Our Holiday Happy Thread About Hope Not Dope.

Old 01-02-2019, 03:12 PM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Happy New Year dear LMN, may 2019 bring you peace and happiness and a bucket of joy.

A little Ralph to wind up this thread. Looks like we all made it through the holidays a little wiser and better for the journey. Love you all.

Happy with who you are

Give yourself permission to be happy with who you are, with what you love and care about, with all you can do. Don’t let the shallowness of daily encounters distract you from the profound values that live at your core.

Feel how peaceful it is to be comfortable in your own skin. Enjoy the satisfaction you can bring forth inside yourself rather than being addicted to acquiring more and more outer possessions.

Love yourself for who you are instead of being obsessed with the image you project. Recognize the unique beauty in each person you encounter, and let that beauty be reflected in your own behavior.

Do what makes you feel good on the inside, not what merely makes you look good on the outside. Be good to your authentic self and enjoy the treasures that flow from your deepest values.

Be an enthusiastic explorer in the rich and fertile realm of your own true spirit. There is no telling what wonders you will find, what magnificent experiences you will have.

Make your life about more than just doing and having what everybody else says you should do and have. Be truly happy with who you are, and live the special joy that is yours to live.

— Ralph Marston
Old 01-02-2019, 03:21 PM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Good one Ann.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:08 PM
  # 163 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Love it Ann. And love posting with you all again!
Old 01-04-2019, 07:34 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

That is a good one Ann! Love that. I am learning to appreciate who I am, more and more, a little at a time. My X Husband drove away all self confidence I had. And being a single parent is the hardest thing I have ever done. I question myself ALL THE TIME. I have been trying very hard for the past year or so to see through all of those self doubts and look at my authentic self. To be honest about what I can and want to change and work on that. To put a filter on any other opinions that are not constructive or helpful.

It's a day at a time. It's still really easy to get in a funk with all the stress that comes with life, but I will continue to work on it daily.

I posted in another thread that last night our dog, who is large and only 1 y.o., had been cooped up for too long and needed exercise. Despite it being cold, I took him to the park and jogged/walked with him. I was surprised how many people were there doing their own forms of self care. One mom had a bunch of kids on scooters on the tennis courts having a blast. Some people jogging, walking, taking in the sights of the pretty creek. It was cold, and dark. However, it's well lit. I let all thought go and just enjoyed being in the moment of the clear night with my dog who was happy to be out and a free and clear mind. It was so nice.

As a bonus, my child cooked dinner while I was gone with no prompting to do so. What a nice surprise!

It made me realize that self care can come in the most simple of forms, and that I need to keep focusing on doing at least one thing per day to just take care of me. And if others, like my children or my dog get involved, that is a bigger bonus!

Ahhh....here I have rambled away again. I am sorry! Ann, your posts truly provoke a lot of thought for me. I hope I am not oversharing friends!

I wish everyone a wonderful weekend!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:18 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

great post hopeful.
Old 01-05-2019, 04:33 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

It made me realize that self care can come in the most simple of forms, and that I need to keep focusing on doing at least one thing per day to just take care of me. And if others, like my children or my dog get involved, that is a bigger bonus!
Hopeful, my father died of cancer when I was 6 and my mother raised me, and my 12 and 14 year old brothers as well as having my grandfather come live with us...and worked full time, attended two church groups and a bridge club that met once a month.

She did a wonderful job and our home was always filled with love and it wasn't until I was an adult and knew real responsibility myself that I understood how hard it must have been for her. She never ever complained, she was one of the most peaceful and happy people I have ever known. My father had been the love of her life and she never remarried, but she kept his memory very much alive in our growing up years.

I share this to tell you how very much I am inspired by all you do, I know it's harder for your, you have lots of the past to deal with too. But your children are learning from you and working with you to make your home happy. God bless you and your children. And Happy New Year to all of you.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

A privilege to read Ann.
Self care is so essential. The basis of a strong recovery. I share at a meeting yesterday how thru trauma and self neglect I lost 50kg in under a year. More of the HALTS stuff.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:47 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Typing with tears in my eyes...thank you.

I look at my own mom who is absolutely amazing. She is dealing with so much right now, yet she does so much for everyone else. She's amazing. She too made sure we knew we were loved and cared for always.

You are right, this is a hard spot, however, I am hopeful that my children will realize that self care is important the more I exhibit that for them. I am also always working on forming calm boundaries, not always easy in a house full of women LOL!

Thank you friend from the bottom of my heart.

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
Hopeful, my father died of cancer when I was 6 and my mother raised me, and my 12 and 14 year old brothers as well as having my grandfather come live with us...and worked full time, attended two church groups and a bridge club that met once a month.

She did a wonderful job and our home was always filled with love and it wasn't until I was an adult and knew real responsibility myself that I understood how hard it must have been for her. She never ever complained, she was one of the most peaceful and happy people I have ever known. My father had been the love of her life and she never remarried, but she kept his memory very much alive in our growing up years.

I share this to tell you how very much I am inspired by all you do, I know it's harder for your, you have lots of the past to deal with too. But your children are learning from you and working with you to make your home happy. God bless you and your children. And Happy New Year to all of you.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:15 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Ann: Thank you for more of Ralph Marston - amazing...all that wisdom and that he shares it is a plus.

That was, indeed, a perfect message for me to see first thing this a.m. I am grateful for SR and for the opportunity to participate.

Happy Friday to all.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

TGIF! I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!