Cautiously Hopeful

Old 11-03-2017, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cautiously Hopeful

Hello friends, old and new. It's been ages since I've posted about my son, tho I look in now and then when in need of some ES&H. After some good years, my son thought he could "dabble" again and that led him down the same road he's traveled before. He ended up in prison, his ex (also an addict) the same, and we've had custody of our youngest two grandkids the past 3+ years. After filing a motion the past several years, my son was finally granted a hearing and awarded entry into the state drug treatment program. Upon announcing his decision, the judge looked at my son and said "now don't screw this up". My son knows this is a gift, another chance, and if he does screw up, he'll be back to the pokey finishing a harsh sentence.

I believe his head and his heart are in a different place than younger days and I'm cautiously hopeful he can make it this time. Tho honestly, it's kinda hard to imagine him as a responsible functioning adult after all these years. So next week, he gets moved to treatment for 3-6 months, and after that they will assist with transitional housing. He's excited, nervous, there's so much at stake. I've come a long way from the early days when I almost lost myself in the abyss trying to save him. I just told him "treat this as the life-threatening disease it is". I pray he will.
Old 11-06-2017, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's great he gets this chance, and that he realizes he will make it or break it. It's an opportunity for him to do with what he truly wants.

You sound like you are in an excellent place yourself, be proud of all you have accomplished!
Old 11-06-2017, 12:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hiya, Deedee, it's wonderful t see an old friend again and I am so glad that your son is heading into treatment. I'm sorry he chose a bad path but just maybe this will be the opportunity for him to set his life right again, and I will keep him in my prayers.

We both know the drill, it's hard to sit back and just "hope" that things turn out different this time, but you are not alone and everyone here is sitting with you.

I'm glad you felt safe coming here, there are a few of us old timers around and a lot of wonderful newcomers, we all welcome you home.

Hugs
Ann
Old 11-06-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Dee Dee. Thanks for the update. I have walked my road for 7 years with my son, and it really seems this time is different. And for ME, that means don't screw this up LOL. I need to let my son succeed or fail on his own merit. My "screwing it up" is jumping in unnecessarily. Rooting for your son to have the life he deserves and is willing to work for!
Old 11-10-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies. It's a process to let go, but when I go into panic mode, really appreciate those who understand and walk beside me.

My son made it to treatment on Tuesday and it must feel so surreal to him to realize he's outside the walls after 5 years. Highlights so far are good meals and bathroom privacy He certainly sounds the happiest he has in years. The facility surpasses his expecations and the silver lining is that they will assist him with obtaining state ID, health care, interview skills and a job eventually, transitional housing when the time comes. So many things to help him re-enter society and allow him to stand on his own two feet.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Perfect news! Sending big hugs and high fives for your sons chance at a great life!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Keeping both you and your son in my prayers, Deedee.
Old 11-11-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It sounds like a total blessing

It is so good that they are doing the treatment AND the practical stuff. Let's hope he turns this around FOR GOOD.