Old habits die hard

Old 11-23-2017, 10:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Old habits die hard

Today a mutual friend told me that the weed addict that I almost dated 8 weeks ago is with another woman. She has the exact same life style as him, and is a raver, addicted to MDMA and god knows what else. I don't even know what MDMA is. It just confirms everything about him, what you all said, and helped me through. He was a future faker, but then realized he doesn't want to go far from his lifestyle at all.

I thought I would feel sad but I felt relief which was weird. And I felt free, like the sky is the limit. I'm surprised at that feeling so I just wanted to post here.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

90% of our communication was "future faking": when someone talks about glamorous future plans that never pan out.
When an addict does it, the result is a huuuuge cognitive dissonance, which causes fantasy to clash with reality.
They realize the fantasy will never happen, get freaked out by that reality and run, to seek comfort in what they know best and are comfortable with: a girl who lives and breathes their own lifestyle.

Well that was enough closure for me.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you!!

AndI learned a great new phrase...”future faking.” Brilliant!

Old 11-23-2017, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel the same relief with my ex-husband.

In a way, I'm grateful to him for proving me in every possible way that I absolutely made the best, the only, decision for my children and myself.

In some ways, my divorce would have been more difficult to cope with if he had straightened out and started living his life in a decent way. Instead, he's reinforced over and over again that he is a dangerous and damaged person, and that we are far better off without him.

Blessings.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a relief, huh? Well, I think you've been spared. Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just so you know. WDMA is ecstasy
Old 11-24-2017, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

MDMA is ecstasy. My (stbx)AH told me that I would have less of a problem with his drugging if I took MDMA, because it would make me feel more positive towards him and "enlighten" me since I was "ignorant" about drugs. I said no. If my life is crap, drugging myself to make myself feel better about my crap life isn't going to actually make my life less crap in reality. I am so happy that you feel relief!
Old 11-24-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Crap life

I like your quote about drugs not making a crap life better. My daughter (the addict) is always talking about her crap life. She is in recovery and I will share this with her.
Old 11-25-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpheliaKatz View Post
MDMA is ecstasy. My (stbx)AH told me that I would have less of a problem with his drugging if I took MDMA, because it would make me feel more positive towards him and "enlighten" me since I was "ignorant" about drugs. I said no. If my life is crap, drugging myself to make myself feel better about my crap life isn't going to actually make my life less crap in reality. I am so happy that you feel relief!
That is weird, because that's exactly what he wanted from me. I guess he wanted me to be "open to anything". I'm not into drug induced good vibes, I like sober good vibes.

Glad he found what he was looking for lol.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

I have a lights out analogy. If you're sitting in a horrible room full of sharp objects, you can switch the lights off and you won't see the room, but you're still sitting in it. Drugs are just a way to switch the lights off, and anyone you live with or people who care about you, end up having to walk around this horrible room with the lights off because they interact with you, sitting there, in the dark. It hurts other people.