Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

"Nobody stayed in a burning building because they were afraid of fresh air"

Old 01-22-2018, 07:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chumplady is right on target, again.
https://www.chumplady.com/2018/01/dont-need-bad-2/

For those of you who haven't heard of her, she runs a blog which encourages folks to be "mighty"- to stand up to those who've cheated/ betrayed them. This blog was instrumental in helping me find the strength to leave my AXH.

Her post today really spoke to me. I stayed in a relationship because of fear of the unknown. They were legitimate fears. But sometimes choices suck. Are you going to go down with the burning house, or take your chance with the unknown?

Chump Lady says this:

" But when choices suck, I think the best thing to do figure out where you have the most agency, the most control over a given set of circumstances, and move in that direction. (Remember, you only control yourself.)"
Old 01-22-2018, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this! I am going to start following her, it's good stuff!
Old 01-23-2018, 03:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That is a awesome link, right down to the responses after.

I volunteered at a women's shelter a few years back and many of the women there returned to the abuse because "they had no where else to go". Today that same shelter has small apartment buildings with security, counseling, childcare and job training...all free for one year, where these women can get back on their feet financially and prepare for a healthier life for themselves and their children.

Nobody should have to live with abuse, mental, physical or emotional. Much of what holds them back is the mindset that where they are is better than where they would go.

Articles like the one above help to open the door to better thinking, to clarity and better decisions.

Thank you for posting this.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love Chump Lady, and my husband hasn't even cheated on me! I wish I had her in my twenties - I could have used a good heaping dose of her then.

Her response to the NY Times "An Optimist's Guide to Divorce" was PRICELESS.