Notices

The Little Things

Old 04-01-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Little Things

I just returned from a city council meeting, what a blessing! That may seem odd to someone that hasn't walked my path, but those who've been where I have understand completely.

My youngest son is a new boy scout. One requirement for recieving a citizenship badge is attendence at a council meeting. I was able to be there for him and for that I'm grateful.

So many times in my life I had evey intention of doing all those things that a father should do, but my disease kept me from following through with responsibility. In two and a half years of sobriety I have had countless opportunities to be a responsible husband and father, I'd have to say that those times of just being there have been the most rewarding.

My oldest daughter graduated from Ohio State last year and is attending Xavier University. Her workplace offered scholarships to twenty employees and she recieved one. They had a big awards dinner and all the employee/students attended with family members. A couple of days before the banquet I recieved a call from my daughter saying that her Mom (my ex) was unable to attend and would I go in her stead.

It was scheduled for a Thursday evening which meant I would have to miss a meeting that I always attend and honestly at first I was kind of upset about that. Me, my wife and youngest son went. Before the dinner and awards my daughters boss and his boss came over to our table and heaped praise on her about her work habits and generally cheerful demeanor. They said she was more than deserving of the scholarship.

When I was driving home it hit me!

If I hadn't been there, my daughter would have been THE ONLY PERSON there ALONE. There would have been no one at the table for her superiors to talk to and an opportunity for her to recieve praise for her hard work would have been wasted. Then I thought about all the times I never made it to functions or things like that. I thought about how I would always come up with some excuse or lie about what I was doing and how it was just so important.

I thought about my daughter, she would have been all alone and I never would have realized what I was doing to her. I would just mark it up as no big deal and she would never tell me how much it hurt her......

Suddenly, as I was driving home a rush of gratitude came over me! I'm a blessed man. Like Jimmy Stewart in It's a Wonderful Life, I've been given the opportunity to truly see what it would be like if I wasn't there, I lived it for too many years.

I am here.......and I am grateful

God's Peace
Old 04-01-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

:ghug3The pride that you have is coming through so loud and clear in your thread.

Sure, you're naturally proud of your daughter's accomplishments, but more importantly, you are proud of you!

I know when I am there for my Son, even just the small things, I thank God for giving me that opportunity.

The simple things are what really matter.

When I was still using, if we were in a store or somewhere that we ran into some of my Son's friends or their Parents, Brandon went out of his way to avoid them. He was ashamed of me, and I can't say that I blame him.

Now, he makes a point of introducing me. There is no better feeling to have than seeing my Son come walking from a distance at the mall with a friend he happened to run into and hearing him say,"There she is, that's my Mom. Mom, this is . . . . "

I'm so glad that you are able to share these times with your Kids.

Kids are most definately a gift from God.

Hugs,
Judy