OT: Up For Air

Old 09-23-2018, 10:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
OT: Up For Air

So I've been off the grid since mid-May.

I cracked a molar in April and it got infected towards the end of that month. I endured the worst pain I've ever felt in my life for about 3 weeks before I had it extracted. The worst part of it was I had to burn a lot of paid time off, and as a result, I really didn't have a summer break. I suppose one bright side of it was I learned I don't have an addictive personality when it comes to pain medication. Percocet and Tramadol make me sleepy, and I detest that feeling during the day.

In August, I somehow contracted hand foot and mouth virus after experiencing fevers, chills, night sweaters and insomnia. My doctor saw sores in the back of my throat. As soon as I told my wife, she scrubbed down my bathroom, washed the sheets, the pillows, and the comforter. This affirmed what I've always known: I married a good one.

Last week, my niece who went to rehab for alcoholism four years ago got married in Atlanta. She's been sober for nearly four years. My family went down for the weekend and we had a ball. I must confess to getting really emotional seeing her walk down the aisle...partly because she was a spitting image of my late mother when she was young, partly because I held my niece the day she was born when she was only 4 pounds 3 ounces, and partly because I was so proud of her for staying on the path of recovery.

Which, as all of you know, is far from easy.

I'm well, but really tired. I don't have any real time off until Christmas. Work is insanely busy. Another niece is getting married outside Atlanta at the end of next month. I'm trying to save for another trip to the Caribbean, but that's hard when you're spending hundreds of dollars on airfare, hotels, and gifts.

Then again, it's infinitely preferable to the life I was living before I found my way here.

I hope everyone is doing as well as they can.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nice to hear from you, zoso.
Old 09-23-2018, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good to hear from you. Glad things are going better.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

In spite of your pain from your tooth and sickness, your busy work schedule and trying to keep balance in your life...you sound amazingly "well", Zoso.

Family weddings can be a "vacation" too, just make the most of it and squeeze in a day or so just for you and your wife. The Caribbean will still be there next year.

It's always good to hear from you, I am glad you are on the mend.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Zoso!

I was just thinking about you the other day!

I am sorry to hear about your tooth. That really stinks! The hand, foot, and mouth disease has went around here like wildfire this year. I know tons of people who had it!

I am glad to hear about your niece. I know this means so much to you! I hope you are able the enjoy the next upcoming wedding as well!

Take care!!!
Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the check in! We are glad you're "back"!
TT
Old 09-27-2018, 02:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good to see you. zoso! I'm dealing with dental issues here and it certainly can be all consuming! Sending you welcome back hugs from Kansas!
Old 09-29-2018, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Hey, guys...I confess I feel guilty for not being around for a while. It was a very difficult summer, health-wise. It's only now that I'm back at the gym and taking care of myself.

Life has really changed over the past year or. The events that brought me here in early 2012 are nothing but a barely discernible blip these days. I guess that's the goal for all of us. My wife and I have nicely settled into married life. We're very happy and still very passionate about each other. That itself is a miracle. After my AXGF and I blew up, I resigned myself to a life alone and wanted it that way. Funny how things change, huh?

If there are cautionary tales, I guess my story is the opposite of that. Meaning if you take care of yourself, do what you have to do in terms of removing toxic people from your life, and get honest with yourself, you never know what's around the bend...
Old 09-29-2018, 03:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you are both so happy and in love zoso