I'm Ba-a-a-a-a-a-ck!!!!!

Old 09-27-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

I'm Ba-a-a-a-a-a-ck!!!!!

OMG! It's been a long time since I last posted on here. I think it was in 2013. I can't believe how fast the time goes by especially at my age.
Mr. Marteen and I are still raising our granddaughter; it will be 7 (seven) years in Dec. She was only 5 when we got her and she just turned 12 this summer.
She is the best thing that has happened to us because she has made us realize that we just can't sit around, get old and let our muscles atrophy! Of course, we don't have the opportunity of travel like we thought we would in retirement but we did a lot of that when we were young so we don't feel like we are missing anything.
She is a highly intelligent young lady (all A's & in grade 7), very talented (plays the piano and sings and is quite the artist). She takes piano and singing lessons but the art is all hers. She is also beautiful both inside and out.
The saddest thing is we are all estranged from her mother, our AD. There was a lot of trying to get them together so they could have a good relationship and it worked for a bit. But AD is now acting so narcissistic, nasty, mean, blaming and hateful and doesn't seem to care or consider her daughter's feelings.
Can't prove it but I always remember what I learned her at a newbie and then as a Moderator; If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck, it probably is a duck!! That applies equally to an active addict. That's all the prove I need. Needless to say, it's not an attitude or behavior that the granddaughter needs or should be around so she's not!!

Don't know how many of those I knew way back are still here but if you are and you remember me, please post and let me know. I miss my days here and hate that my story with AD does not have a happy ending but it is what it is and unfortunately, drugs don't make it anything else!

To all of you who do not know me, you need to know that you have come to a great place; a place that saved me and mine and my other families' sanity. Could never be where I am today if it wasn't for finding Sober Recovery!

Hugs to all,
Marteen
Old 09-27-2017, 03:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well Welcome Home Marteen!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Marteen!!!!

Holy cow, I had to check the thread when I saw your name but yes, it's really you.

I am so sorry your daughter is still lost in her addiction....so is my son...and it sounds like you have found your peace with all this and find joy in your life today. Your granddaughter must take after you, she sound precious and she is so blessed to have you and Mr. Marteen.

My life is good today too, Mr. Ann and I both went through some serious cancer (at the same time...I don't recommend that) but we are both well today and embracing life like never before. If any good came from being so sick it is that it really got through to both of us that life is precious and not a day should be squandered. Oh if I only had that wisdom 15 years ago when I arrived here on the bus of despair.

There are many old timers still around and a whole bunch of newbies who could learn from you and your experience, strength and hope.

It sure is good to see you, I am thrilled to see an old friend walk in the door.

Hugs and Hugs
Old 09-27-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

So good to see you, Marteen! I'm so sorry that your older daughter remains lost in her world, but so glad you and Mr. M are there for your beautiful granddaughter!

Believe it or not, it's been 11 years since we lost our youngest daughter. My oldest is doing wonderful with a great career, hubbie and now a precious baby boy. There's nothing as special as being a grandmother! I too am enjoying every precious moment of live, grateful for all that I do have and comforted by memories of the child I lost.

I hope your younger daughter is doing well and that life continues to send you blessings.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:58 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's good to see you Marteen. I was just thinking about you a couple of days ago. My neighbors reminded me of a job you had when we last talked.

I'm so glad your granddaughter is doing so well. She will keep you young.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hug giver-outer!

It warms my heart to hear from some of you. Ann, I am so sorry to hear about your and Mr. Ann's health problems! I can't imagine the agony, frustration and anxiety you had with both of you going through such a thing at the same time! God love you; you sure had a lot on your shoulders. From the sound of it, you are both doing well and far from those days (I hope and pray) and enjoying what you have. Amazing how something like that can change your perspective and give you more appreciation of the things we tend to take for granted. So glad to hear things are now going well.
Morning Glory, I was SO glad to see your name still here! Funny that I was on your mind not long ago; that must have been the that little "itch" I had in my ear. ha, ha.
Our youngest daughter, who is a Dr. (has her Ph.D) is doing well and keeping busy with her job and her boyfriend, who is living with her. She got a job as a University Professor when she got out of Graduate School but left that to pursue private enterprise experience. Unfortunately, the Federal Govt. does not consider her experience as a Professor for a job in her field. She either comes here to visit us or we go where she lives to visit her. Granddaughter loves her Aunt and she is a wonderful role model for her.
greeteachday, OMG, I can't believe it has been 11 years since you lost your daughter. So glad to hear that your other daughter has done so well and blessed you with a grand child. I agree, they keep you young. As the saying goes, "My kids may have aged me but my grandchildren made me young again!" I wish I could just be a Grandma; this being both mom and grandma stinks. I can't spoil her and just send you home! ha, ha

I think I'll just take a seat on the rocking chair here for a few days and hang out. It feels like old times and I think I'll enjoy the escape from home for a while! hee, hee.

Hugs,
Marteen
Old 09-28-2017, 04:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
"O you must wear your rue with difference".

Marteen, I'm new here so I don't know you. I read so many sad stories that I'm really glad that yours has a happy ending. I'm sad about your AD, but also, you seem to have found joy despite it. I am hopeful that my life will work out just because yours has.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Hi there, Marteen! What a nice surprise to see you!
Old 09-28-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back!!!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Marteen! Thanks for dropping back in. Life continues for us all. today JJ is in recovery, but its been a battle he's faced down over 7 long years. My other two children (22 and 20) are thriving with college and futures, and I think JJ is getting the fact he is not getting any younger LOL. I love coming here to help those who are where I was when I discovered SR. Lost and lonely and so so terrified of addiction. I learned SO much about what addiction is and what part I have played in my enabling. I am at peace today and look forward to more updates from some of our senior members (not in age LOL!).