Scared

Old 04-12-2018, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared

AHand I drew up a contract last week that we both signed and agreed on. The first thing on the contract was to SCHEDULE an apt with substance abuse counselor by tomorrow ( just get the apt scheduled) To my knowledge he had not done this. The contract is postef where he sees it every day and another copy on the counter. Its not my responsibility to remind him or nag him to do whats stated in the contract is it? Hes responsible for hus actions right? If contract is violated he had to leave our home within 6 hrs. Im so scared ill have to follow through and mske him leave. Ive never enforced strict rule with him before so im guessing he going to assume the same from me, but i will follow through because its in writing. This is all so hard! Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

LT, sometimes it helps to have a plan in place of how and what you will do to enforce a boundary. That doesn't make it a lot easier but it helps and also helps you to keep your balance through all this.

Do what is right for you, then plan what your next step will be.

We are here for you no matter how this unfolds.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is a test. This is only a test.

Whatcha gonna do?
Old 04-13-2018, 07:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Boundaries without consequences or enforcement are useless. If he is not following the plan, then you must enforce the boundary.

The tougher issue here is how do you make him leave if he chooses not to. You have to have a backup plan. In my case, it is following thru with other consequences that are associated with the plan...
Old 04-13-2018, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

They are truly like naughty kids, so say what you mean, mean what you say, and be prepared to carry out your own boundaries.

Stay strong.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spence7471 View Post
Boundaries without consequences or enforcement are useless. If he is not following the plan, then you must enforce the boundary.

The tougher issue here is how do you make him leave if he chooses not to. You have to have a backup plan. In my case, it is following thru with other consequences that are associated with the plan...
My backup plan is to get my own apartment if he won’t leave. I have one to look at tomorrow morning.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you!

Originally Posted by LT55 View Post
My backup plan is to get my own apartment if he won’t leave. I have one to look at tomorrow morning.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

At one time, I had a written agreement in place with my addict. Both our signatures were on that agreement.

Her & I picked out a house for her & her daughter to live in. It was a very nice home & was an exciting time for us. I bought the house & paid for all the monthly expenses - all monthly bills. We picked out nice new furniture & lots of other things needed for a new home. I paid for everything.

For her part she was to do her best to use this opportunity to create a new life for herself & her daughter. A good life not a perfect life.

My attorney wrote the agreement. There was language concerning my commitment & hers. Her & I sat and read it carefully together. We talked about it. There was a clause where over time the house would become hers free & clear for $0. We both signed the agreement.

All she needed to do was try her best to live a good life. That's it! Perfection was not needed.

She didn't live up to her end of the bargain at all. A lot of very bad things happened including in the house drug use, drug arrest, & various criminal activity. It didn't end our relationship, but she had to move out.

She had it made for both her & her daughter. But she couldn't do it.

Having a contract or agreement in place with an addict is scary business. I wrote what I did above just so you know from my experience that it can go ugly wrong.

BTW in hind sight I no longer blame her for what went wrong with that house. I blame myself because I should have know better.

I wish you the best & hope you have a good outcome with your contract
Old 04-13-2018, 01:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sadly, I'd be putting all your energy into the back up plan.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How are things going today?
Old 04-26-2018, 06:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is fantastic, and shows your recovery is progressing. I so understand the fear. I never followed through with anything with my EXAH. My biggest fear was being by myself. I paid a high price for a warm body in my bed at night.

I have spent years learning about myself, how to nurture myself, to love myself and know that I don't need a man in my life to feel complete (which I never did if I'm honest about that).

You deserve so much more. Keep posting, keep talking. You are not alone. Hugs from Kansas!
Old 04-27-2018, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hope things are working out for you. Do keep us informed on how things went please. Your experiences will help others.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone! Today I will be strong! Today I sign for my own apartment. Today I will begin healing.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You deserve that, to be the best and happiest person you can be. Big hugs!