It has been 8 years since my last post

Old 07-12-2018, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It has been 8 years since my last post

I don't even know why I stopped coming here. I just know I needed to tonight.

My AD has been using since she was 13 years old. She will be 27 next month. Her current DOC is meth. With heavy use of heroin and benzos. She will do everything in between as well.

I just left my daughter in the psych ward at the hospital. She got out of jail today. She was there for 2 months and 2 days. Her case worker was taking her to a shelter and to transitional living. I was able to finally get in touch with her and she just sounded "off". I haven't seen her sober in years. I really couldn't tell you the last time I have really. But, she hasn't used in 2 months, and still sounded like she was on meth. Her case worker and I both agreed she needed to go to the hospital. I have been there for five hours. Watching her talk to people that were not there. Seeing people that were not there. She said this was all a script, and that we were all out to set her up. That the cops were after her. That the walls and her bed had electricity in them. That she needed to go to work. When I asked what her job was...(she hasn't had a job in over 2 years)...she said she needed to sing and dance. Which she does neither. She seems to be having a full blown meth psychosis....but isn't on meth. Her tox screen was negative. Do any of you guys have any experience with this with your loved one?? I am worried sick.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

After doing drugs for five years, I've experienced psychosis myself. I believed I was like Jason Bourne, a secret agent on the run from the government. A voice in my head told me to strip all my clothes and do push ups in my parent's front yard. I yelled and screamed at people because I thought they were evil. Eventually my parents took notice and brought me to the hospital, where I ended up in a psych ward for a week and then a rehab program where I got sober. It took me about a year to recover and feel mentally normal again.

Here are my thoughts about your daughter and her situation, based on my own personal experience with the matter. I am not a medical professional by any means.

After 14 years of drug use, those substances have wreaked havoc on her brain. That damage is causing her to have those odd thoughts and behavior, even if she was off meth during the time you were talking with her.

Her brain can heal itself, but it'll take considerable time and complete sobriety. Given how long she's been using, it might take months or even years. Two weeks is not long enough for a dramatic change to occur.

There's also a possibility that her brain has been damaged beyond repair. She might have a mental illness, like schizophrenia, for the rest of her life even if she stays sober.

Regardless of what happens, remember that she made her choice to do drugs at 13 that ultimately put her in this state. Since she's an adult now, you are not responsible for her choices-- she is. All you can do is love and help her as much as you want. You deseve to be happy too.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Two months*
Old 07-13-2018, 01:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My stepson when detoxing from alcohol had similar conversations with us. Seeing things and talking to people who were not there. I know how scary that can be. I don't know what to say if your daughter's drug panel came back negative.

She is in the right place to get help, though! Please let us know how it turns out--what the doctors have to say
Old 07-13-2018, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

About the drug panel coming back negative... I just want to say that there are a lot of synthetic drugs out there (like Spice) that they can't screen because the manufacturers try to stay a step ahead of the law. Also, hallucinogens usually are not included in standard drug tests because it takes 1-4 days to show up. Kratom is also not usually included in drug tests. If a person is sober, they look and act like they are sober. Even if she is sober, drugs do a lot of damage to the brain and it may take months to recover "normal" brain function. She may also have developed a mental illness from the brain damage.

I hope that things get better for her, and I hope that you are looking after your health and trying not to worry too much... because the only thing that worrying will do is make you ill. Sadly, you can't fix anything for her.
Old 07-13-2018, 09:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you ever considered that your AD suffers from mental illness and her drug use is/was a way of self medicating? Maybe it is not Meth psychosis and rather Schizophrenia? Symptoms are very similar. Just a thought.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I just want to say welcome back and I hope the hospital will give your daughter a full checkup and proper diagnosis.

I will keep you both in my prayers, this has to be heart breaking.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This was my first thought as well. Spice does not show on a drug panel and will absolutely make someone act that way.

I am so sorry you are going through this. Sending you many hugs!

Originally Posted by OpheliaKatz View Post
About the drug panel coming back negative... I just want to say that there are a lot of synthetic drugs out there (like Spice) that they can't screen because the manufacturers try to stay a step ahead of the law. Also, hallucinogens usually are not included in standard drug tests because it takes 1-4 days to show up. Kratom is also not usually included in drug tests. If a person is sober, they look and act like they are sober. Even if she is sober, drugs do a lot of damage to the brain and it may take months to recover "normal" brain function. She may also have developed a mental illness from the brain damage.

I hope that things get better for her, and I hope that you are looking after your health and trying not to worry too much... because the only thing that worrying will do is make you ill. Sadly, you can't fix anything for her.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Tangerinegirl,

I’m glad you posted. Hugs to you and your family. I hope the doctors can help.
Old 07-27-2018, 12:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for coming back. I have been away a long time myself and my addict is my 37 year old niece and you and I have 14 years of struggle in common.

I am very glad to hear your daughter is in the care of professionals. Whether mental illness, drugs or both - the best thing that can happen is that they are getting help.

I wonder if there is something in the air, but recently my own addict has been acting in a similar manner.

I have not figured out how to move beyond that sick feeling when a new round of craziness rears it's ugly head - except I start repeating step 11 in the 12 steps, and the Serenity Prayer. I pray a lot and ask other to pray too.

If our love cured such things, there would be no addicts in the world. In my own struggle (my niece is now homeless, crazy and refusing help), I am just trying to accept what is, figure out if there is any sane thing I can do to change whatever is within my power without enabling her poor choices and continue to pray for clarity about my Higher Power's will in such things.

Prayers for you and your daughter!