Court System Insanity

Old 04-11-2018, 11:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Court System Insanity

Yesterday I found out that the guy who stole/forged my checks and who was arrested a few weeks ago, was being released and has a court date scheduled for next week. This guy was arrested on 20 counts of forgery/theft/assuming false identity for items taken from my family as well as from his boss. He's got probation violations, is behind on fines and is homeless, and yet someone in their infinite wisdom has decided to ROR him until next week. I can only imagine the reason he's even been in jail this long is because there was a detainer on him from a local town for a missed court date; it's a small town and court is only weekly so I'm guessing he had to stick around in jail because of that detainer until he could have video court and get a new date for that jurisdiction.

This is absolutely insane. I have not had any contact from the police since the day he was arrested (to tell me he was). I had a letter from the prosecutor's office asking if I wanted to fill out a victim impact form and/or restitution form.

I don't understand why/how he's getting out this week. How do they release someone who's homeless (his last address was MY house, and that's over forever), the police knew he was homeless which is why it was so difficult to locate and arrest him. They finally got him and some judge lets him walk.

I'm praying that he turns up for court next week. I don't CARE where he is or what happens to him at this point, but I'd like to KNOW where he is for my own peace of mind.

He's got drug charges pending (in addition to these check charges), has not participated in any recovery program or in the evaluation mandated by the probation officer, with all the $ he got from our house and the boss' property, he must be using again (mug shot would so indicate), and he's out, waltzing around!

I don't understand how any of this makes sense. My state does not have "bail". You're evaluated based on your background history, pending charges, whether you're current on and/or have violated probation/parole, if you have stability in the community, if you've missed any court dates.... etc... and then they determine if you can leave pending trial. If you're let out at minimum you have to contact a case manager by phone weekly. It progresses to report in person bi-weekly, report weekly, maybe you're wearing an ankle bracelet, or they've deemed you have to sit in county until your case is resolved.

I'm dealing with several collections agencies hounding me for money on the bad checks, even though everyone under the sun has been provided a copy of the police report indicating the checks were stolen and I'm not responsible. Oh, everyone is lovely and says "it's just working it's way thru the system and will be resolved" but in the meantime I'm constantly having to "prove" that I've done nothing wrong....

and all the while, he's out walkin' around a free man!!

In-freaking-credible.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's so frustrating.

The reality is that the court system is now being over run with drug addicts and homeless who use the jail as a home. It's awful, sad, and frustrating.

Unfortunately, unless a person is considered a threat to others in a violent way, they are not going to keep them in jail long term. It's so unfair. I am sorry. I hope he shows up and has to pay for the crimes.

Can you request a victim advocate? Most courts have these who will keep you updated and are there to assist you.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

HOLY COW! I was reading your post/thread and I could sincerely HEAR YOU SCREAMING! You wrote with such passion that it can't be ANYTHING but true. OMGosh, you poor dear. There has to be SOMETHIN!!! ??? Umm..

Oh I'm embarrassed coz I can't even think of who you should call! Now here in *blurred PA... 8**** I would call the Local News. YEP! Ya see, here in the Burgh... we have one of those NEWS REPORTERS that look into this B.S. and help you solve it!

Hunny, I'm not kiddin. Your local news station can help you if you are out of ideas! *hugs* You precious thing. I feel so helpless for ya.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks. I came home from work yesterday to find a letter addressed to this jerk from Probation. I have returned at least a half dozen letters/notices from Probation, informing them this person no longer lives at my address. Sheesh. The envelope was quite thin, however, and before I put it back in my mailbox for the letter carrier to take away today, I admit I held it up to the light and could very easily read that he has a VOP hearing the first week in May. I called Probation, but they were not answering the phone, so I left a message in the voice mail that this character no longer lives in my home (for two months), I'm sending back the notice, as far as I know he is homeless and I have no information where they can contact him by mail. I also said that he was IN JAIL until the day before but has been released, but is supposed to be in court on Monday morning at the county, so maybe they can "reach out" to him there. This guy was a "friend" of my son, who seemed legit and wanting to make a better life for himself and just needing to get on his feet. I'll never make that mistake again. Thank God my son is doing well, is working, going to 12 steps and therapy, is jumping through all of his Probation hoops and his officer is pleased with him. We pray daily that he continues on this good path, and I pray daily that the other one never darkens our doorway again. Thanks for letting me vent.

PS, I sent an email to the detective in charge yesterday; I've yet to receive a reply. The problem is, because my own son has had legal/addiction problems, I don't like dealing w/ police/court unless absolutely necessary. I know I could (should) call the police or the prosecutor's office and demand some answers, but I really hate having to deal with them :-( face-to-face or on the phone. Just answer my email and I'll be happy!!
Old 04-12-2018, 12:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I really would reach out and see if you can simply have a victims advocate assigned to you. That way they would be your point of contact.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I goggled and found advocate office in my county. I'm going to call on Monday. Thanks.