Meth seems to make people so angry

Old 12-28-2018, 09:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Meth seems to make people so angry

I heard from my daughter on FB messenger the day after Christmas. She is homeless and sofa surfing. Been using meth since she was 16. She's 36 now. She asked me to "pay for a hotel for a week." while she "looks for a job." I refused, just like I always do, and told her that I feel like until she goes back to treatment, there isn't anything we can discuss. She has a 13 yr old in fostercare and will likely lose her rights any day now.

My daughter then began to threaten me. She "will sue me." She plans to "go to the media." Not sure what for???
The rage she expresses is really disturbing. I blocked her on social media. if she ever gets clean, I am sure she'll figure out how to call me.

Is this the meth that brings out the rage and crazy? Never having done meth myself, it's hard to fathom.

I used to do things for my daughter when I thought she was in recovery. Then her addiction progressed, just like it always does with everyone. I realized "helping her " fix her problems was actually for me-not her.

Would love to hear your comments.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, it's common for someone who abuses meth to go through rages. I have never experienced myself but having family in law enforcement, they see it all the time. It can become dangerous.

Stay strong. Sending big hugs.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't think it's just meth though. When I don't enable my son who is a heroin addict - he gets pretty angry and mean to me as well.

I am sorry that you have to go through this. I will keep you all in my prayers.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree with Bobbieka...it's not just the meth. You are standing in the way of her and her addiction by not giving her money.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

One of the "excuses" I have heard from police when they don't want to act on domestic violence is: it's common for that drug to cause violence.

So I think: yes, the drug can cause people to be aggressive... but probably not more than they are already capable of being. It's like if you're drinking. Yes, you can act like a drunken buffoon, but not more than you are already capable of clowning (in my opinion).
Old 12-29-2018, 12:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Meth can not only cause rage, it can cause psychosis.

"Going to the media?" Sounds crazy to me.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Meth can cause people to lose touch with reality and it can cause people to rage. It's a hell of a drug.

I also think any addict is capable of rage if something or someone threatens to come between them and their supply. That's the nature of the beast of addiction, it twists people into something they otherwise wouldn't be. But when you are in it you can't see it.

I really hope your daughter can find the strength to turn her life around.

And I wish you peace.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

When my daughter was in psychosis from meth she accused me of all kind of horrible things. Statements that if taken seriously could ruin my professional life.
When she started to get off meth she was so angry and still accused me of "ruining"her life because I would help her. Which she meant giving her money to get drugs,and a car to get drugs and a house to do sleep off the drugs.
The anger lasted for months even after rehab.Slowly as her anti psychotic meds kicked in she has become better.
Drugs and addiction makes them mean.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm right there with you. Even when she was in recovery, or so I thought, it seemed like she expected me (in a sense) to pay her to be my daughter. Now that I have cut her off completely, she is off the hook with anger and threats. She is homeless and working as a street walker to buy drugs. I pray she might spend a long stretch in jail, perhaps prison, just to save her life.