Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

My brother looked high yesterday and claims his sponsor told him to snort ibuprofen.

My brother looked high yesterday and claims his sponsor told him to snort ibuprofen.

Old 07-03-2020, 07:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My brother had white powder on his nose today and was acting drugged out. Eyes droopy and tired looking, not talking right. We called him out and he claims his sponsor told him to snort ibuprofen as a simulation of getting high because he was having cravings. This sounds like bull to me because why would you want to simulate that act? Also, he gave me his sponsors phone number, but I didn't contact them because who knows who that person actually is?
Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome
It sounds like bull to me too Llchem.

D
Old 07-04-2020, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree with Dee. They think they are fooling everyone but are only fooling themselves, it's just sad.

I hope he finds a better path soon. You don't have to pretend to believe him or not, you know what you know and the rest is just about taking good care of yourself.

Prayers out for your brother and all who love him. May he wake up soon and make better choices.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

It sounds like you know when you are being lied to. You are not in control of your brothers choices. It sounds like he is trying to put you in charge of his recovery by giving you his sponsors phone number . This is a tactic used by people who don't want to take responsibility for their actions. If they put you in charge then they can also put the blame on you if they fail. This goes for any life actions.
Ultimately he has to want to change, There is really nothing we can do to make them want to be sober with the exception of getting out of their way and allow them to make their own choices..
I have a brother who spent many years going in and out of prison and my mother ways always right there managing his stay in prison. He did not get sober until my mother died which I think kinda speaks for itself.