Not sure how to process things

Old 05-31-2019, 11:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sure how to process things

Morning everyone. My husband has a cocaine addiction for around 15years. He’s ‘tried’ to stop before but wasn’t ready. Everything got too much in January and he finally admitted he was ready to stop, rehab wasn’t an option so he started meetings with a private counsellor - she recommended NA meetings but he wasn’t ready for those. He managed 13weeks, thought he could control it and used twice. He was the best husband/father in those 12 weeks, I saw something in him and it was amazing. In the last 5months he’s done gear 4 times, latest being last week. After he’s always remorseful, hates himself for getting so far then caving. He is genuinely disappointed in himself. My question is does I don’t know how to process it, I do think he’s trying but not sure if this is ‘normal’. It seems to be every 3/4 weeks he’s slipping up - he used to be doing it daily for years. Is this recovery?
Old 06-01-2019, 06:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My addicted wanted me to believe she was in recovery because she was going daily to a methadone clinic for years.

She was court forced to go to the clinic years ago after she got out of jail. She had lost custody of her daughter & had to play along with the system.

She hates the clinic. She despises the group meetings, nurses, doctors, and counselors. She lies to the clinic about the details of her life. They really don't know the reality of her life. She does other drugs daily on top of taking a high daily methadone dose. In spite of being in the clinic for years, she gets no take homes.

In general, her life is crazy & has all the never ending typical problems & drama of an addict chasing addiction. I could write a book.

Is she in recovery? I think not.

Ive previously read on SR, real recovery looks & feels like real recovery. Addiction looks & feels like addiction. FYI - I have no direct experience with real recovery.

Take the time to educate yourself concerning addiction. You will find answers to your question. Like me, at first, you may not like the answers you find.

Please take care. Im sorry for your situation
Old 06-01-2019, 06:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Using cocaine in any amount is not normal.

Are you ready to make a change for your life?
Old 06-01-2019, 08:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sammy03 View Post
Morning everyone. My husband has a cocaine addiction for around 15years. He’s ‘tried’ to stop before but wasn’t ready. Everything got too much in January and he finally admitted he was ready to stop, rehab wasn’t an option so he started meetings with a private counsellor - she recommended NA meetings but he wasn’t ready for those. He managed 13weeks, thought he could control it and used twice. He was the best husband/father in those 12 weeks, I saw something in him and it was amazing. In the last 5months he’s done gear 4 times, latest being last week. After he’s always remorseful, hates himself for getting so far then caving. He is genuinely disappointed in himself. My question is does I don’t know how to process it, I do think he’s trying but not sure if this is ‘normal’. It seems to be every 3/4 weeks he’s slipping up - he used to be doing it daily for years. Is this recovery?
I did coke with alcohol for thirty years when I could no longer get Quaaludes. For me, the coke and booze was the closest I could get to my Quaalude high. In my opinion, the first step in recovery is to understand why. You can't get addicted to a substance or a behavior, unless you have learned it does something for you! The important question to ask yourself is, what emotion do I "feel," right before I have that urge to take that drink, do a drug or engage in any compulsive behavior? Regardless of age, most people don't think about their behavior. Most people do what they do because it feels good-it makes them feel better. We live in a, "feelings," based world." It's human nature to want to be in control of our feelings, to feel better. The truth is that people don't necessarily chase feelings, they escape their feelings. Feelings need to be faced and not run from. Feelings need to be managed, to work for us instead of against us. ​The takeaway here is understanding, “Why,” do we all have the emotional need to feel better, to be in control? "What," are the specific circumstances in life, that make us feel overwhelmed, anxious, frustrated, trapped, helpless - that make us feel bad? "How," do we manage our emotions and thinking in a direct healthy manner? The application of this understanding, is the antidote to regaining control over any compulsive behavior as well as finding inner peace, in our lives in general!

The way you think determines the way you feel, and the way you feel determines the way you act. If you want to change the way you act, start by changing the way you think. In addition, if you want to change the way you feel, you must start with the way you think.

"Don't be conformed to this world, be transformed with new thinking." Romans 12:2
Old 06-01-2019, 08:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

using is using.
using less is still using.
it feeds the beast, keeps it alive and well and hungry for more.

is he still drinking?
the only solution is to quit everything, full stop. that means no coke, no booze, no pot, no pills, no substances of any kind. THEN recovery can commence.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for all taking the time to reply, he stopped drinking months ago. Got a long road ahead
Old 06-01-2019, 10:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

doesn't HAVE to be YOUR road. keep that in mind. you can pick your own road any time. you don't have to travel the path of an addict.
Old 06-02-2019, 09:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree with Anvil--no reason the rest of your life needs to be defined by someone else's addiction.

Love yourself at least as much as you love him.