Scared of my own thoughts

Old 03-10-2019, 03:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared of my own thoughts

Hello All,

Brief history, my mom died in 2010 from an overdose & my brother is actively using & I haven't heard from him in 8 months.

I am worried about myself. I feel so lost & am concerned about the negative thoughts I keep having. My depression is all consuming; yet I keep trying to find a way to overcome it. Has anyone else ever had depression that just will not go away??

I sought out therapy 3 weeks ago...& have an upcoming appointment w/ a psychiatrist. I hate medication though...especially since I have seen what it has done to my family. What am I to do? Has anyone else found away to cope w/ their grief & loss? I feel so incredibly sad all the time.

Did medication help you?

Thank you in advance for any advice.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:08 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I never used medication but I sought therapy and it took a couple of counselors before I found one that seemed to understand me and could, therefore, help me.

Keep reaching out, also check to see of there are any grief support groups in your area.

You have taken the biggest step, admitting you need help. I hope you can find a connection that will help you find your balance again.

Hugs
Old 03-12-2019, 02:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi K,

Congratulations on taking the first step in seeking professional help.

Medications for depression are not the same as say, tranquillisers or opioids, nor do they have to be taken forever. They are not addictive, although you must never stop taking them suddenly.

Many people find them super helpful to get through a period of depression. Once your mood lifts you can get out, do more, relate to people better etc, and this helps on its own. Most people only take anti-depressants for a set period.

I've suffered from life-long low level depression, and they really help me, although I've taken them for a long time in full consultation with my doctor.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have several family members who have battled clinical depression.

A good psychiatrist that helps you find the right meds and the right dose can be a real game changer. I have seen my sister go from being completely inactive and crying every 10 minutes (seriously!) to doing yoga and looking to buy a bicycle so she can "get moving". The difference was the right dose of the right medication.

And, while some of my siblings (I have 11) have conditions that require medication for their lifetime, those who have had depression were able to manage their depression with diet, exercise and therapy after getting stable from the medication. So just because you begin medication does not mean you'll be on it for a lifetime.

So - if it were your pet and the vet said he/she needed medication, I'm guessing you'd provide it. Maybe think about caring for yourself as well as you might treat someone you really care about.

Prayers for your healing.