Notices

Tonight, I'm Grateful

Old 01-09-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tonight, I'm Grateful

Tomorrow will be another day, full of trials and tribulations, chaos and discontent.
They will, in turn, give way to other things for which I can be grateful this time tomorrow.

Tonight, I'm grateful for having made it three days so far.

Tonight, I'm grateful to this site and each member and leader on it who's communicated with me.

Tonight, I'm grateful for members' terrific book recommendations.

Tonight, I'm grateful for my bed and my quite little apartment. (less grateful for the buzz of the refridgerator, but oh well. I'm grateful that there's some food in there).

Tonight I'm grateful for "normie" friends who aren't going to ditch me just because I'm not drinking.

And, finally, tonight I'm grateful to myself, to my higher power, and to those who've been supportive of me for helping me back to a healthy mind and body.

Thanks again to all y'all!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tonight, even with a sleep-aid (non-narcotic, of course), I'm having trouble getting to sleep. Perhaps because I'd left this part of my evening undone. Trials and tribulations today, to be sure. And more tomorrow, as every day.
These things too shall pass.

Tonight I am grateful for my mind, my family, and my friends.

Tonight I am grateful to have finished reading my new book. God love Chuck Palahniuk. I wish I could write that well.

Tonight I am grateful for this warm cup of chamomile tea just before bed.

Tonight I am grateful for a job full of living experiences and life lessons.

Tonight I am grateful for the tranquility of my little town outside my window.

Tonight I am grateful that I have started having interesting, lucid dreams again.

Tonight I am grateful for my piano.

Tonight I am grateful that, though my drinking and driving was most always confined to within several blocks, that I never got a DUI nor hurt a living soul.

Tonight I am grateful that my alcohol craving decided to take the rest of the night off.

Tonight I am grateful to each member of these forums, especially those who've taken the time to help, comfort, and guide me personally.

Tonight I am grateful for my sober place.

Tonight I am grateful for my crush on a very sweet girl. I know I'll be warned against dating for a long while, but I don't know yet if I'll heed that advice. I don't even know if I'm a guy she'd consider dating. But as for now, I'm grateful for my first crush in a long while that wasn't an infatuation with a bottle of wine.

Tonight I'm grateful for dogs. God of my understanding, help me become the person my dog thinks I am.

Tonight I'm grateful that day five starts tomorrow.

Tonight I'm grateful for having gotten some really chaotic people out of my life.

Tonight I'm grateful that tomorrow will be the day I make it to be.

And, finally, tonight as always I'm grateful to myself, to my higher power, and to those who've been supportive of me for helping me back to a healthy mind and body.

Thanks again to all y'all!!!

B'sT
Old 01-11-2008, 03:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yep BT, its a all day long thing! lol

xxoo & blessings

rz
Old 01-11-2008, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

this morning im grateful that you shared this
Old 01-11-2008, 10:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Tests and challenges, disappointments and uncertainties today, like any other.
But here I am, anchored into this act which centers me and keeps me grounded.
For that itself, I am grateful.

Tonight I am grateful for the nearby swimming complex, which relaxes me without alcohol.

Tonight I am greatful to be five complete days sober.

Tonight I am grateful for the writings of Thich Nhat Hanh, which are helping me learn to stay mindful.

Tonight I am grateful that there is one final episode of the office available online which I have not seen.

Tonight I am grateful for my studies, so that I may never stop learning.

Tonight I am grateful that all my friends are alive and well.

Tonight I am grateful for this evening's online newcomers meeting for being a force to keep me sober, and to Rowan for leading it.

Tonight I am grateful that some of the frustrations of yesterday are likely not to be as bad as they initially seemed.

Tonight I am grateful that my desire to stay sober has overwhelmed my desire to drink.

Tonight I am grateful that my desire and ability to write poetry that isn't utter crap is slowly returning.

Tonight I am grateful for what I am learning about language, psychology, and the human mind.

Tonight I am grateful that, despite impassioned debates over our differing politics, my father and I can get along, and that we genuinely love each other.

Tonight I am grateful that my mother is, at her core, one tough chick.

Tonight I am grateful for friends willing to give honest opinions regarding the young woman on whom I have designs.

Tonight I am grateful that I <i>may</i> have had the learning opportunity of failure in regard to my pursuit of that young woman.

Tonight I am thankful that my screenname here reminds me of several things related to why I am trying to maintain sobriety: To frame my fearful symmetry... to find the anvil, find the chain... to move the furnace from 'round my brain... to find if He who made the Lamb made me...

Tonight I'm grateful for a future which simply <i>must</i> have better leaders than the clowns we have now.

Tonight I am grateful for the words of Abraham Lincoln when he said, "Whatever you are, be a great one".

Tonight I am grateful for the phrase, "It's easier to get forgiveness than it is to get permission", which is rapidly teaching me to be less of a shy person.

Tonight I'm thankful for my communication with ROFL, whom I'm praying and thinking good thoughts for while she is away being tempted.

Tonight I'm grateful to be heading into an easier workday tomorrow, and am not ungrateful for having to work six days a week.

And, finally, as always tonight I am grateful to myself, to my higher power, and to those who've been supportive of me for helping me back to a healthy mind and body.

THIS DOES MEAN YOU, FELLOW FORUMITES!

Thanks to the two of you-- Aa Vark and Rusty Z.!

All the best, and the best of all possible tomorrows to each of us!

B'sT
Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This weekend ends; and so begins another week, full of life's lessons, difficulties, and opportunities.

Tonight I am grateful for having had a wonderful day off today.

Tonight I am grateful for the close friends with whom I just had dinner.

Tonight I am grateful for that dinner, which was no doubt the best meal I've eaten in many months.

Tonight I am grateful that, at strongest, my desire to drink is currently fleeting.

Tonight I am grateful for the roof over my head, the job awaiting me tomorrow, and the food in my belly.

Tonight I am still grateful for all of the things I have mentioned in this thread in days past.

Tonight I am grateful for google video, which (somehow) has at least two of my favorite documentaries-- "Hearts and Minds", and "Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room".

Tonight I am grateful for fleece.

Tonight I am grateful for my climbing gym, which really saved me from a negative attitude today.

Tonight I am grateful for Doo-Wop. That's right-- Doo-Wop.

Tonight I am grateful that I can laugh, even when things aren't closed properly in my fridge and proceed to spill completely all over my kitchen floor when I pick them up.

Tonight I am grateful that I can laugh at life's complications, even when they aren't as trivial as a refrigerator mishap.

Tonight I am grateful to have been sober a full week.

Tonight I am grateful for tomorrow morning, which I'm looking forward to.

And it goes without saying, though I always say it anyway, that tonight I am grateful to myself, to my higher power, and to all those who've been supportive and helpful to me on my long journey back to a healthy mind and body.

B'sT
Old 01-16-2008, 10:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Today was a busy day, and busy days and busi(ness) will always bring their challenges. Thank God for them.

Tonight, I am grateful for friends with whom I can discuss religion openly, and who have rational heads on their shoulders and some of the same frustrations with closed-mindedness I do.

Tonight I am again grateful for my sober place.

Tonight I am grateful for SoberRecovery.com, which has helped me tremendously. I didn't go to my meeting tonight, but got a beneficial experience instead from reading posts from all my compatriots on these boards.

In addition, I am grateful to have a thread like this to post in, where I have the opportunity to conciously meditate on some of the things that have helped make this day, and the rest of my sobriety-related life possible.

Tonight I am grateful for the stars. I've made the decision to start learning the names and locations of the constellations, because they're all so beautiful...and because the only one I can ever find is "Orion".

Tonight I am grateful for the business workshop I will be attending tomorrow.

Tonight I am grateful for enough food in my fridge and spice rack to improvize a tasty dinner-- Penne + Spinach + Sauce + Garlic + Chili Powder and Pepper, with a little Parmesian = deliciousness...and bad breath.

Tonight I am grateful that, for the past ten days, anyone who has gotten close enough to me to smell my breath has not --could not have-- smelled any trace of alcohol.

Tonight I am grateful for my bathtub.

Tonight I am grateful for Esquire magazine.

Tonight I am grateful that the Girl Scouts starts selling their wonderous cookies THIS SATURDAY!

Tonight I am grateful that X will be touring heavily in 2008, and I will get to see them in April.

Tonight I am grateful for music that calms me, including Julie London, Massive Attack, Michael Nyman, and Lenny Kravitz's song "Little Girl's Eyes".

Tonight I am grateful for an increasingly-clean apartment. (Yay sobriety!)

Tonight I am grateful for my ongoing dialogue with ROFL, who I hope I'm helping as much as she's been helping me.

Tonight, unfortunately, I'm grateful for cigarettes.

Tonight I am grateful that I was able to keep everyone relatively calm during a fairly tense business meeting today.

Tonight I am grateful for Craig Fergusen, because while I hesitate to admit it, his monologue regarding Britney Spears and about his own sobriety really led me to embrace sobriety and give up my hard-boozing ways.

Tonight I am grateful for the fact that I really don't feel like drinking. It just doesn't have any appeal to me tonight, other than a couple VERY momentary flashes of desire.

Tonight I am thankful for The Dhammapada, which says plainly anyone trying to bring control, clarity, and understanding into their mind should refrain from any intoxicant.

Tonight...I am glad...that I'm soo...(yawn) TIRRRREED!

And as always, tonight I am grateful to myself, to my higher power, and to all those who've been supportive and helpful to me in creating, maintaining, and mastering my sobriety.

B'sT
Old 01-17-2008, 01:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

" Tonight I am grateful that my desire to stay sober has overwhelmed my desire to drink"
AWESOME !!!
Old 01-17-2008, 02:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

BT
rational heads
there a a few out there!

thankful for The Dhammapada, which says plainly anyone trying to bring control, clarity, and understanding into their mind should refrain from any intoxicant.
how simple huh!

grateful for this thread...

blessings

rz
Old 01-17-2008, 10:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Today was full of frustration, stagnation, and disappointment in the performance of others and myself.
It is best not to meditate on these things. Instead,

Tonight I am grateful to be learning things in business that people twice my age are learning for the first time.

Tonight I am grateful for the ease which many new technologies bring to our lives.

Tonight I am grateful for the words a wise, dear old friend told me while he was still alive: Trouble's okay.

Tonight I am grateful that, if there is such a place as Heaven, this friend on mine is undoubtedly there.

Tonight I am grateful for those little candy hearts-- an addiction in and of themselves.

Tonight I am grateful for grocery shopping, which has helped me procure lots of good, healthy things...and NO WINE.

Tonight I am grateful that a good friend is back in town, safely, from overseas.

Tonight I am grateful for people who remind me how lucky I am to have a relatively healthy mind, especially when it's unclouded by alcohol.

Tonight I am grateful for my alarm clock, which will be both my friend and nemesis tomorrow at 5:00am.

Tonight I am grateful to have the ability to pay my bills tomorrow.

Tonight I am grateful that business is picking up.

Tonight I am grateful for myspace and facebook, despite the fact that I am not a high schooler any longer.

Tonight I am grateful for my practice of meditation.

Tonight I am grateful for the happiness of an old friend and his fiance, who recently became engaged.

Tonight I am grateful for my dreams, which have begun making more sense out of my unconcious mind.

Tonight I am grateful for Fatburger, where they do indeed make a fat burger. With a "ph" for fat, upon special order.

Tonight I'm grateful for my chilly apartment, firm bed, and big warm comforter; which is exactly how I like to sleep.

Tonight I am grateful for tealights. Relaxing, relaxing tealights.

Tonight I am grateful that, in all likelihood, I've got another blessed day spent above ground tomorrow.

and Tonight, of course, I am grateful to myself, to my higher power, and to all those who've been supportive and helpful to me in maintaining and mastering my sobriety.

THIS MEANS YOU.

Thanks to all, and good night!

All the best,

B'sT
Old 01-17-2008, 10:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I dont know how I missed this I am sorry but I am so grateful that my HP put it in my path because toingt I am also grateful for you!!!!
Old 01-18-2008, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Today has been a day of experience, encouragement, depression, and feelings of being trapped.
But I would be lying to say that I wasn't incredibly grateful for the day it turned out to be.

Tonight I am grateful, again, for this website. I would not be approaching the two week mark without it. Pure and simple-- I would not have made it this far.

Tonight I am grateful for my fish. They aren't very personable, but they keep me company nonetheless.

Tonight I am grateful for the ocean.

Tonight I am grateful for my sobriety, which is -at least for the moment- in no danger whatsoever.

Tonight I am grateful for socks. Big. Comfy. White. Socks.

Tonight I am grateful for ahi, and the success of the meal I created using it-- brown rice, thin slices of raw tuna, and grilled asparagus, with wasabi and entirely drizzled with a wasabi-soy reduction and sliced almonds. I will make this again.

Tonight I am grateful for the opportunity to take some time for meditation here at the end of the day.

Tonight I am grateful for my phone, which not only allows me to reach my friends, but now -gasp!- accepts and sends email! Holy crap!

Tonight I am grateful for water. Just plain, simple, life-giving water.

Tonight I am grateful that I have so much room to improve in my life. I am far -far!- far, from perfect, and that is an opportunity to grow each day.

Tonight I am grateful that another good friend of mine appears to have quit drinking.

Tonight I am grateful for Kurt Vonnegut. So it goes.

Tonight I am grateful because I feel like I'm getting closer to understanding/identifying/submitting to my Higher Power.

Tonight I am grateful for Wildkatz and the nice post she left me above.

Tonight I am grateful for tonight.

Finally, tonight, I am grateful to myself, to my higher power (whether we're speaking in the same language yet or not), and to everyone who has been there for me, helped me, and cheered me on in this drive toward permanent sobriety.

Love and all the best, always,

B'sT
Old 01-19-2008, 05:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

grateful, i pedal the bike, HP steers!

just please HP, watch where your go'n!
Old 01-21-2008, 10:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Today was marked by confusion, frustration, moderate successes, and pensiveness.
Tomorrow promises many challenges, which I will meet head-on and for which I will be grateful.

Tonight I'm grateful, again, for these forums. Whether I'm as supportive of others as I should be or not, this is for me a much-needed outlet.

Tonight I'm grateful for tenacity and proof that hard work will eventually pay off.

Tonight I'm grateful to be getting back in shape, and that the results are already noticable.

Tonight I'm grateful for family, both close and extended.

Tonight I'm grateful for Pandora.com.

Tonight I'm grateful for the ability to write music.

Tonight I'm grateful for the nerve it took to ask out a girl who caught my interest, and tonight I'm grateful that her response was, so far, promising. Either that, or I'm getting blown-off slowly, which would also be okay.

Tonight I'm grateful to be regaining a quality of organization, which has allowed me to structure my bills in a way where they'll all ACTUALLY GET PAID.

Tonight I'm grateful for string cheese. Yup-- I'm 12 at heart.

Tonight I'm grateful for Family Guy episodes I've never seen.

Tonight I'm grateful to whoever posted info on the internet regarding how to get music from an ipod onto a new PC.

Tonight I'm grateful that I'm excited about the idea of getting up before dawn tomorrow.

Tonight I'm grateful that there no longer seems to be an army of moths attacking my clothing.

Tonight I'm grateful for my weekly tennis match tomorrow.

Tonight I'm grateful for having been raised to be a gentleman.

Again, tonight I'm grateful that I have (at this point) a tentative coffee date with a cute, short, genuinely kind-hearted woman I met yesterday.

Tonight I'm grateful to ROFL, who not only gave me great input regarding aforementioned female, but has also kept on keepin' on with me along the long, steady walk down Sobriety Road.

Tonight I'm grateful that my apartment looks at least decent. It had relularly been in emberressing shape over the past couple years.

Tonight I'm grateful that it's been over two weeks since I've needed my old routine of "Wake up, shower, wash out mouth, throat, and tongue, vomit (optional), coat eyes with extensive amount of Visine, brush teeth and tongue, vomit (again, optional), re-rinse mouth, check overall status, leave for work."

Tonight I'm glad to have spent all my extra energy today. I am now exhausted and ready for bed.

Tonight I'm grateful to be on day 15-- no longer such a newbie, but a newbie nonetheless!

Tonight, like I say every time, I'm truly greatful above all to myself, my Higher Power, and to those (each individually and as a group) who have been there to support me while I'm undergone this perspective-shattering lifestyle change.

So all the best to all my forumites! Three cheers for our mutual encouragements.

All the best,

B'sT
Old 01-22-2008, 10:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

B'sT you are my friend and partner in sobriety! How did I get so lucky to start stopping the same day you did! I'm grateful for that and for you.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Today was full of blah feelings, sluggishness, mistakes, and contemplation.

Tonight I'm grateful to be able to learn from mistakes-- I had allergies (stuffy head, etc) for the first time I can ever remember. Took a Benedryl this morning thinking it'd help. It did, though I also learned that Benedryl also makes for confusion, spaciness, and general feelings of BLAHH.

Tonight I'm grateful to be going to bed so early.

Tonight I'm grateful for --and saddened by-- the passing of Heath Ledger. No disrespect intended whatsoever, but this situation serves as an illustration of why I'm here. My heart absolutely breaks for his friends and for his family. THERE, BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD, GO I. May I never forget that.

Tonight I'm grateful, once again, for my sober place. It saved me from my thoughts and temptations again this evening.

Tonight I'm grateful not to the forums here in particular, but instead to some of the wonderful people I've found here. I've asked several to become my "friends", and share a bond of solidarity as well as a sobriety date with ROFL, who I'm grateful to be talking to. I hope to get to know many of my compatriots better as time continues.

Tonight I'm grateful for my couch. Without it, I'd be writing from the floor. Oh, and it's comfy too.

Tonight I'm grateful for the music of The Magnetic Fields and the John Butler Trio, especially's John Butler's song "I Used to Get High".

Tonight I'm grateful to be gaining (albeit slowly) better perspective on what's important in my life and what's not. What I should be worrying about...and what I shouldn't.

Tonight I'm grateful to Thich Nhat Hanh and his writing, which has led me to realize that certain television and radio programs literally aren't healthy for me.

Tonight I'm grateful for fruit. Banana, orange, pear, apple-- they're there, awaiting my choice among them in the morning tomorrow.

Tonight I'm grateful for grape juice. It's not wine, but it sure is tasty!

Tonight I'm grateful to have all the music on my computer working again.

Tonight I'm grateful (again) that I never have to take Benedryl during the daytime EVER AGAIN. (Seriously, I don't recommend it).

Tonight I'm grateful for the possibility of tomorrow being the absolutely wonderous day I am envisioning it to be. No expectations-- just a hopeful ideal.

Tonight, I am still overwhelmed with gratitude to my higher power and to each and every person here who's written to me, related to me, or responded to anything I posted in anyone's thread. I'm grateful to myself as well, as I always mention, but tonight I'm only grateful to myself for making it this far.

Viva Sobriety!

And once again, all due respect to Heath Ledger and his family. I am not grateful for his death-- only for the fact that I may learn from it. May it remind us all that we are, in fact, fragile creatures.

B'sT
Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Today was full of rain, frustration, hecticness, and accomplishment.
Tonight is full of feelings of overwhelming temptation locking horns with the knowledge that I would deeply regret giving in when I awoke hungover tomorrow morning.

Tonight I'm grateful for the rain. I love the rain.

Tonight I'm grateful for the knowledge that I am greater than the forces tempting me.

Tonight I'm grateful to be getting out of town tomorrow.

Tonight I'm grateful for my new underwear. A friend used to sell them, and she's getting rid of the rest of her supply. $3. a pop, and they're the greatest, comfiest things ever.

Tonight. I'm. Grateful. For.
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!
winewinewinewinewinewinewinewine NO.

Tonight I'm grateful for my windchimes, which are being kept plenty busy by the rain and wind.

Tonight I'm grateful for meditation. It will save me from myself in my final moments this evening.

Tonight I'm grateful that Microsoft has good customer service.
...gee, I wonder if it sounds like I'm reaching tonight. grasping at straws.

Tonight I'm grateful to have been able to accomplish so much today.

Tonight I'm grateful for a new story idea, which I can try to start writing tomorrow.

Tonight I'm grateful that this is as cold as it gets in my part of the country.

Tonight I'm grateful for the ability to change who I am for the better, a little more each day.

Tonight I'm grateful for my dog. The only living thing that's excited to see me EVERY time she sees me, even if I've only been away a minute.

Tonight I'm grateful that I can just go to sleep and not be awake any longer. I can dream about anything and be okay. I just can't sleepwalk into a liquor store.

Tonight I'm grateful that most nights aren't as difficult as tonight.

B'sT
Old 01-23-2008, 08:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Living in gratitude makes a huge difference. thanks for the reminder !!!
Keeping our glasses half full (and not half empty) gets easier the more we practice.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

and with time, we wont even need a glass...

the 180 degree change!

xxoo

rz
Old 01-26-2008, 10:23 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Today and yesterday were full of learning, tiredness, meditation, and temptation.
Many things are good.

Tonight I'm grateful for the books I'm reading-- "Wicked", which is a far more interesting story than I'd expected; "Wikinomics", which has been fairly worthwhile, and "Using Your Brain for Change", which is really helping me with some of my temptations tonight.

Tonight I'm grateful to have learned what I've learned these past two days.

Tonight I'm grateful to be back at home after two nights away.

Tonight I'm grateful for old 70's Soul classics.

Tonight I'm grateful for the technological monkey that is YouTube. Dance, Monkey! Dance!

Tonight I'm grateful for Mochi. Japanese propensity for chewy sweet things meets ice cream. Feel it.

Tonight I'm grateful to have gotten over the craving for wine that was here just a half-hour ago.

Tonight I'm grateful for apples. Juicy, dark green apples.

Tonight I'm grateful that my sobriety-date buddy is still holding strong. I think we've both had long weekends.

Tonight I'm grateful to have written my first decent poem in a long while.

Tonight I'm grateful that the rain didn't start until I was nearly home.

Tonight I'm grateful for the twenty-seven years I've had upon this Earth, even if I wasn't entirely present for several of them.

Tonight I'm grateful for each and every day I'll have in the future.

And as I say, tonight I'm grateful for myself, my Higher Power, and for all those on these forums and outside who have been a positive support in my still-not-entirely-comfortable sobriety.

Tonight I'm grateful.

Tonight I'm grateful.

Always,

B'sT