Notices

Tonight, I'm Grateful

Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Today was full of hectic-ness, stress, and tiny whirlwinds.
The effort I gave to today has left me spent, and I am grateful.

Tonight I'm grateful for all those who peak in at this thread; and to ROFL who was sweet enough to worry about how I was doing when I didn't post here last night.

Tonight I'm grateful for The Zombies' "She's Not There" and Edison Lighthouse's "Love Grows". I'm not entirely sure why. They've just made me feel good today.

Tonight I'm grateful to not be as wrapped up in politics as I used to be, although I will say that I'm grateful that 1) Rudy Giuliani is dropping out tomorrow, AND that 2) on the Democratic side, Florida has zero delegates for the Primary.

Tonight I'm grateful for friends with Girl Scout Cookie connections.

Tonight I'm grateful for my new book, "In Cold Blood" by Capote; which I've wanted to read for a long time.

Tonight I'm grateful to have had such a big project today.

Tonight I'm grateful for the phrase "Turtles all the way down". I'm just starting "A Brief History of Time", and it's in a joke right at the beginning. "Turtles all the way down". How can you not smile while saying that?

Tonight I'm thankful for the daily, almost hourly opportunities to be a good, kind, decent human being.

Tonight I'm grateful for hydrogen peroxide. This morning a cut from climbing opened on my hand, and my new (and favorite) tie got a big blood spot on it. Help me, hydrogen peroxide-- You're my only hope.

Tonight I'm grateful for graphic novels. I've suddenly become intriegued by darker-noir-type Batman stuff, and although I realize this earns me a new badge in the "I'm-A-Huge-Dork"-Scouts, some of the Batman graphic novels are terrific.

Tonight I'm grateful for my favorite myspace blog. H.B.Wndr, let's say, is absolutely brilliant. Her sharp wit is draws more blood than a straightrazor.

Tonight I'm grateful to be sleepy.

Tonight I'm grateful to be done with my responsibilities for today. And that includes this half-assed sendoff:
Every day I'm thankful for the little guy (me), the big guy (HP), the other people and the people who aren't just the others, and for the opportunity to live sober...which really feels pretty good!

Best,

B'sT
Old 02-01-2008, 08:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Today was full of rushing feelings, moments of panic, a lot of work, and a tiny bit of rain.

Tonight I am grateful for the ability to...strongly ATTEMPT to not let bitter, unhappy people bother me. A total ******* being nasty and telling me to suck his d--k for my effort at being friendly would have, at one time, totally ruined my day.

Ahem. Before I go on...GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!
whew. Where was I?

Tonight I'm grateful for my friends- I am truly blessed to know some really amazing people.

Tonight I'm grateful for any given bbq-style hamburger. Once a month or so, it's a monster of a temptation that can only be tamed through cow, cheese, onion rings, bacon, and barbecue sauce.

Tonight I'm grateful for the ocean. It's too cold to go in at the moment, but it's beautiful to see.

Tonight I'm grateful for a positive attitude and the joy that comes with living in the moment. I just wish everyone (see person mentioned above) shared a positive outlook.

Tonight I'm grateful for the BBC News website, which is a great resource for world-wide news. It might not have the latest info on the Latest Missing Pretty Blond Girl, but if you want to know what's happening in Africa...Andorra...Angola...it's a good spot.

Tonight I'm grateful for "Comptine d'un autre ete: l'Apres Midi", by Tann Tiersen; which is both beautiful and a little challenging for me on the piano.

Tonight I'm grateful for edamame and pistachios-- arguably the two greatest worktime-snacks in the world.

Tonight I'm grateful to be DONE with today.

Today I'm grateful for AAA. Today was my first time ever locking my keys in my car. Hopefully it will be the last.

Tonight I'm grateful for this: YouTube - Indian thriller with lyrics *thnx bufflax
Calm down and park that comfy shin guard armor. Ah...truer words were never spoken.

Tonight I'm grateful for coffee, my sometimes-morning savior.

Tonight I'm grateful to be working for a great company. A green company too!

Tonight I'm grateful, of course, to my Higher Power, and to my friends both here in the forums and in my everyday existance.

Tonight I hope that each and every member of these forums has an easy, mellow, happy, SOBER evening and a wonderful weekend as well!

All the best,

B'sT
Old 02-02-2008, 03:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

grateful that feelings, are just that... feelings!

you have a who's got it beter then us weekend too B'sT

rz
Old 02-05-2008, 01:46 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Today was marked by appointments, obligations, anxiety, and wondering how to fit it all into twenty-four hours while still maintaining some sort of a life.
Tonight, I remain bewildered.

Tonight I'm grateful for good friends, and a chance to get out of town to make a good dinner.

Tonight I'm grateful for Loveline-- I first heard this show when I was fifteen, but haven't heard it for years. I always liked the show, and now --I suspect because of the VH1 reality program-- a huge number of the calls seem to be about addiction. As Barbara Kruger put it, 'I have become a Target Audience'.

Tonight I'm grateful for grits. So many people hate grits without having any idea what they are, besides knowing they come from the South, and "sound yucky". But no-- grits are wonderful.

Tonight I'm grateful for fountains, fireplaces, and in-wall music control systems that allow you to drown out road noise. I have none of these things, but they're helping nonetheless.

Tonight I'm grateful to have had another productive day.

Tonight I'm grateful to live along such a picturesque coastline.

Tonight I'm grateful for the appearances of roads --ideas of roads-- that will take me where I want to go.

Tonight I'm grateful that the Presidential Primaries are about to begin their slow down after supertuesday (they will, won't they?)

Tonight I'm grateful for the automated phone call I got from the Democratic Party telling me that as an Independant I must specifically request a Democratic Ballod in order to be able to vote for Barack Obama, who is my strong choice so far.

Tonight I'm grateful for the way my apartment went completely quiet the moment the refridgerator stopped running

Tonight I'm grateful for internet newssites.

Tonight I'm grateful for all the healthy things I really like to eat-- spinach, asparagus, green beans, edemame, brown rice, raw fish, free range chicken, broccolli, black beans, walnuts, tea, arugula, strawberries, green apples, oranges, and pears. There's just SO much good stuff out there when you're willing to look.

Tonight I'm grateful for the promise of a clear, sunny day tomorrow and all the many experiences it will bring.

Tonight I'm grateful for the 30% chance that I'll never again have to run into that immature old guy who yelled and swore at me and made my work significantly harder to do properly. My religious studies (not to mention the response from the other people there) make me feel like I handled this guy well....but that sure doesn't mean I have to look forward to seeing him again.

Tonight I'm grateful for The Royal Tannenbaums

Tonight I'm grateful that I would not trade the vacancy of my lovelife away for the crazinsanitine lovelife full of locust plagues that one of my friends is in the middle of dealing with.

Tonight I'm grateful to EVERYTHING. To my HP, my family and friends, and to the sober world.

B'sT
Old 02-05-2008, 09:39 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Today was highlighted by sunshine, moderate productivity, and a general swellness.

Tonight I'm grateful to be hearing Diana Krall sing "Fly Me to the Moon" on Pandora.com.

Tonight I'm grateful to not be thinking about booze. Except right now. Now. Er...Now. Other than thinking about not thinking about it, I mean.

Tonight I'm grateful to have found my climbing gym. I love doing this.

Tonight I'm grateful that the rain is, at least for now, GONE!

Tonight I'm grateful to have seen the snow-covered mountains in the distance today. I can't wait to go.

Tonight I'm grateful for Nina Simone's voice.

Tonight I'm grateful to have gotten to read some in two of my current books.

Tonight I'm grateful for sunsets, and the way their reflection glows pink off the hillsides.

Tonight I'm grateful to have enough milk, cereal, and green tea for tomorrow morning.

Tonight I'm grateful that I'll likely be up real early tomorrow.

Tonight I'm downright indebted to my Higher Power, my amigos and amigas on these boards, to my life experiences, and to every little thing that makes my sobriety continue indefinately. Definately continue indefinately, that is.

Happy Sobriety to All, and to All a Good Night!!!

Best,

B'sT
Old 02-06-2008, 03:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

grateful i have found another person that uses the word... "swell"

grateful for diana kralls music and voice...
Old 02-07-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Today was full of energy, relative-productivity, and unwavering optimism.
May tomorrow be the same or better.

Tonight I'm grateful for NoDrinkingZone's thoughtfulness in starting a Congrats on 1 Month thread for ROFL and me.

Tonight I'm grateful for the Del Vikings' "Come and Go With Me", which has been in my head all day.

Tonight I'm grateful for Joe vs. the Volcano, which is one of my favorite movies; and is always brought to mind by that song.

Tonight I'm grateful for Trader Joe's, though I'm glad to be staying out of their wine section!

Tonight I'm grateful for my family. We don't always get along, but it's because we share the same stubborn tenacity...which somehow simultaneously makes them endlessly endearing.

Tonight I'm grateful to have set a standard that I DO NOT answer my phone for business-related things past 9:00.
Rats-- actually...my old pot hook up just left a message.

Tonight I'm grateful to be confident in handling that conversation tomorrow.

Tonight I'm grateful for text messaging-- it didn't used to be the case that I'd hear from an old friend in Colorado, saying "I hope your Grandma's doing better". Pretty cool.

Tonight I'm grateful for the ability to smile. In general, and at life's little difficulties.

Tonight I'm grateful for the way some girls can pull off...eye liner? Whatever it is that creates that outline and makes their eyes all the more striking.

Tonight I'm grateful for Esquire magazine and the Wall Street Journal. Two of my very favorite publications, and they both came today!

Tonight I'm grateful to have gotten to the gym before the "We climb twenty-five hours a day" crowd.

Tonight I'm grateful to know that things will be okay. No matter what happens, until my last breath, I will find a way to handle whatever comes my way.

Tonight I'm grateful to have PAID RENT!

Tonight I'm grateful to be going to bed before 9:30, so I can be up before 6:00 again tomorrow.

Tonight I'm grateful for chamomile tea. I've taken something to help me sleep on a few harder nights, and am glad that tea and a handful of walnuts will usually do the trick.

Tonight I'm grateful to be gaining the perspective that my past disasters with women are actually just learning experiences. I guess I can think of many things I've learned for the future!

Tonight I'm grateful to be averaging two or so cigarettes a night. Not necessarily the ideal (zero), but serious progress nonetheless.

Tonight I'm grateful for my neighbors-- they're each reflections in their own way of exactly why I love this town.

Tonight I'm grateful for the little Buddha my friend gave me a short time ago. My only Buddha statue, and he's not all austere and meditative-- but he certainly looks happy!

Tonight I'm grateful for the Ramones, because I really do believe that they saved rock and roll.

Tonight I'm really grateful that drinking is no longer how I want to end my day-- it's been replaced by these posts, by my PMs, and by the rest of the forums. I know I say it all the time, but YOU GUYS ARE ABSOLUTE ROCK STARS. Rock stars, without the drugs and trashed hotel rooms, that is.

A special thanks to Rusty Zipper, who always seems to peek into my little ramblings here!

Tonight, of course, I'm grateful for my Higher Power, for those who inspire and encourage me here on these boards, to my newfound willpower, and for the overwhelming experience of getting sober.

All the best,

B'sT
Old 02-08-2008, 02:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

peek-a-boo B'sT

ramble on!

and congratultions...

see what gratitude can do!

a grateful drunk/drug'y... will never use again!

xxoo & blessings
Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today was comprised of errands, friends, reading, and relaxation.
I am grateful for my one day off a week.

Tonight I'm grateful that my friends are doing something called "Sobebruary", or "Black February", which entails everyone not drinking during the entire month. For the rest of the month I won't be in tempting situations with those friends!!!

Tonight I'm grateful for my feelings of discontent regarding the state of my apartment. It needs cleaning. Used to be that I was fine with this place being in ruins, but in sobriety I find myself highly motivated to make it apparent that something HUMAN lives here.

Tonight I'm thankful for vitamins, and for the fact that the girl at the Vitamin Shoppe thought I was cute. Can B-Complexes screw you up if taken regularly? The dosage is something like 2000% your daily recommended average, but B's have totally become my newest, grooviest friends. They do as much or more for my mornings than any cup of coffee.

Tonight I'm grateful for pizza shared amongst friends.

Tonight I'm grateful for the return to the country of one of my best friends (who happens to have a terrible fear of flying).

Tonight I'm grateful for Tylenol PM, which is apparently working. I don't feel drunk, per say, but every step I take is a lunching, falling motion. Though I am grateful that this will help me get a good night's rest, I am again grateful that tea and walnuts usually do the trick.

Tonight I'm greatful that Barack Obama swept the last few primaries. I don't know who I'll vote for in the actual presidential election, but right now it's him. I'd like to see him and McCain facing off, really defining their approaches to issues. THEN I'll decide who to vote for. I won't vote for Hillary, and I think a LOT of people in America would come out simply to vote against her. She's not electable on a national level; Barack is. Let's finish off these primaries so we can get some play between Obama and McCain!

Tonight I'm grateful for my new coat-- my Christmas gift, which I got to pick up from the tailor today.

Tonight I'm grateful for my few friends in decent relationships. L&C, K&N....and for the fact that most of my friends are with me on the "single" bus.

Tonight I'm grateful for my newest career consideration. I won't write it here, but it requires going to grad school. For a while.

Tonight I'm grateful for the hills, covered in grass and other greenery this time of year, just after the rains.

Tonight I'm grateful that all of the junk food I let sneak into this house over the week is GONE. Of course, a lot of it is gone to my belly...but at least it's all gone.

Tonight I am grateful for Blazing Saddles being on TV today. Great Mel Brooks movie.

Tonight I am grateful to be snug in my bed before 9:30.

And tonight grateful hp lp, all frnds and prtnrs in sbrty

All the best,

B'sT
Old 02-11-2008, 03:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I'm grateful that my friends are doing something called "Sobebruary", or "Black February", which entails everyone not drinking during the entire month.
ut-oh... conditions!

hiya B'sT
Old 02-13-2008, 08:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Today was defined by cold, cloudy weather, general unproductiveness, and half-successful attempts at "letting go".

Tonight I'm grateful that work is keeping me so busy.

Tonight I'm grateful to be getting traffic school out of the way tomorrow, and simultaneously avoiding Valentine's Day.

Tonight I'm grateful for patience. UPS lost my Amazon order, which consisted of two highly-recommended books about sobriety...but it's okay-- I can wait. At least, I'm trying very hard not to whine.

Tonight I'm grateful for my tennis partner. I am incredibly thankful to have a good game to play once a week.

Tonight I'm grateful to have FINALLY cleaned out my car.

Tonight I'm grateful for the library. I'll be grateful when my overdue fines are paid too! I'm 95% certain that the librarians are stalking me in the shadows, ninjalike, waiting for the moment to take me captive...torturing me into paying my overdue fees.

Tonight I'm grateful for the ability to blog on this site-- it's a great outlet, and will be until all this self-centeredness begins to fade. It will fade, right? Please tell me I'm doomed to being a selfish ******* forever.

Tonight I'm grateful to have gotten a haircut.

Tonight I'm grateful for the ease of Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com. Without them, I wouldn't have been able to order those two books at all. Even if they haven't arrived as they should have...which I'm no longer ruminating about. I swear.

Tonight I'm grateful for a friend who is setting up her own business right in the dead center of town. I'm very proud of her.

Tonight I'm grateful for chopsticks. Why I love using chopsticks so very much, I don't know.

Tonight I'm grateful to have a printer here in the apartment.

Tonight I'm grateful, again, to have discovered Sober Recovery.com

Tonight I'm grateful to have not wasted money on booze.

Tonight I'm grateful, of course, to my Higher Power, to these forums and everyone on them, and for the opportunity to be grateful one more beautiful (albeit cloudy) day.

B'sT
Old 02-14-2008, 04:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

B'sT
and will be until all this self-centeredness begins to fade. It will fade, right? Please tell me I'm doomed to being a selfish ******* forever.
nah!

its a inside job tho!

grateful to be able to see the self-centeredness, and able to change!
Old 02-14-2008, 10:56 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Today was full of anxiety, half-done tasks, and traffic school.

Tonight I'm grateful that traffic school is now halfway over.

Tonight I'm grateful for my two new books, which arrived today! The first-- "The Tao of Sobriety" is terrific so far.

Tonight I'm grateful for BLTs. Yep, the sandwich. What a fantastic lunch.

Tonight I'm grateful that traffic school went fairly quickly, thanks in part to the fact that I spent most of the time reading "For a Future to be Possible".

Tonight I'm grateful for a clear weather forecast for tomorrow.

Tonight I'm grateful for my sober place.

Tonight I'm grateful for my partner in sobriety, whom I haven't gotten to write back yet today. In order to do so and still get to bed on time, I will be ending this gratitude list early.

But that doesn't mean I'm not grateful, as always, to my Higher Power, to these forums, to all of the people on here who have helped me, shared their stories with me, and encouraged me in one way or another, and to my friends and family.

I hope everyone on these boards has a wonderful, peaceful, and sober evening. And to those who have a Valentine, Happy Valentine's Day!

All the best,

B'sT
Old 02-18-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Today was busy, a bit shakey, and extremely contemplative.

Tonight I am grateful to be back to sobriety after a brief slip.

Tonight I am grateful to not be beating myself up anymore about this slip.

Tonight I am grateful for the hangover which ruined my day off on Sunday, reminding me of what a huge mistake I'd made.

Tonight I'm grateful for the "Tao of Sobriety" and "One Breath At a Time", both of which are proving helpful.

Tonight I'm grateful to have learned Massive Attack's "Teardrop" on the piano.

Tonight I am grateful for stir-fried vegetables.

Tonight I am grateful for the early birthday present a good friend gave me-- a hollow cube candle holder with the Eye of Fatima/Hamsa Hand symbol on each side.

Tonight I am grateful that my sobriety partner hasn't given up on me.

Tonight I am grateful to have plans to go to Pasadena tomorrow evening. My chance to get away-- to "escape", but without my previous methods of escape.

Tonight I am grateful to have found the time today to finish laundry.

Tonight I am grateful for a new perspective-- I don't drink anymore. I just don't. It's not something I plan on struggling with. It's not something I'm going to endlessly ruminate on. I am simply done. I have drawn the line, and it's absolute. End of discussion.

Tonight I am grateful to, again, have my sobriety back. Even after the hangover yesterday, I was shaking and just feeling blech. I really appreciate how good this feels.

Tonight I am grateful to be staying in each present moment, at least as best I can. I don't want my head to be anywhere else-- I want to be RIGHT HERE.

Tonight I'm grateful for House. One of my new favorite shows. Maybe not a great "medical drama" or anything, but it's an entertaining character study.

Tonight I am SO VERY grateful for these forums, for my blog, and for those who post here. I don't know where I'd be in my process without this place and everyone who participates in it.

Tonight I am grateful for the two other people's blogs I've started reading-- one by someone who puts things marvelously, and another whose story is incredibly engaging. I look forward to reading more from both of these two. (edit: God of my Understanding, if you are indeed a concious being, please do keep these two people safe).

Tonight I am grateful to my HP, to my sobriety partner, to these boards and everyone here, and to myself for finally emancipating my mind. More good is to come.

Out of love, kindness, compassion, and a gratefulness for this and every moment,

B'sT

Last edited by Blake'sTyger; 02-18-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

B'sT... you ok?
Old 02-24-2008, 03:06 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Rats!!!

I posted a gratitude last night (or so I thought) and it's gone! How did I screw that up?!

RZ, thank you very much for the concern-- I'm here, I'm good, and I'm sober. I'm also very irked at my computer's refusal to post my gratitude!

B'sT
Old 02-24-2008, 06:02 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

grateful B's okay, and grateful i am too!

ok's, way better then lousy!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:43 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Today was acted upon in alignment with the new set of guidelines I've given myself. It was busy, stressful, yet complete.
I am trying not to worry about the future.

Tonight I'm grateful to have worked so hard. It's nice when there is a feeling of focus through the day.

Tonight I'm grateful for the PMs I got from a few people who read my blog and worried about how I was doing. Just knowing people cared helped me immensely.

Tonight I'm grateful for my increasing confidence and decreasing shyness. I met some very nice people today.

Tonight I'm grateful for energy-- a very full day of work, then an hour at the gym...and after my hour was done, I still wanted to climb. So I stayed for another hour! I feel great, though it turns out the law of diminishing returns applies to things like climbing-- after a certain point, it's harder and harder to get up routes I could do easily earlier.

Tonight I'm grateful to have had a little alone time at the pool to sit and do a kind of casual meditation, not to mention some reading.

Tonight I'm grateful for my sobriety partner, who doesn't always realize what an inspiration she is.

Tonight I'm grateful for my computer. Without it, what-- I'd have to go into the office if I wanted to do my gratitudes, or check the news, or email...

Tonight I'm grateful for a wonderful dinner last night with friends. It was terrific-- I seared ahi, a friend made an amazing steak salad, and everyone drank wine...except me! Not even tempted!

Tonight I'm grateful for the business opportunities I have, and that I'm creating more all the time.

Tonight I'm grateful that the gentleman I dealt with the other week, who was snide and snarky and impolitely asked me to perform felatio on him, was unpleasant-yet-meek when I dealt with him today. He doesn't have to like me or people in my line of work in general, but he's also realizing he's in no place to be...well, let's leave it as rude and aggressive.

Tonight I'm grateful for my own willingness to let go and allow finding a church where I can quietly pray alone some evening to be a less-immediate process. I called around to the churches in town, and they all close early. God said, "Tell you what-- rain check". No problem-- as long as we can sit and talk about old times sometime soon.

Tonight I'm grateful for Jesus' words (as God) in the Gospel of Thomas, which is a Gnostic writing: "Lift a rock and you will find me. Split a piece of wood and I am there".

Tonight I'm grateful for Kurt Vonnegut; and tonight especially for this quote: "Another flaw in the human character is that everyone wants to build and nobody wants to do maintanence".

Tonight I'm grateful for my Higher Power, even if we've got kind of an akward relationship at the moment; for my friends here at SR who keep me on the wagon; for my outside friends, for my family, and for the decision I've made to stand up and make sobriety my lifestyle.

With love in my heart, and the very best wishes to everyone here,

B'sT
Old 02-26-2008, 03:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

grateful to be able to give only love...

as it cant be taught!
Old 02-26-2008, 07:00 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Glad your posting here again!