Notices

Grateful for Recovery............

Old 01-01-2007, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful for Recovery............

I am Really grateful for being here in RECOVERY........Celebrating 21 years in AA and VERY HAPPY to be here ..........

I came a long way to get to this point and with the help of friends that stuck by me. I have set my foot in the right direction.......................

In 1986 I was at the end of my rope and reached out to several people for help to get in the right place for me........

I was in Religious life at the time when I was drinking and not able to get the help needed..........I put in many years as a Religious nun and the rules are that we Don't Reach out for help except in community with the other religious...........No one from the outside can help us..................I didn't agree and asked a Priest to help convince the nuns to let me talk to someone.......................it didn't work that good and I went out on my own to talk to someone that I knew could help me some how............

I was young and already 10 years in religious life........I wanted some peace in my life as a religious and to make a difference for others with the same problem..........knowing I could only help myself I tried to do all I could.......

The nuns would not give permission still and I kept drinking out of frustration...........I needed a release and found running , playing basketball and other things to fill in .......BUT NOT THE ANSWER...........

A friend in Religious life called me and said I needed HELP......I told him that it wasn't possible as my hands were tied.....................

I got depressed more and more each day.......Prayed asking God to help and the next day.........I came up with only one idea and that was to take a leave from religious life and get the help I really needed...................But I didn't tell the other nuns the total reason behind my leave.........I needed help and had to do it on my own while still being allowed to stay in with the Nuns..................

After much thought I still needed AA recovery help and the leave wasn't enough....................The drinking went on more than usual...................

By 1985 I had totally left Religious life to seek the help I needed to get into AA recovery.........It wasn't what I really wanted for my life......But it was an answer for NOW...............................I got to meetings only because a family friend said he would not talk to me anymore unless I went to AA meetings.....90 in 90 days..........A BIG ORDER FOR ME TO KEEP THIS ONE SPECIAL FRIEND THAT HAS KNOWN ME A LONG TIME AND MY FAMILY.......................I didn't want to lose my friend and having the chance to talk to him......So January 1,1986 I started my Recovery........

I did the 90 meetings in 90 days and called this friend back and said I did what he asked and feel much better.........

It took a great deal out of me and I still remember that first meeting.......I felt rejected at first as someone said I didn't belong here........My story wasn't like others.........But it wasn't going to be like others ........I knew that and started to leave the meeting..........A lady stopped me and said the guy was wrong to have said that to me.......NO one has the right to say someone doesn't fit in AA.........

Ok , I was in the right place and others welcomed me ......My life in recovery started out a little rough and acceptance was tough from the start..................Ok...I was odd since I was out of Religious life and searching out the right path for me in this Big Bad world that so many people take advantage of.......................

I kept coming back and it worked for me..........I still needed to find my place in the world and AA was giving me that start......................But I needed to feel better about my life and had to take it one day at a time..........stay in the now and do as many meetings as I could..............

Today I am at peace with my program and have lots of years to be grateful for............................I am a Recovered Alcoholic ....................I still have that Tall mountain to climb each day and it will always be there to remind me of that first day I walked in the doors to AA.........I got my first Big Book and still have that first book today............

I am a Woman of many talents today thank you to Recovery......I have never stopped loving God and know my life is special no matter what direction I am walking in my program............My job today is special and to carry the message to others in Recovery......

THANK YOU AA FOR BEING MY BEST FRIEND............. I love you.........................Little Penguin
Old 01-01-2007, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You know....no matter what your story is.......We are here for the same reason.....To make a difference and change the way we used to do things.....................to better our life and set an example for others still out there struggling..............

Don't judge me for what I said about how I got to AA and my recovery program......................I am a human being just like any of you and now I have a different life to lead than what I started out with after leaving High School.......But I can say I have moved on from that life and had to make better changes...............

I am out of being in Religious life.......and that is ok.....But you know I learned that the Nuns are Human too.........Then just have rules that tie them down from getting all the help they really need.......................They love God and thier way of life......................I was there and am still there in my own way............I never wanted to leave............

I did go back .....spent another 2-4 years doing what I thought was best for me.............But God wanted me out in the world to make a difference for others around me...............The nuns only wanted to see how I would react being back with them and to get answers to thier questions......so they could make changes they wanted to make.................Not to help me be that better person in religious life I set out to be......

Life is a mystery and we all have mountains to climb........Mine was to get off on the right foot and keep moving forward...................to seek out a place I could be me with my program..........and to let others know I came a long way in this life...........................I wanted to set a goal in life to help others understand who I was and what I did to make a difference in changing the alcoholic person I became.......and how sad my life was getting deep inside.............

NO MATTER what you do in your life ...........be good to yourself and don't beat yourself up....................You can make a difference for you and pass it on to others.................................Keep coming back................................Little Penguin
Old 01-01-2007, 07:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am grateful to just have my life as it is today.......21 years of recovery is one that just keeps me moving forward.........

I have a life that I trust in God's hands ........He keeps me in my program each moment of the day...........

I have come to know that I have the willingness to carry on in my life and have the hope, faith and desire to do better than what I have done before................

The Big Book has shown me that the steps I work each day of my life will keep me in my place at the moment.......one day at a time........................This is the light for my path to keep moving forward..............The light will never go out unless I fall off the path to recovery..................

Keep coming back and know that your path will stay lit for a long time as you keep your feet moving forward into the distance.............You can do it just as I have.......One day at a time......................Just for today........Believe in yourself and what you really want for your future........

Little Penguin
Old 01-05-2007, 12:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for your inspiration. My friend went to treatment last Spring for 3 months, but then relapsed to drugs. He has just completed 1 month of treatment and has started his second month. I have known him 3 years and it has been difficult because I come from a religious Catholic family and my mom has had cancer for 3 years so I can't talk openly about the problem. He told me tonight he feels strong and feels in his soul addictions are over and he is on the long road to recovery. Thank you.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wow! 21 years! Thats awesome. Congrats. And also welcome to SoberRecovery sarar67.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad to know there are still a few that read past notes posted........................I am still here one day at a time.................

And you all know something........this is the best place to find yourself..................I can have so much fun and get my work done at the same time.........

Thanks for the well wishes.........I am grateful for this program and for all the 21 years I have put into it.........

The program really works if you work it .....One day at a time.....One moment at a time..................

Little Penguin