# 21 (permalink)  

"Quote:
Originally Posted by VioletKnight
Fact;
Marijuana is a drug.
Marijuana is a mind altering substance.
The end.

What she said.

Sadly, it sounds like he is not ready to give it up. That leaves the decision with you....Do you want to live in a marriage where MJ rules?

Personally, my own boundary of zero tolerance for drugs in my home or my presence includes very specifically marijuana.

Welcome to SR. "

The above section I copied and pasted, quoting VioletKnight and then Ann: That speaks to me and I agree.

Good thread, by the way.

For sure and hands-down/no question that marijuana use and abuse was one very significant factor in our (at the time a teenager) son's deterioration and inability to function. It was not a laughing matter. So grateful to leave that behind.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:08 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Troubledone View Post
I guess no matter what the behavior is, we all have our deal-breakers.

It helps to know what yours is.

Maybe you know about the story of boiling a frog - if you put a frog in water and very gradually raise the heat, the frog will stay in there until he's dead and cooked. But, if you try to throw a frog in hot water he will jump out.

Question - is the MJ habit hot enough to cause you to jump out? If not, how will you know when you should jump before you're "cooked".
It's a disease which tells us we don't have a disease,
which many pursue into the gates of insanity and death. -AA Big Book
Marijuana is an illusionary and dangerous drug which is now socially acceptable.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:30 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by VioletKnight View Post
Fact;
Marijuana is a drug.
Marijuana is a mind altering substance.
The end.
Acually, MJ is a herb/plant. It occurs in a natural form in nature that does not require any processing to get the benefits of the main stimulant. The fact that humans label it as a drug is not relevant.

MJ is a not a mind altering substance... it is a substance which causes the body to respond in a pleasurable way... and it is the mind which continues to seek out the pleasure afterwards.

Many people use drugs and alcohol in a recreational fashion in this world and are able to do so in a responsible fashion... do not blame the drug for the disease... blame the disease...

This conversation is akin to the gun debate... guns do not kill people... people kill people with guns... there is a very big difference...
Old 03-06-2018, 09:48 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Marijuana is an addictive substance. Not everyone uses it regularly. Some people only drink alcohol at the weekend. When used regularly both substanes can take away the juice of life. It kills the zest.

I overheard a couple of young people on the train on Sunday discussing weed. They had several friends who became hooked and said that they had lost sight of their goals. They gave up their ambitions and just carried on smoking weed and did nothing else with their lives.

That is what happened to my son. He went to America with such a zest for life, such ambition and determination.... so happy to have won a place at a top school.

He now sits and drinks and smokes marijuana wondering where all the years went, wondering why it didn’t happen for him as it was supposed to.

Very sad.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:56 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Codimum View Post
Marijuana is an addictive substance. Not everyone uses it regularly. Some people only drink alcohol at the weekend. When used regularly both substanes can take away the juice of life. It kills the zest.
What you said is true about so many things tho... most things used in moderation are not an issue... hell, one can even take poisons in small amounts with no adverse effects. Likewise, abuse of most anything can cause problems... Vitamins in excess can be harmful and take away the zest of life....

The bigger issue is that someone who regularly uses these substances (alcohol, drugs, sex, food, exercise, etc...) often have underlying issues that they are using these things to cover up.

I am sorry for what happened to your son... hopefully he will discover the zest again without the need to use.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:26 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spence7471 View Post
Acually, MJ is a herb/plant. It occurs in a natural form in nature that does not require any processing to get the benefits of the main stimulant. The fact that humans label it as a drug is not relevant.

MJ is a not a mind altering substance... it is a substance which causes the body to respond in a pleasurable way... and it is the mind which continues to seek out the pleasure afterwards.

Many people use drugs and alcohol in a recreational fashion in this world and are able to do so in a responsible fashion... do not blame the drug for the disease... blame the disease...

This conversation is akin to the gun debate... guns do not kill people... people kill people with guns... there is a very big difference...
A drug is a drug is a drug.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:27 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Spence7471 View Post
What you said is true about so many things tho... most things used in moderation are not an issue... hell, one can even take poisons in small amounts with no adverse effects. Likewise, abuse of most anything can cause problems... Vitamins in excess can be harmful and take away the zest of life....

The bigger issue is that someone who regularly uses these substances (alcohol, drugs, sex, food, exercise, etc...) often have underlying issues that they are using these things to cover up.

I am sorry for what happened to your son... hopefully he will discover the zest again without the need to use.
Most marijuana users with underlying issues argue a similar case to yours, trying to convince us that marijuana is a harmless herb and not an addictive drug etc etc.

Sorry but you’re unconvincing.

Marijuana is a drug and many people become addicted to it. Mostly when they’re young and naive. They may have been told that it’s not addictive when they first started using it. It was fun. Then they denied they had a problem with it even though they used it more frequently and it became their priority over all the good juicy things in life they aspired to. Then they no longer cared whether it was addictive or not because they couldn’t stop using. Then they developed underlying issues such as not being able to hold down a job or keep a relationship, being broke all the time.... and then kept taking it to ‘cover up’ their feelings of shame, of failure. Denying that their drug... their precious natural herb has anything to do with their demise.

I hope my son finds his zest again too. Thank you for your concern.
Old 03-07-2018, 03:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Acually, MJ is a herb/plant.
Aspirin comes from willow bark. Arsenic is in the soil.

Cyanide can be derived from peach pits. Mushrooms can be poisonous. I wouldn't be chomping on holly berries either, nor would I be frolicking in the poison ivy.

And let's not forget heroin - that comes from poppy flowers!

The substances from these plants may not be drugs according to your classification, but they sure as heck can be toxic to humans.
Old 03-07-2018, 05:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

MJ is a not a mind altering substance
I smoked daily for more or less 30 years Spence.

You can bet your sweet bippy it altered my mind - not only in the sense of getting high but over time I believe it also changed my neural pathways.

It also contributed to mental health issues like depression anxiety and paranoia for me - and my lungs aren't in a great state either.

You can argue the contrary if you like - but for me discussions like this on a board like this is kinda like addressing a room of people allergic to peanuts and telling them that peanuts are actually OK...

truthful perhaps, but of dubious value to your audience?

D
Old 03-07-2018, 06:50 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I had an emotional breakdown at age 17,
and dropped out of a prestigious high school
as a direct result of using marijuana.
I am now a writer and a college graduate.
People smoke marijuana to get stoned, as did I.
I was a marijuana connoisseur and smoked exotic weeds from all over the world.
I haven't smoked pot since the 80s and thank God for that
because Marijuana is an insidious drug and people who continue
to smoke it in recovery will always relapse as did my ex-husband
who had a history of chronic relapse in AA
because he was on "the marijuana maintenance program".
Marijuana causes emotional and spiritual bankruptcy,
and eventually physical bankruptcy.
And that's a fact.
Old 03-08-2018, 03:55 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

I'm going to say that I completely agree with Noor and Puzzheart here... and a few others. Marijuana is a drug as bad as any drug you can be addicted to. My AH thought that he could use marijuana when he quit drinking because he used to say things exactly like this: "MJ is a herb/plant. It occurs in a natural form in nature. MJ is a not a mind altering substance... it is a substance which causes the body to respond in a pleasurable way... and it is the mind which continues to seek out the pleasure afterwards."

That (above) sounds exactly like the things AH used to say. His use of various "harmless" substances resulted in the loss of his job, his health, his home, and his relationships. I used to have more relaxed attitudes to marijuana use. I now avoid getting too emotionally invested in people who smoke it because I do not want to be upset if they one day end up living on the streets... and I also find that they are often a word away from quacking. I think it's really unhelpful to discuss how "natural" a drug is or isn't in a forum for addiction because: "discussions like this on a board like this is kinda like addressing a room of people allergic to peanuts and telling them that peanuts are actually OK..."

BASIC Definition of "drug": (noun) a medicine or other substance which has a physiological effect when ingested or otherwise introduced into the body.

Considering that the more we know about the brain, the more we know that there's a mind-body connection, I would say that ANYTHING that affects your body also affects your mind. Any drug that can produce a quick feeling of physical relaxation most definitely affects the brain because the muscles of the body do not work independently of the brain. Over time, long term use of a relaxant can have a nullifying effect on the brain's own ability to create natural relaxation in the body. Further complicating the issue is that the brain is supposed to be able to produce its own cannabinoids.

I'm not a scientist. But I did research the cr@p out of this after someone I knew developed mj-induced psychosis and depression.

If you are living with a person who is an addict, you have to ask yourself what your boundaries are and honor them... regardless of if what they are using is classified as a "drug" or not. You can't ingest playing cards, but if the addict in your life had a gambling problem, you need to decide if you want to live with it.

All addiction affects the brain... eventually; and also, addiction to one thing often leads to another. My AH relapsed from substance to substance because he always thought, "well, this substance isn't as bad as the last one, because it's a herb and not fermented." Or: "this substance isn't a natural herb so it's not so bad because it's synthetic so it's 'purer' ." Etc... .

Addiction is the compulsive use of a substance or a compulsive behavior where the consequences create negative effects on the user's health, their finances, their ability to work, and their relationships.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:25 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

So again, not disagreeing with people here that MJ can be a bad drug... but it is a substance... and it is not likely the substance that is the true issue... it is the person that is using it. If you are addicted to MJ, you would also likely be just as inclined to be addicted to alcohol, cigarettes, sex, etc... It is the person that has the disease... not the drug... I watch many addicts weed themselves from one addiction to the next... the MJ maintenance program is an example.

As was said earlier.. almost anything can be harmful in sufficient doses or use... people become addicted to OTC sleeping aids, food, etc.. again, these people are likely dual diagnosis in which their is an underlying issue.

As for the drugs altering the neural pathways, some probably do directly by killing areas of the brain.. other drugs affect other parts of the body... liver, lungs, etc... As I am not in that field of research, I will not debate whether it is the drug that is causing the pathways to be reconstructed or the brain as it seeks to cope with the damage done.

I am not advocating people to go abuse drugs of any kind... but I also feel that blaming the drug for the addict's disease is not addressing the real issue... and simply removing the one substance does not solve the problem as they will likely turn to another.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Blaming the drug is not the issue.
Marijuana is one of many addictive drugs.
People in recovery or people who strive to be recovery
have no business taking addictive drugs
if they want to survive and live a happy and whole life.
If a person wonders if they have a problem with marijuana
or any other drug then they probably do
or they wouldn't be asking the question.
If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is a duck.
Simple.
Black and white.
Not a debate,
Get with the program.
Old 03-08-2018, 07:07 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I think it's time to end the debate that really has no business taking place on a recovery site.