SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Yikes (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/426201-yikes.html)

zoso77 04-11-2018 04:06 PM

Yikes

Worked out of the house today. Around lunch time, I made a trip to my local Guitar Center to pick up some strings, and then went to my local Burger King to grab a quick bite before going home.

I walked into BK, took a glance to my left, and saw this woman having a rather animated discussion with someone on her cell phone.

It was my AXGF.

< yes, you read that correctly >

Before she could catch sight of me, I turned around, walked out, got into my car and took off.

It's been quite some time since the old Fight or Flight response has kicked in, but it's still there and it still works.

The last time she attempted to contact me, it was through Google+ shortly after my future wife and I got together. I had blocked her on email and changed my phone number after several attempts at harassing me. I blocked her on Google+, too.

As for what I felt...well, mostly revulsion. I don't know how many other men she was sleeping with when she was sleeping with me. At least two. And when I think back on how often we had sex (addicts LOVE to have sex; it was constant), it made me want to take a shower...

...which I just did...

And I also felt a bit sad. Being with her was one of the few times in my adult life that I ignored my moral compass, and sometimes that weighs on me...although nowhere as frequently as it did back then.

As I said to my wife over email a short time later, one of the good things to come out of that was I took a nearly 4 year break then ended when my wife and I got together. That gave me time to really get my head screwed on right. What I have with my wife is something I would trade for anything.

It's not too often we come face to face with a ghost. Thankfully, I escaped unscathed.

Ann 04-11-2018 04:42 PM

Good for you Zoso! And if you run into her again? :run

As I said to my wife over email a short time later, one of the good things to come out of that was I took a nearly 4 year break then ended when my wife and I got together. That gave me time to really get my head screwed on right. What I have with my wife is something I wouldn't trade for anything.
Yup, another of those "strangely wrapped gifts" that comes from our adversity and pain, that we only see in hindsight after it appears.

Your life is better today because of what you went through back in the day.

My life today is better because of the pain I walked through with my son, the strangely wrapped gift that I call "life" would not be so good today if it hadn't been so bad back then.

So give your wife a hug from "that Canadian broad" and tell her that even though she is the finest gift that came of your recovery, you will never hear me refer to her as a "trophy" wife, nope, ain't gonna say it., but she sounds like one heck of a nice prize. :tongue:

hopeful4 04-12-2018 07:02 AM

I hate the kick in the stomach feeling. Ugh.

You have handled this journey in an amazing way friend!