Chris Herren Speaker

Old 03-31-2017, 08:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chris Herren Speaker

Hello all,

In September of 2016, I got to hear Chris Herren speak at Father Martin's Ashley in Maryland. Chris is the author of Basketball Junkie and the star of "Unguarded" an addiction documentary about him. Chris is a powerful speaker with a wonderful message of recovery which he tells 250 times per year. I believe that he speaks mostly in the Northeast region, but I may be mistaken.

Chris was a high school basketball star that took his team on to win the Massachusetts State Championship, continued stardom in college and then drafted by the Boston Celtics - his lifelong dream fulfilled, only to throw it all away for cocaine and heroin.

Of the 15 players on the Championship team, 7 became heroin addicts. Chris's clean date is 8/1/08 and he has devoted his life ever since to spreading the word and helping people find help in recovery.

After hearing him speak, I contacted his non-profit organization to find out if he was speaking anywhere locally so I could spread the word to others in my homegroup, etc. To my delight Chris was scheduled to speak at a local Catholic high school this week - once during the school day to the students and again in the evening to parents and the general public.

About half of the "regulars" from my homegroup showed up and we all enjoyed his presentation along with a few hundred others, many from the recovery community (it's kind of strange how you get to recognize the faces). Also kind of a shame really since there was space for hundreds more in the auditorium.......

If you ever get the chance to hear him, don't miss it!

His speaking schedule can be found via "Contact Us" at theherrenproject.org

"Recovery is the best team I've ever been on." - Chris Herren, 3/28/17

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 03-31-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Of the 15 players on the Championship team, 7 became heroin addicts. Chris's clean date is 8/1/08 and he has devoted his life ever since to spreading the word and helping people find help in recovery.
Wow, such a waste of valuable talent and sadly a too common tale.

Thanks Jim, it's been a while since I have listened to a speaker but I will watch for him.