Another sober day! - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > GLBTQ in Recovery
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2018, 05:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Another sober day!

Hey everyone! I'm on day 9 today and it's been really rough. I've had insomnia and I feel like I'm crawling out of my skin. Today was a little better because I kept myself busy. I'm a teacher, so I have the summer off which is a blessing and a curse. It gives me too much time to just sit around and think about drinking. It's tough. Anyhow, I'm giving AA another try, but it's hard for me to connect to the people there. SR has been a great source of support. How's your recovery going?
WGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WGlenn For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (07-03-2018), Helianthus (07-03-2018), Hevyn (07-03-2018), MindfulMan (07-03-2018), topspin (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Learning to live again

Hi WGlenn. 9 days is wonderful. I had those feelings you describe for a couple months. Everything got better as I grew stronger & really began to heal.

I have over 10 yrs. now. You will get there too. Glad you are here.

A little voice deep inside me said, "Hello, I am here." It was a small voice, & sounded as if it were buried underneath the cushions of my couch. It was my soul...I had forgotten it.

Hevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hevyn For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hi WGlenn

Congratulations on 9 days that's brilliant! Use this beautiful summer weather to get out and do some walking, let that sunshine sink in
Helianthus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Helianthus For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hang in there WGlenn .

My first month was brutal for getting any restful sleep ,... I blame it primarily on my old work schedule (getting home at 2:30 am and drinking till dawn ) Only working two nights like that now ,...so it's not even an issue ,...thank goodness !?

I read you have been hiking and biking ,...and using some light weights .

Doing my best to get some time out on the road lately , .finally able to ride back-to-back days ,...~ 90 minutes so far .

Do you have a background cycling ?

Ever do group rides ?
Dee74 (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
No Dogma Please

It sounds like you are doing very well WG. 9 days is still SUPER early in recovery. Having a lot of anxiety at this phase is, unfortunately, quite normal and expected. Your neurotransmitters have become used to alcohol sedation and without it they are keyed up. It will equilibrate over time. At 9 days I was still a complete mess, and in the midst of medical detox...I was one sick puppy. It's been a bit over a year.

After detox and inpatient I did 8 weeks of outpatient rehab, which was CBT based. You are very fortunate to have a therapist who uses CBT methods and is familiar with addiction treatment. My outpatient therapist found me a therapist that had all six attributes I wanted: male, gay, in recovery, experience with treating addiction, psychodynamic approach, takes my insurance. A miracle!

Keep thinking of what to add to your recovery plan as you are able. There are plenty of ideas on this board. Diet and exercise were huge to me. I lost 50 pounds and gained a bunch of muscle, and just got back from a 6 mile hike (with mountains 'n stuff).

Enjoy your summer. Do all the things you never have time for when working. You will be so ready to go back to teaching in the fall, all sober!
MindfulMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Hevyn- Congratulations on having 10 years sobriety. You're an inspiration to me. I have to say, I'm not looking forward to having these feelings for a couple of months, but it's better than the loneliness and anxiety I get with drinking.

Helianthus - Yes, I'm trying to get myself outdoors to enjoy the summer sun. I even bought a new pair of expensive hiking shoes. I can't wait to get out on the trails again.

Topspin- I'm not looking forward to the insomnia that comes with early sobriety, but I'm determined to fight through it. I have the summer off, so I can afford to be tired while my body acclimated to being alcohol free. I've been doing a little exercise (hiking and biking), but I don't have a background in cycling. I've never done a group ride, but it sounds fun.

MindfulMan - It's good to hear that what I'm feeling is normal. Sometimes I have to remind myself that I am sick. I was a real heavy daily drinker, and I'd been at it for years. Congratulations on having over a year. It sounds like you have really good recovery. As for me, I'm trying to connect to people at the AA meetings. I'm also taking better care of myself and seeing my new therapist, but right now it's definitely one day at a time. At day 10, I still feel too anxious to actually enjoy my time off, but each day seems a little bit better.

Happy 4th of July to everyone! Wish me luck on day 10.
WGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WGlenn For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (07-06-2018), MindfulMan (07-06-2018), topspin (07-04-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
No Dogma Please

How's it going WG? Did you get through the 4th OK?

Definitely one day at a time, especially at this point. The fog and the anxiety will eventually dissipate. How long is impossible to tell, but in my case I started to feel human again at about 2 - 2.5 weeks in, and it gradually gets better and better the longer you abstain. Don't worry about doing anything at this point but taking care of yourself and staying sober. If you can try to go to meetings as much as you can. You don't have to do anything but show up, share if you want, talk to people if and when you want. Just a good place to be around people that understand what you are going through and will be supportive. Any exercise or other activities will be there when you're ready.

Please check back in.
MindfulMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MindfulMan For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Learning to live again

We're thinking of you, WGlenn.

A little voice deep inside me said, "Hello, I am here." It was a small voice, & sounded as if it were buried underneath the cushions of my couch. It was my soul...I had forgotten it.

Hevyn is offline   Reply With Quote