Parents enabling by paying addict's apartment rent.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Parents enabling by paying addict's apartment rent.

Rant/vent and another example of why enabling is bad.

Have a problem neighbor/tenant who smokes pot and plays video games all day. A good week of work if that's where they are going might be 20 hours a week. They frequently are off weeks at a time all year long. Found out from a reliable source their parents had to pick up rent payments before they started/changed their 'activities'

For several years they were 'just' a pothead hanging out in apartment all day. But over the last year their behavior went from someone who might be found od'd or dead in the apartment to wild all day video game addict. When not working 20-24 hours of game noise/gaming coming from apartment. Noise is constant, no quiet time. Police called at least once. Apartment knows.

I've had experiences with alcoholics and addicts but video game addicts are new to me. It's literally 24/7 minus the occasional bathroom break. They don't sleep. You have to live their day. No matter when I go out/come back chances they're playing.. Besides noise it's schizophrenic type days because they keep on starting a new cycle when they lose whilch slowly increases in intensity and noise. It's up and down all day all night.

The parents have to know their adult child has addiction issues. When they come to visit it frequently takes hours for the addict to answer the door. I've heard the mom knock 15 minutes go sit in the car come back and knock some more. I thought pot mellowed people out not keep them awake 24/7. They've got to be doing something else besides pot which also has increased with daily smells not just occasional.

Long story short rather than enable why not pay for the kids medical insurance so they can go to rehab. Paying for an apartment is accomplishing nothing and enabling bad behavior. If they don't even have to worry paying rent what's their incentive to sober up. They're doing nothing to help their addict kid/adult child become independent. They'll be dependent on chemicals and someone else paying for their life forever.