Small Clear patch

Old 10-14-2017, 05:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Small Clear patch

My ex wore a small clear patch on his arm/shoulder and I asked him what it was and he said it was to give up smoking. A lie I know. He was codine addicted. Can anyone tell me if this was something prescribed for withdrawal or was it something he should not be using?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

He's an ex. I would let it go. It could be any number of things.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
He's an ex. I would let it go. It could be any number of things.
He is a very recent ex and I am still trying to work through the emotions and figure out what to say when he gets in touch
Old 10-14-2017, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, making unfounded accusations wouldn't be helpful to you or him. None of us can possibly know what his patch was.

Most of addict behavior you aren't going to figure out.
Old 10-14-2017, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, making unfounded accusations wouldn't be helpful to you or him. None of us can possibly know what his patch was.

Most of addict behavior you aren't going to figure out.
Sorry I thought it might be something others here might know about. I don't have much experience in this area. I want to have all my facts right. So again I am sorry. The reason I posted was so that I would not make any accusations.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You don’t have to apologize. You’re still in the stage where you’re thinking more evidence would help, one way or the other.

I think what people are warning you about is that at some point, more “proof” doesn’t matter and seeking it can become a delaying tactic...not to mention driving you crazy.

It’s a sad, confusing and incredibly painful time when you’re trying to come to terms with the fact that someone you have loved lies to you. Again and again and again.

I remember. Sending you a big hug.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree, you knowing what he is doing or not doing doesn't change your situation. But here goes, codeine is an opiate and given his history that you shared of previous rehabs etc it's most likely a fentanyl patch. And as long as he has a prescription to show, he gets a pass when opiates show up on drug tests.

He's an addict, he knows exactly how to play the system.

I hope you reach a place where you can see/view this break up as a good thing for your life.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by atalose View Post
I agree, you knowing what he is doing or not doing doesn't change your situation. But here goes, codeine is an opiate and given his history that you shared of previous rehabs etc it's most likely a fentanyl patch. And as long as he has a prescription to show, he gets a pass when opiates show up on drug tests.

He's an addict, he knows exactly how to play the system.

I hope you reach a place where you can see/view this break up as a good thing for your life.

Thanks this actually answers my question. I guess I thought it might be something prescribed to help an addict. If this is not the case then why would a Doctor give this to someone with addiction issues?

Thank you. I am starting to feel better. I know it is a long road but I am getting there.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Give it time, SE.
All things pass.
Old 10-14-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SadEx View Post
Thanks this actually answers my question. I guess I thought it might be something prescribed to help an addict. If this is not the case then why would a Doctor give this to someone with addiction issues?

Thank you. I am starting to feel better. I know it is a long road but I am getting there.
Some doctors get kickbacks, some are lazy and don't do their homework, some are being manipulated by very cunning and creative addicts...

It took me about 7 months to get over my ex and stop obsessing over his issues. The funny thing is, in all of my sleuthing, I never got any concrete answers- at least none that I would accept. It's when I let go that the facts began to reveal themselves. Now I know more than I would ever want to. Really, I'm disgusted.

Focus on yourself.

All the best
Old 10-14-2017, 12:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hechosedrugs View Post
Some doctors get kickbacks, some are lazy and don't do their homework, some are being manipulated by very cunning and creative addicts...

It took me about 7 months to get over my ex and stop obsessing over his issues. The funny thing is, in all of my sleuthing, I never got any concrete answers- at least none that I would accept. It's when I let go that the facts began to reveal themselves. Now I know more than I would ever want to. Really, I'm disgusted.

Focus on yourself.

All the best

You know really I am disgusted already. He could still basically be using then. I honestly thought this was some sort of methadone thing prescribed to stop the cravings. I mean he actually smelled of smoke. Tried to blame someone else. I doubt it was a nicotine patch but I did think it was something Rehab prescribed for him. Your post makes a lot of sense. I am actually disgusted & shocked at myself too for loving someone who treated me in such a horrific manner. I do miss him though. He could be a very loving person.
Old 10-14-2017, 03:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

people do wear nicotine patches and still smoke. a patch does not STOP them from smoking, it is only an aid if they are trying to quit.

he told you what is was. it's either the truth or a lie. at the end of the day, does it really matter?
Old 10-14-2017, 06:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know he's a recent ex, but now is a great time to start separating your life from his. Like both of you are kind of supposed to be strangers now. I know its hard trust me.

Just focus on things that matter most, like getting yourself back.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Reality is, addicts are not going to disclose to a Dr they potentially could get drugs from that they are addicts.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Clear patch

Originally Posted by SadEx View Post
My ex wore a small clear patch on his arm/shoulder and I asked him what it was and he said it was to give up smoking. A lie I know. He was codine addicted. Can anyone tell me if this was something prescribed for withdrawal or was it something he should not be using?
I doubt this will help you work through the emotional wake of his addiction but for what it's worth- it probably was a nicotine patch. I'm a registered nurse 14 years qualified. I can't recall EVER seeing a clear morphine (or fentanyl/butrans whatever) patch. They are designed to be discrete but not invisible as accidental overdose in community and hospital is common and they are usually skin coloured but opaque (we often write time and date applied on the patch- kind of a fine sticky plaster material). Also, they are typically applied to the chest wall or upper back, not arm or shoulder. Obviously this may vary.
Nicotine patches are usually clear and worn on the arm, none of this is hard and fast.
One thing I will say, the patch would 100% say what drug and dose is contained (i.e, Butrans 25mcg).
The broader issues are the main. He's an ex as has been said. Exes aren't exes for nothing. Don't let your 'want' to believe him muddy the water. This sounds more like a matter of the heart than an addiction concern. Easy answer- read the patch and Google it. If there's no information on it, it's highly unlikely to be a legal opiate transdermal patch. Proves nothing. He could still be using whatever.
I hope you make the right choices. Breaking up is never easy, just like breaking bad habits.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

This.....

Originally Posted by IBlameTheOCD View Post
I doubt this will help you work through the emotional wake of his addiction but for what it's worth- it probably was a nicotine patch. I'm a registered nurse 14 years qualified. I can't recall EVER seeing a clear morphine (or fentanyl/butrans whatever) patch. They are designed to be discrete but not invisible as accidental overdose in community and hospital is common and they are usually skin coloured but opaque (we often write time and date applied on the patch- kind of a fine sticky plaster material). Also, they are typically applied to the chest wall or upper back, not arm or shoulder. Obviously this may vary.
Nicotine patches are usually clear and worn on the arm, none of this is hard and fast.
One thing I will say, the patch would 100% say what drug and dose is contained (i.e, Butrans 25mcg).
The broader issues are the main. He's an ex as has been said. Exes aren't exes for nothing. Don't let your 'want' to believe him muddy the water. This sounds more like a matter of the heart than an addiction concern. Easy answer- read the patch and Google it. If there's no information on it, it's highly unlikely to be a legal opiate transdermal patch. Proves nothing. He could still be using whatever.
I hope you make the right choices. Breaking up is never easy, just like breaking bad habits.