is my life beyond my personal family life....

I am Grateful that God has directed me to Recovery through some caring friends...
Little Penguin
Old 07-24-2009, 08:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Grateful for the moment to just have recovery with my each moving day....

Grateful that I am making the peace count each day.....

Grateful to have friends at SR....
Old 07-24-2009, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JJB

grateful for the arcade where I can play silly games whenever I'm tempted to relapse until that nagging desire goes away-which of course with time it does!

Old 08-01-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Grateful for the time I have with my family.....

Grateful for the friends I do have outside the computer.. Which seem few I can really lean on and trust...

Grateful there is a God that listens to my inner heart and the needs of each day...

Grateful to have a recovery program I can turn to when the days and moments get rough.....
Old 08-02-2009, 10:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Bill Houck

I am so glad we are all here, My gratitude is boundless,,, I am grateful for the newcomers because at 8 years, I get complacent, I get to be a whiney ass, I also get very self righteous sometimes, imagine that. I STILL want what I want when I want it dammit, but,, as I read the postings, and not nearly often enough, I see what it is I ALWAYS need & take away that helps ME to make it one more day If not for all of us new and not so,,recovery would not exist. My sweetheart, my love is in a place far form home here in Montana, she's on the east coast making a living amends to a 17 year old son who got the bad years, his brother who is older, not so much. Son 1 is old enough and knows enuff about our programs, He has forgiven, son y2 at 17, the anger, resentments, all of it are alive and well in him. I pray,, someday he'll find that place to forgive and love. He loves, but,, we know, the pain gets in the way. She has had problems for many years, relapsing in response to the mom pain,, she now is working our programs like her life depends on it, and it does becasue the place she is staying, it is filled with the old monsters. We talk 3 or 4 times a day. We need to so that we are connected as though here. She has MULTIPLE sponsors, daily meetings and sometimes the kid will let her on HIS computer. Her ex, dry addict/drunk, he I fear will never get it, but thats ok, we do We are grateful for our higher powers, our programs, and also the freedom to NOT fear the dark, but to go toward it as needed with the light that shows us how and where we can go without dying! Gratitude, I am alive. The biggest thng in my life is the recovering amongst the millions, and being a part of something only we who live it can fathom,, Bless you all for being a part of MY personal recovery today, I am very blessed and I am sure grateful. Grateful Bill
Old 08-02-2009, 10:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Bill Houck

I so agree, being a "young un" of 8. I need what I need everyday cause I know what's sittng in the back of MY miond waiting. The circus left town, but man,. the monkees are here and trying to run amuck!! Grateful Bill
Old 08-02-2009, 10:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i am so grateful to all the "old timers" that have helped me through out the years.. keep on passing it on' ODAAT!!
Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am here to express my gratefulness for all the years I have put into my program....

Grateful for others and what they have to say...

Grateful that there are understanding hearts when my heart is broken...

Grateful I have someplace to go when my life gets tough....

Today I am going to work the steps and think about how far I have gotten with my own program.... and see what I really need to work on for the day....

Little Penguin
Old 09-02-2009, 04:35 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

This is a section that needs to come out of the closet again......

The old timers need to be recognized once in a while and I am grateful for the many that got me to "KEEP COMING BACK" when I thought I really didn't belong.......

I am here and that is the best thing about my recovery today.... I just keep coming back for more no matter how many years I have in AA.... this is the only life and the best life for me....

For the rest of you...... I hope you are just as grateful AS I AM TODAY.....

Little Penguin
Old 09-02-2009, 07:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

lol lets dust it off
Old 09-03-2009, 02:56 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Old 09-06-2009, 10:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The dust around here is sort of looking like it is gone...... But it really hangs out no matter what we all do......

The spiders have sort of found another place to go .... but they will return when they think we are gone...

Today I am grateful for the "old timers" and all they have taught me .....

Grateful for my recovry and the "old timer" that never gave up on me.....

Grateful to have many "old timers " still around when you think you are the only one.......