If Someone Loves You, It Should FEEL Like They Love You..

Old 10-05-2020, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Lightbulb If Someone Loves You, It Should FEEL Like They Love You..

A little wisdom from Robert Burney...it is well worth the read.

If someone loves you, it should feel like they love you.

Robert Burney

What a concept! Obvious, logical, rational, elementary – like ‘duh’ of course it should.

I had never experienced feeling loved consistently in my closest relationships. Because my parents did not know how to Love themselves, their behavior towards me had caused me to experience love as critical, shaming, manipulative, controlling, and abusive. Because that was my experience of love as a child – that was the only type of relationship I was comfortable with as an adult. It was also, and most importantly, the relationship that I had with myself.

In order to start changing my relationship with myself, so that I could start changing the type of relationships I had with other people, I had to start focusing on trying to learn the True nature of Love.

This, I believe, is the Great Quest that we are on. Anyone in recovery, on a healing/Spiritual path, is ultimately trying to find their way home to LOVE – in my belief. LOVE is the Higher Power – the True nature of the God-Force/Goddess Energy/Great Spirit. LOVE is the fabric from which we are woven. LOVE is the answer.

And in order to start finding my way home to LOVE – I first had to start awakening to what Love is not. . . . . .

. . . . Love is also not an addiction. It is not taking a hostage or being taken hostage. The type of romantic love that I learned about growing is a form of toxic love. The “I can’t smile without out you,” “Can’t live without you.” “You are my everything,” “You are not whole until you find your prince/princess” messages that I learned in relationship to romantic love in childhood are not descriptions of Love – they are descriptions of drug of choice, of someone who is a higher power/false god.

Additionally, Love is not being a doormat. Love does not entail sacrificing your self on the altar of martyrdom – because one cannot consciously choose to sacrifice self if they have never Truly had a self that they felt was Lovable and worthy. If we do not know how to Love our self, how to show respect and honor for our self – then we have no self to sacrifice. We are then sacrificing in order to try to prove to ourselves that we are lovable and worthy – that is not giving from the heart, that is codependently manipulative, controlling, and dishonest.”

Old 10-08-2020, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

'If someone loves you, it should feel like they love you'

Hm.

I don't think I agree with that. I sure didn't feel any love from my mother when she was off her throne drunk. That doesn't mean she didn't love me. She was just too sick to show it.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree with it, regarding romantic relationships, which is what I believe the post is referring to.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so sorry that was your experience LumenandNyx.

Suki is right, this is about romantic relationships but often difficulty with that stems from upsetting relationships with a parent growing up.

I was lucky, my mother was a gem and did it all on her own after my father died when I was 6.