Recovering meth addict broke up with me

Old 01-14-2020, 07:13 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Well done, aaah, I can see your resilience coming into play and I'm sure you're progressing all the time, even though sometimes it seems so slow.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:55 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
Well done, aaah, I can see your resilience coming into play and I'm sure you're progressing all the time, even though sometimes it seems so slow.
Thanks so much, FeelingGreat !

He emailed me on Saturday saying that he was in so much pain and feeling horrible for everything he has done, especially to me. He said he cannot forgive himself for how much he has hurt me and that I was his rock making sure he didn't drown. It was nice that he recognized that. I downloaded the email to store away and then deleted the email itself so I cannot reply.

It's really tough and is painful, but I am staying as strong as possible. For the first time in my life, I am really setting some boundaries.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:17 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by aabh View Post
Thanks so much, FeelingGreat !

He emailed me on Saturday saying that he was in so much pain and feeling horrible for everything he has done, especially to me. He said he cannot forgive himself for how much he has hurt me and that I was his rock making sure he didn't drown. It was nice that he recognized that. I downloaded the email to store away and then deleted the email itself so I cannot reply.

It's really tough and is painful, but I am staying as strong as possible. For the first time in my life, I am really setting some boundaries.
Your hard work will pay off in the end. In a few months you'll probably realise with surprise that you're feeling OK.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:48 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Thanks so much, FeelingGreat ! Yes, I am looking forward to the healing I am about to experience.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:20 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Just a bit of an update. I am feeling so good about life and all that is being offered unto me. It makes me a bit afraid as after the year I had last year, this is the polar opposite. I am networking for my business which is incredible, my mood is generally more stable and happy, and I am making new friends. Furthermore, I did meet an incredible man that is all I could ever want in a partner and, yet, I am afraid of being hurt again. Trying to talk through it all with my therapist and I am hoping I can get there.

My ex did send me a message, and even though I did not say I was dating, he said that he was so grateful at how fast I recovered and that he was not jealous about the fact that I recovered. He said that he cannot date as he is still a work in progress, but also that he needs to heal from giving me his heart ... Tell me, that sounds a bit salty, right ? He was the one that ended it all so that whole message seemed bizarre and strange as we'd be probably be together if he had not broken up.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:17 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Honestly I would let it go, salty or not. People will always have their own versions of "what happened" and no one needs to agree with yours for it to be valid.
Old 03-09-2020, 12:26 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
but also that he needs to heal from giving me his heart ... Tell me, that sounds a bit salty, right ?
That's one word for it. I can think of another...two syllables, 8 letters, starts with B...
Old 03-09-2020, 02:49 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

SparkleKitty, it doesn't bother me so much as much as it is a very bizarre statement. He clearly didn't expect things to go this way I guess. Oh well.

Zoso77, haha. It feels all manipulative of him, too, so I guess he warrants that name caling.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:42 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

are you still in contact with your ex then? any good reason for that?

i'd be super careful about jumping into anything so soon after ending things with someone else. especially if you already think he is everything you could ever want in a partner. you can't possibly KNOW this, there isn't enough time or data to make such a proclamation.
Old 03-09-2020, 05:17 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Good advice, thank you !
My ex and I are not really in contact with each other at the moment, no.