Notices

My kids are healthy

Old 04-21-2008, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My kids are healthy

Last night coming home from work at 2a.m., my transmission suddenly went up. 92000 miles on it, past it's warranty of course. Well maintained, but just one of those things that happens in life, I guess. Anyhow, long story short, gonna cost me about $2,700 to get it back on the road. Yikes. I just got clean 2 weeks ago, so of course I don't have a lot of money set by yet. Anyway, I was crying about it when an old friend came by and helped me get it towed and promised to lend me half of the repair money until next month. I was thinking about ways to put this seeming tragedy into perspective when I got another call from a co-worker that informed me that my subordinates' son was just diagnosed with lymphoma. They're not sure of the prognosis at this point, but he has to stay in the hospital. Hearing about this sad news made me being upset over money seem silly. My kids are healthy, that's the main thing. And I'm clean.
I'm gonna get through this, huh? It's starting to look like I am.
KJ
Old 04-21-2008, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
where the light is

Prayers for your employee's son.

One of the many gifts that sobriety has given me is better perspective. I finally had to admit that I took my kids for granted. When I was drinking, I put alcohol ahead of my family but I would rationalize that as long as I paid the bills and I was a loving dad when I was home, I was a good father. Such garbage. Today, I can't think of one thing in this world that is more precious than my children. Yet, my unwillingness to acknowledge & address my alcoholism was tearing us apart.

In many ways, my kids have been a driving force to my sobriety. Their beauty & innocence, their unconditional love for me. They give me strength.

So grateful that my kids are healthy.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Since I have been in Recovery,any time that I begin to feel sorry for myself, I make out a gratitude list, sometimes on paper, sometimes it's a mental one.

There's always someone out there who has it a whole lot worse than I do! Makes me realize just how grateful I am for my simple little problem. Puts everything in perspective for me!
Old 04-21-2008, 09:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You're going to make it. I have been trying to realize lately that $$$ money is just that, only money. Easier said than done, though, right??? *hugs*