In-Between

Old 05-04-2021, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Lightbulb In-Between

I posted this for someone today, on another thread but thought it might be helpful to bring it here. It's an oldie but goodie from Melody Beattie's Language of Letting Go.

In-Between

Sometimes, to get from where we are to where we are going, we have to be willing to be in-between.

One of the hardest parts of recovery is the concept of letting go of what is old and familiar, and what we don’t want, and being willing to stand with our hands empty while we wait for God to fill them.

This may apply to feelings. We may have been full of hurt and anger. In some ways, these feelings may have become comfortably familiar. When we finally face and relinquish our grief, we may feel empty for a time. We are in between pain and the joy of serenity and acceptance.

Being in-between can apply to relationships. To prepare ourselves for the new, we need to first let go of the old. This can be frightening. We may feel empty and lost for a time. We may feel all alone, wondering what is wrong with us for letting go of the proverbial bird-in-hand, when there is nothing in the bush.

Being in-between can apply to many areas of life and recovery. We can be in between jobs, careers, homes, or goals. We can be in between behaviors as we let go of the old and are not certain what we will replace it with. This can apply to behaviors that have protected and served us well all of our life, such as caretaking and controlling.

We may have many feelings going on when we’re in-between: spurts of grief about what we have let go of or lost, and feelings of anxiety, fear, and apprehension about what’s ahead. These are normal feelings for the in-between place. Accept them. Feel them. Release them.

Being in-between isn’t fun, but it’s necessary. It will not last forever. It may feel like we’re standing still, but we’re not.
We’re standing at the in-between place. It’s how we get from here to there. It is not the destination.

We are moving forward, even when we’re in-between.

Today, I will accept where I am as the ideal place for me to be. If I am in-between, I will strive for the faith that this place is not without purpose, that it is moving me toward something good.

From the book: The Language of Letting Go: Hazelden Meditation Series
Old 05-04-2021, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

We are moving forward, even when we’re in-between.

Today, I will accept where I am as the ideal place for me to be. If I am in-between, I will strive for the faith that this place is not without purpose, that it is moving me toward something good.

In between is a good place, a resting and healing place until we can make a clear healthy decision of where we want to go from here. Any choice is usually better than the choice to go back.

Hugs
Old 05-07-2021, 11:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you, great post, so unbelievably true! Wise words and puts things into perspective. For a time, being in-between is what's needed...that can't be changed, nor should it, rather accepted and appreciated. Its about regaining your strength, and control of your life again.