Brother with Heroin addiction

Old 04-10-2017, 02:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brother with Heroin addiction

So here we go. I live out of state from my family and have a brother that has had addiction issues for years. He has admitted to several family members throughout the years to his addiction to pills. During my last visit home it seemed as though he was getting himself together. After a conversation with my older brother I have realized that is not the case.

Through a chance encounter my older brother had with my younger brother it seems as though the situation is much worse. It has come to light that my little brother is living in his car and has been doing Heroin. My older brother said he looked pretty rough. There is a lot more details to the story but I am looking for advice.

My younger brother has no phone or way to contact him. From what my older brother says he shows up to my mom's periodically to "check in" with my mom. My older brother said he seemed like he wants to stop but has not asked for help. My older brother was obviously pretty shaken up by the encounter and realization of what is happening. I am also at a loss of what to do or where to start. I am terrified for my little brother. I want to get on a plane and go find him and drag his butt to go get help. My older brother and Mom have looked in to treatment options and are waiting for my brother to come to them for help since we don't know what else to do. I feel like I can't help someone who doesn't want it and all the help in the world will do nothing if it's unwanted. Just looking for advice. I love my little brother to death and don't want to see him or my family go through this.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I'm so sorry you are going through this and you are right, unless he wants help any effort to save him will be futile.

It won't hurt to give him information and numbers for rehabs (the Salvation Army rehabs are free and very good), or detoxes, or AA/NA meetings in your area. That's where the real help is and when he is ready he just may reach out.

I will keep your family in my prayers, addiction truly does affect everyone and not just the addict.

Hugs
Old 04-11-2017, 08:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"I want to get on a plane and go find him and drag his butt to go get help."

Maybe you can't help him if he doesn't want help?
Maybe you are the ONLY person that can reach him and God put it on your heart to be the one?
Sometimes we have to be faithful and do what is laid on our heart, and then 'Let Go and Let God'?

The only suggestion I have is to Pray for direction and discernment, then proceed where you feel the direction leads, even if that is to go where 'Angels Fear to Tread'.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dear JRed, I am a Mom of a recovering Heroin addict, and let me tell you that NOTHING can come between them and their drug until they have decided to stop and that usually is when the circumstances of using is more painful than the fear of withdrawals. It is so difficult to stand on the sidelines while our loved ones run wild, but no matter what you do or say, they will continue to use until THEY say they are done. For my son, we have had months where he is doing very well and then in a heartbeat, he runs again. I will pray for you and your parents and older brother for peace and guidance from our God in allowing you to trust and have faith that God will watch over your brother.
Hugs
TT
Old 04-12-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your replies. It is a terrible thing. It is so hard to be so far from home not knowing. I have been praying my butt off. I hope that his heart is healed and he can make that first leap of faith to get the help he needs.