Real life experience with cocaine addiction

Old 05-04-2020, 05:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Real life experience with cocaine addiction

Hi there. I’ve been reading what I can on cocaine addiction. I’d like to hear some real life experience on it. What I’ve read is that there are physical symptoms and side effects like circulation issues, nasal issues and what not but mostly it’s a psychological addiction and not quite as physical of an addiction as say heroin. The actual high only lasts 20 minutes or so until they do more. Is that accurate? Â What signs and symptoms do you see with your loved ones? I’ve seen pure rage to the point where I’m frightened. Is that when they are high or coming off of it? Â Or both maybe? Â There has been such a drastic shift in someone I’ve known for 22 years it’s hard to believe it’s the same person. What about paranoia? Â And somewhat delusions? Â Like you know you’ve never said something and they swear you do. How do you cope in certain situations dealing with certain side effects. Anything you can share is appreciated. Thank you.Â
Old 05-04-2020, 09:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
luring sobriety this way with my lucky charm

One of my close relatives is a drug addict. She started on cocaine and later went to heroin. I want to mention this because although cocaine is "only" psychologically addictive, it may not be the only drug the person does. I dated someone who would deal with coming down from coke binges by drinking tequila. He didn't use coke every day or even every week, but then he'd decide he deserved to party. Who knows what drinking tequila to come down off of coke turned into for him. So I want to put that out there, that cocaine can be a companion substance or gateway substance to other, more physically addictive substances.

The person I dated experienced paranoia. When he came down he got scared, had anxiety, which is why he drank. One time he called me over to just comfort him while he was coming down, because he was so afraid he might die. He lived in one of those obnoxious beach high rises with a door man, because he felt "safer" there.

My relative, with her I saw any number of terrible behaviors, I wouldn't even know where to begin. You name it. Using her children's food stamps for herself while the grandmother took care of said children, keeping a cuckolded partner who enabled her addiction financially while she cheated on him with other people, it got to a point where I could not believe I was related to this person. I was younger then, of course, so I would be less shocked now - and less self-righteous since I have a drinking problem. Still, it was real bad.
Old 05-08-2020, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Had family who supposedly dabbled in cocaine in his party life career. Besides always being in a state of irritation by their late 40s they have blood pressure, heart and stroke issues yet no family history of cardio issues that young. Also they did other stimulants and drugs including caffeinated sports drinks and sodas. Prolonged periods of use is where the damage done.
Be careful with anyone on stimulants because their irritability and mood swings could make them dangerous/violent.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by krp2222 View Post
Hi there. I’ve been reading what I can on cocaine addiction. I’d like to hear some real life experience on it. What I’ve read is that there are physical symptoms and side effects like circulation issues, nasal issues and what not but mostly it’s a psychological addiction and not quite as physical of an addiction as say heroin. The actual high only lasts 20 minutes or so until they do more. Is that accurate? Â What signs and symptoms do you see with your loved ones? I’ve seen pure rage to the point where I’m frightened. Is that when they are high or coming off of it? Â Or both maybe? Â There has been such a drastic shift in someone I’ve known for 22 years it’s hard to believe it’s the same person. What about paranoia? Â And somewhat delusions? Â Like you know you’ve never said something and they swear you do. How do you cope in certain situations dealing with certain side effects. Anything you can share is appreciated. Thank you.Â
Hello,

When my Ex husband was abusing drugs, I originally thought he had a brain tumour. I had no experience of addiction, sure people using recreationally, but not of proper addiction. His personality changed so much I thought he must be very ill, hence the brain tumour. I was pleading with him to see a doctor but of course he refused. His temper became unbearable and he would rage and get violent. It was sickening. It was only when chunks of money started being withdrawn from the bank that it became obvious what he was doing. The absolute biggest indicator to me is money, and lies about money. 'Oh I lost my wallet/bank card' etc.
A friend of mine started a relationship a year or so ago with someone, within about two months I knew he was an addict due to stuff she was telling me about money being lost or uncounted for or blags to get more money (something wrong with car etc) The sit hit the fan for them a week or so ago when he sold all her stuff. So yeah Personality change coupled with the money issue a dead give away.

For Cocaine I think the signs of someone on it vary loads, are they mixing it or taking it on its own? Usually though they would be content but excitable at the same time with more energy. Wide glossy eyes, and yes it wont last too long then they start looking shifty because they want more...

Manipulation, crazy. Just look out for it. You have to be on the ball. Basically, the main piece of advice I can give is- Do not believe a single word they say. Not 1.

I feel for you. IC x
Old 06-23-2020, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I dated someone with a cocaine addiction for about six months. It got really gnarly at the end, but here are a few things I noticed.
- He liked me to be in the bathroom with him when we showered. Paranoid
-The day after a bender he would sleep all day and when he woke up; he was irritable, manic, confused and inconsiderate.
- Insomnia at night.
- ADD and the inability to focus or sit still.
- Runny and dripping nose that he was always rubbing.
- Dilated pupils.
- Night sweats.
- Loss of appetite.
- Talk your ear (high) off or ghosting (hungover). No in between
- Unbelievably kind or unbelievably rude.

Good luck! It's such a weird thing to witness