An Update

Old 11-10-2019, 10:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An Update

Well, I haven't been on here for a long time and am back with an update. Yes, I managed to finally let go of my abusive, stealing, ex boyfriend addict. I am still financially paying off a ton of debt in loans that I took out for him. One son turned 18 and so I no longer get child support for him and he lives only with me (refuses to stay with my ex husband.) I also stopped getting alimony since I only received it for 3 years so I am struggling financially.

I am also dealing with other issues. First of all, my son is addicted to marijuana. Secondly, I am addicted to unhealthy relationships. And also I am a hoarder. I have trouble letting go of people and things.

I have been going to therapy regularly and have been taking much better care of my health. I have lost 50 lbs, am eating well, and exercising regularly. I am not as far behind in paperwork at work and am just completing a graduate class to work toward a salary increase. Now I have 10 credits to go to get an increase.

Though I am taking better care of myself my illness is progressive and incurable but not bad enough for me to get disability. It takes all my energy to take care of my kids, work , and take classes. I have to clean out my storage unit that I can't afford. But there aren't enough hours in the day.

I am grateful to have found this group and hope and pray that you are all doing well!
Old 11-11-2019, 09:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello! It really is a day at a time, and I hope you look back and see all that you have accomplished. Excellent!

Make very small lists, and accomplish one small thing at a time. Son can help you clean out the storage unit. Just set a day and do it. You've got this!
Old 11-11-2019, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Don't look now but you are amazing and doing wonderful things for yourself. Better to be exhausted doing good things, than exhausted trying to change what is not yours to change. Trust me, I am the Queen of Futile!

Keep coming back, your recovery is inspiring and I love the path you have chosen.

Hugs
Old 11-11-2019, 03:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

OT4kids...….I have often wondered about you and how you are doing....(I used to live in the same area that you do)……
I am so thrilled to read your update....and, to hear about your progress!
ALL progress is a victory and should be celebrated.....
It is wonderful that you are attending therapy.....I do believe that building relationships with healthy people who care and understand is much of the battle for anyone who is going through a hard time...…

Please let us know how you are doing as you go along....and, remember that you can, also offer inspiration, and compassion to others, here on the forum.
Your experience is valuable....
Old 11-11-2019, 05:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

OT4Kids, my, how time flies! I am right there with you, in many respects. Last month I went to a Redbox to rent a DVD for under $2, thinking I had over $400 in my account. Transaction denied- huh? Checked my bank account- wiped clean! I thought maybe my ex had gotten stolen my identity again, but it turned out it was just one of the many creditors I owe money to (well, not really *I*, as it was all identity theft, but what do they, or the police, for that matter, care?) So I learned an interesting lesson- that creditors can garnish your bank account, and tell you afterward. I knew I was going to have to file bankruptcy, but it looks like I'm being forced to get a jumpstart on it!

Still, I wouldn't trade where I am now for the world. My kids are finally safe (and I am, too- gosh, I so often forget to give thanks for my own safety!)

I know things will get better for me, and I know they'll get better for you! Stay strong! You're doing amazing things!!!