My Ketamine addict boyfriend of 3 years has left me.

Old 02-23-2022, 02:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb My Ketamine addict boyfriend of 3 years has left me.

Hello, i'm new here, sorry if this is a really long entry. My boyfriend of 3 years who I thought I had a great intimate relationship has decided to leave me. He has had a problem with ketamine for around 10 years and the 3 years we have been together it has been near enough everyday. In the beginning we would go out and do things together (although a lot of it was raving and partying and still was up to the current day however it would be the two of us alone rather than in a group as it was in more present times). I don't use ketamine and never really have however I do use cocaine at the weekends with some weekends off and even then it's only around half a gram and no more. I am not dependent on drugs nor do I feel the need to do it on weekdays whereas he has always done ketamine day in day out, at work and in the evenings.

Gradually overtime our relationship grew and our love for one another became more and more pure. However I found myself going to his friends house most days and every weekend just to sit around with him and them while they did drugs. In 3 years we never went away, he never took me on dates, he never got me gifts or treated me to anything but I put up with it because I loved him and his friends.

I wasn't ever too hard on him about the ketamine as when I was he would get very deflective and get in a mood. I reached out to counsellors for my own sake to ask how I approach the situation and they advised to just try get him some help and don't get angry with him. So I continued. He got some counselling and did it albeit for about 2 sessions and then gave up. He started his own carpentry company with his friend and this brought on a lot of stress. He was also in copious amounts of debt.

Although our time together was merely coming home from work, having dinner, getting into bed and going to sleep. Although those times we did have a laugh, we were intimate and we did love each other.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago and he decided to tell me he was having second thoughts about us - out of nowhere. I was in shocked and stormed out the house because I couldn't believe this man I have given my heart and soul to (and a lot of money despite him having a lot higher paying job) has just said he's having second thoughts about ME! I know he's depressed and he's been having a really hard time accepting that soon he will need to stop taking drugs and that he will definitely need to buck up his ideas very soon as he's going on 30.

We came back I had some time away from him and had talks a couple days later where we both cried and spoke about ending things and he cried and said if he left me he was worried he would never get me back. We agreed to change things about each other (I needed more independence and go out and do more things on my own which is true - I also needed to stop getting so messy and embarrassing when I drink although everyone else thinks i'm a barrel of laughs) but he needed to spend more time just us and he needed to tell his mum and get off the ketamine and we would try it again.

The following week I made conscious efforts to see friends, not rely on him so much and just try and do my own thing. He went and saw the boys but continued to sniff ketamine everyday and also never got round to telling his mum. I basically gave him an inch and he's taken a mile. fast forward to last Wednesday and he went out to see some friends from school (including other girls) which I thought was odd that he didn't invite me as there were girls there and ones that im very close with and also he owed me hundreds of pounds and I was having to sit at home drinking 4 day old bottle of wine while he went out on a jolly. I was hurt and angry and asked him to get me a bottle of wine on the way home as my mother had broken her arm that day and I was a bit worried. He came home 2 hours after saying he would and so I was annoyed. Not only that but he calls me on his way home to say that actually he didnt have any money to get me a bottle of wine - despite him owing me money and being at the pub for 5 hours. He came home with his tail between his legs and I was annoyed. I tried to keep my cool until I got a message from his friend saying "don't blame *boyfriends name* he's missing out on a good night with old school friends to be with YOU - you should cherish it" Anyway I lost my S**t - I couldnt believe what I was reading?! As if ive never let him do what he wants. It was 10:30pm on a wednesday like how was I being made out to be the bad person.

Anyway I lost my **** I screamed at the top of my lungs how you're all drug addicts and how no one ever thinks of me blablabla... He was very shocked and consoled me and told me he would speak to his friend tomorrow. Tomorrow comes round and he texted from work asking how I was and I said I wasn't happy and maybe he would be better just on his own. I took the day to relax and try to remain calm and retracted my statement and said to him lets just get into bed later and chill out and worry about this stuff after the weekend (we had 2 30th birthdays to celebrate). So anyway that day I wrote a list of things we need to do to help ourselves and ways we can improve our lives and move forward together.

He got homeHe then broke down and said that what I said yesterday was right. He needed to end the relationship to help himself get over drugs and get out of debt and that he was going to move back in with his parents (leaving me in this massive house on my own - rented property with 3 months left). I was obviously distraught and couldnt bare the thought of losing him but he was adament. I made him tell his parents and they are now aware and will be keeping him on lock in the house and getting him help. His mum is really worried about me and does remain in contact most days.

I'm broken. I'm lost. He still says cryptic things like "in the future we might rekindle" or "once I get out of this we can see where we both are". But also he was very quick to delete our photos on instagram and the same day follow a girl that works at the carpentry company he uses for materials. I confronted him about that and he said that it was innocent and nothing was suspicious.

Anyway we spoke yesterday and he was being quite rude almost. But again very cryptic "sorry to say but this relationship is done....for now" or "i still have massive feelings for you but im done...for now" but also things like "I was so f**** all the time I dont even know if it was real". I'm starting to think our entire relationship was just one big dream for him and that he's decided to move on without my help. I think about all the things i've ever done for him and all the things ive ever done that pissed him off for him to want to carry on without me there. I am so broken and my entire life, where I live, my new friends are just going to be done and now I'm the one who is having to start a new life. I don't feel like he ever loved me and I am so hurt and don't know what to even do with myself.

The thing I cant understand is how it went from pure love only a couple of weeks ago to NOTHING. I know he's depressed and I know he's hurt but all I want is him back with me. Has anyone got any insight into how he's feeling right now. There are probably so many things i've missed out but I want some kind of responses and didn't want anything to lengthy. I would appreciate anyones personal experience with these situations and what happened with you next.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello

Sorry for the situation that brings you here, I will keep my response short as you requested in your post.

I read your post and hear what you say. Reality is the only thing you have any control over is yourself. What he may be feeling or what he may do next is up to him, you have no control over that.

So you need to decide what you are doing to do to recover and get back on your feet.

I say all of the above with kindness, and I do realise this was not the type of answer you are looking for really. This is reality though.
Old 02-23-2022, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rebekah,
I'm sorry that your heart is hurting. Sadly, when a relationship ends, there us usually one person left broken hearted if the decision to split, is not mutual.
This guy is nearly 30, and quite frankly, acting like a teenager. Is this truly what you want for a partner?
He said:
"I was so f**** all the time I dont even know if it was real"
Really, you believe this is what you deserve/need in your life? He didn't take you out, didn't treat you at all - it was all about him wanting to get high, and you having to watch him and his friends do that.
As peaceful said, the here and now, is all you can control, but it would seem he doesn't want to live in the real world. He will stop, only when and if he wants to. You say he's had a ketamine habit for 10 years, and from what you have shared, it doesn't seem that he is intending to stop.
It may be best to let him be, and start concentrating on yourself. Time will give you clarity Rebekah.
Much Love
Bute x
Old 02-24-2022, 03:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PeacefulWater12 View Post
Hello

Sorry for the situation that brings you here, I will keep my response short as you requested in your post.

I read your post and hear what you say. Reality is the only thing you have any control over is yourself. What he may be feeling or what he may do next is up to him, you have no control over that.

So you need to decide what you are doing to do to recover and get back on your feet.

I say all of the above with kindness, and I do realise this was not the type of answer you are looking for really. This is reality though.
Thanks for your response! Sorry I didn't mean I didn't want the replies too lengthy I didn't want to make my post too lengthy and bore people too much that they wouldn't read it and reply - mine was still pretty lengthy! I appreciate your response.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bute View Post
Hi Rebekah,
I'm sorry that your heart is hurting. Sadly, when a relationship ends, there us usually one person left broken hearted if the decision to split, is not mutual.
This guy is nearly 30, and quite frankly, acting like a teenager. Is this truly what you want for a partner?
He said:
"I was so f**** all the time I dont even know if it was real"
Really, you believe this is what you deserve/need in your life? He didn't take you out, didn't treat you at all - it was all about him wanting to get high, and you having to watch him and his friends do that.
As peaceful said, the here and now, is all you can control, but it would seem he doesn't want to live in the real world. He will stop, only when and if he wants to. You say he's had a ketamine habit for 10 years, and from what you have shared, it doesn't seem that he is intending to stop.
It may be best to let him be, and start concentrating on yourself. Time will give you clarity Rebekah.
Much Love
Bute x
Thanks Bute. I really appreciate your response and it's the same as what everyone, including his own mother has said to me. It's just hard at the moment I feel like I'm boring all my friends and sound like a broken record it's nice to come on here and get others opinions. It's hard because I love him so much and the thought of him being with someone else in the future is painful. I know it seems ridiculous considering the lack of fundamentals in the relationship but we had such a chemistry (or so I thought) and we always spoke of being each others soul mates. It really is depressing but it is true, I now need to carry on and get on with it. My issue now is where I move to and live. I don't want to go back to my home town as I really dislike it there and don't want to pop myself near a close friend as a lot of my friends don't really know where they're going next and they all have their own relationships and plans for the future. It really is a scary time but it's time I do some growing up myself! Thanks again, Rebekah.
Old 09-04-2022, 03:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Rebekahgold View Post
Hello, i'm new here, sorry if this is a really long entry. My boyfriend of 3 years who I thought I had a great intimate relationship has decided to leave me. He has had a problem with ketamine for around 10 years and the 3 years we have been together it has been near enough everyday. In the beginning we would go out and do things together (although a lot of it was raving and partying and still was up to the current day however it would be the two of us alone rather than in a group as it was in more present times). I don't use ketamine and never really have however I do use cocaine at the weekends with some weekends off and even then it's only around half a gram and no more. I am not dependent on drugs nor do I feel the need to do it on weekdays whereas he has always done ketamine day in day out, at work and in the evenings.

Gradually overtime our relationship grew and our love for one another became more and more pure. However I found myself going to his friends house most days and every weekend just to sit around with him and them while they did drugs. In 3 years we never went away, he never took me on dates, he never got me gifts or treated me to anything but I put up with it because I loved him and his friends.

I wasn't ever too hard on him about the ketamine as when I was he would get very deflective and get in a mood. I reached out to counsellors for my own sake to ask how I approach the situation and they advised to just try get him some help and don't get angry with him. So I continued. He got some counselling and did it albeit for about 2 sessions and then gave up. He started his own carpentry company with his friend and this brought on a lot of stress. He was also in copious amounts of debt.

Although our time together was merely coming home from work, having dinner, getting into bed and going to sleep. Although those times we did have a laugh, we were intimate and we did love each other.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago and he decided to tell me he was having second thoughts about us - out of nowhere. I was in shocked and stormed out the house because I couldn't believe this man I have given my heart and soul to (and a lot of money despite him having a lot higher paying job) has just said he's having second thoughts about ME! I know he's depressed and he's been having a really hard time accepting that soon he will need to stop taking drugs and that he will definitely need to buck up his ideas very soon as he's going on 30.

We came back I had some time away from him and had talks a couple days later where we both cried and spoke about ending things and he cried and said if he left me he was worried he would never get me back. We agreed to change things about each other (I needed more independence and go out and do more things on my own which is true - I also needed to stop getting so messy and embarrassing when I drink although everyone else thinks i'm a barrel of laughs) but he needed to spend more time just us and he needed to tell his mum and get off the ketamine and we would try it again.

The following week I made conscious efforts to see friends, not rely on him so much and just try and do my own thing. He went and saw the boys but continued to sniff ketamine everyday and also never got round to telling his mum. I basically gave him an inch and he's taken a mile. fast forward to last Wednesday and he went out to see some friends from school (including other girls) which I thought was odd that he didn't invite me as there were girls there and ones that im very close with and also he owed me hundreds of pounds and I was having to sit at home drinking 4 day old bottle of wine while he went out on a jolly. I was hurt and angry and asked him to get me a bottle of wine on the way home as my mother had broken her arm that day and I was a bit worried. He came home 2 hours after saying he would and so I was annoyed. Not only that but he calls me on his way home to say that actually he didnt have any money to get me a bottle of wine - despite him owing me money and being at the pub for 5 hours. He came home with his tail between his legs and I was annoyed. I tried to keep my cool until I got a message from his friend saying "don't blame *boyfriends name* he's missing out on a good night with old school friends to be with YOU - you should cherish it" Anyway I lost my S**t - I couldnt believe what I was reading?! As if ive never let him do what he wants. It was 10:30pm on a wednesday like how was I being made out to be the bad person.

Anyway I lost my **** I screamed at the top of my lungs how you're all drug addicts and how no one ever thinks of me blablabla... He was very shocked and consoled me and told me he would speak to his friend tomorrow. Tomorrow comes round and he texted from work asking how I was and I said I wasn't happy and maybe he would be better just on his own. I took the day to relax and try to remain calm and retracted my statement and said to him lets just get into bed later and chill out and worry about this stuff after the weekend (we had 2 30th birthdays to celebrate). So anyway that day I wrote a list of things we need to do to help ourselves and ways we can improve our lives and move forward together.

He got homeHe then broke down and said that what I said yesterday was right. He needed to end the relationship to help himself get over drugs and get out of debt and that he was going to move back in with his parents (leaving me in this massive house on my own - rented property with 3 months left). I was obviously distraught and couldnt bare the thought of losing him but he was adament. I made him tell his parents and they are now aware and will be keeping him on lock in the house and getting him help. His mum is really worried about me and does remain in contact most days.

I'm broken. I'm lost. He still says cryptic things like "in the future we might rekindle" or "once I get out of this we can see where we both are". But also he was very quick to delete our photos on instagram and the same day follow a girl that works at the carpentry company he uses for materials. I confronted him about that and he said that it was innocent and nothing was suspicious.

Anyway we spoke yesterday and he was being quite rude almost. But again very cryptic "sorry to say but this relationship is done....for now" or "i still have massive feelings for you but im done...for now" but also things like "I was so f**** all the time I dont even know if it was real". I'm starting to think our entire relationship was just one big dream for him and that he's decided to move on without my help. I think about all the things i've ever done for him and all the things ive ever done that pissed him off for him to want to carry on without me there. I am so broken and my entire life, where I live, my new friends are just going to be done and now I'm the one who is having to start a new life. I don't feel like he ever loved me and I am so hurt and don't know what to even do with myself.

The thing I cant understand is how it went from pure love only a couple of weeks ago to NOTHING. I know he's depressed and I know he's hurt but all I want is him back with me. Has anyone got any insight into how he's feeling right now. There are probably so many things i've missed out but I want some kind of responses and didn't want anything to lengthy. I would appreciate anyones personal experience with these situations and what happened with you next.

Hi Rebekah,

I've seen you posted this earlier this year and wondered how you're getting on?

I'm going through a similar situation, although I stay clear of any events that involve him sniffing ket.

We've reached the point where he's moving back home to his mums, but unfortunately for us she lives in Australia and I've just bought a house in the UK. I'm really struggling with this and not knowing what the future holds
Old 09-04-2022, 05:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hello Lozzabrown, and Welcome!

I'm afraid that Rebekah hasn't been online here since February. I hope you'll start a new thread of your own so that people can give your posts the attention they deserve.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation and hope you will continue to read around the forums to learn more. Unfortunately, where addiction is concerned, there are no guarantees. We all wish we had some magic words or actions we could take to make them stop--but there are none.

What I will say is Congratulations on your new house! That is quite an accomplishment! Perhaps spend some of that energy worrying and grieving his move with decorating and setting up your house just as you would like.