Nar-Anon, Giving it back.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nar-Anon, Giving it back.

Four or five members of my Nar-Anon home group spent last weekend at the local NA Convention.

We staffed an information table and handed out meeting lists and some other literature and more importantly spoke with people who could probably use our 12 step program.

We were invited to this convention for the second time and we eagerly accepted. This year they asked that we be prepared to run 4 meetings during the course of the three day convention. Unfortunately, a printing error omitted our meeting times from the published schedule, as a result, no one came to the meetings. A disappointment for sure.

We did have a goodly number of visitors to our table, some with comments like, "My wife needs this!"

Several people spoke with us at length and I think they will turn up at a meeting soon.

Some of the home group folks were really bummed out at the lack of meetings and the number of visitors we had. I told them all, "If we touch just one peson's life, it was worth it."

I remember just how bad a basket case I was when we found Nar-Anon. I hope some will make it to a meeting or two and discover they are not alone and never need to be again.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 03-14-2018, 03:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I told them all, "If we touch just one peson's life, it was worth it."

I remember just how bad a basket case I was when we found Nar-Anon. I hope some will make it to a meeting or two and discover they are not alone and never need to be again.
Jim, I once attended an NA convention with my son and while he was at his meetings, I was at mine and it was inspiring to both of us. Together we listened to speakers who touched our hearts forever.

I too was a basket case when I walked into my first meeting (CoDA was my home group), I had no idea what to expect but I knew it couldn't be worse than where I already was. It was people like you, who made me feel welcome and feel like I had finally found a group of people who truly understood what I was going through.

I will always be grateful for those who went before me and lit the path until I could find my own light.

Hugs, Jim, for all you do to help others who are lost in the darkness of codependency.

And newcomers here...give yourself the gift of recovery. Find a meeting in your area and go...and go again..I promise that you will find something that you didn't know was possible...serenity and peace.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

JimC60: Good for you and others whose lives you've touched. What a wonderful and hopeful share you've provided.

I am hoping the news continues to reach many, those folks then becoming aware they can reach out and start the walk toward freedom -- for one, freedom from isolation, from suffering in silence.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

As it turned out, on Saturday afternoon of the Convention, there was one woman who showed up for our scheduled 4pm meeting.

The meeting chair volunteer and her husband ran a meeting with just the three of them.

The woman showed up at our home group meeting this week! S he has already declared that she will be back.......nice to get a win.

Keep coming back,

Jim