For those who have lost loved ones.

Old 12-25-2017, 05:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

For those who have lost loved ones.

At this time of year, people gather with their loved ones (or their relations ) and celebrate. It's a time for families to eat, hug, go to church or temple (or Dagobah), exchange presents, sing songs, reminisce about the past year, and worry about how they are going to celebrate the New Year, and what they are going to do with all the left-over turduckin.

It's been a bitter-sweet Christmas day chez Katz. Everyone was more relaxed than they had been in ages. Everyone was happier than they had been in ages. Yet there was sadness too. It's almost as if when the addict leaves us, they leave their shadow behind, and it's like the shadow of a person who has passed on. Just a dark corner of your mind, where memories flicker by quickly like images from a silent movie film reel. The first thing you forget is the sound of their voice. Their face is the last thing to go, because you still have photos somewhere; and from time to time you accidentally see them, and you feel grateful for the pictures... because it's almost as if you weren't wasting time with them, you were at least taking pictures of them. No matter how abusive they were. No matter how much money they spent on drugs or drink. You remember that there were times they *tried*. You remember they were just never... enough (even for themselves).

For those of you who have lost loved ones... either through separation or death, may the blessings of the season be upon you, may the New Year bring you closer to peace.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Thank you for this, and may you and yours have a good Christmas and New Year ahead.

My son has been missing for over 10 years, lost in his addiction somewhere, and I think Christmas is the hardest time to accept what is. I always say a special Christmas Prayer for him, and remember the Christmas Eve services we used to go to, and then let go of the pain and spend time surrounded by love of the rest of my family.

God Bless those who have lost loved ones to addiction, God Bless those addicts who are still out there lost in their dark abyss. And God Bless each of us who support each other and understand.

Merry Christmas OpheliaKatz, and all who come here.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beautifully put, so very true.

I still have photos of my ex-husband all over the house. Sometimes I wonder why it doesn't hurt more to look at them. This man caused me so much pain! He's still causing me pain! But I guess it's because I know it's not him that's doing this, it's his addiction. And it really is like I'm a widow.

Blessings.