Exercise & Endorphins ---- Anxiety?

Old 03-04-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exercise & Endorphins ---- Anxiety?

I know that exercise produces endorphins (good for someone in recovery). My son has been riding his bike, a lot. And it's freezing here, but he's riding every day. At least it's a healthy way to get the feel good endorphins. He also has occasional sleep issues, which I think exercise can only help. I also think he's trying to keep busy and positive because he's having his Vivitrol on Monday. He's also going to 2 meetings each day for the past week.

But I'm wondering... he suffers from anxiety (but denies it) -- Does anyone know, will exercise help with anxiety? His anxiety manifests as pacing and he picks at his scar and bites his nails.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

CherryVanilla....exercise is great for anxiety.
Sometimes, people don't know if they have anxiety...because it is their "normal"
Same with depression.....
Does he have any symptoms of undiagnosed adhd? Lots of adults do, and don't know it....a lot of alcoholics drink to self medicate it.....
)I always ask this question, because it is so common and goes unidentified)
Old 03-04-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know what those symptoms would be, so I can't answer. He tells me that he told the doctor about his sleep issues, and that the doctor said he could prescribe something, but he didn't want that. In one way I'm glad he does not want a pill to solve a problem, because that's how he got into the mess he's in now.... but on the other hand, a pill from the doctor is different from, well you know. And I'm sure the doc who is going to administer vivitrol is not going to prescribe something that's addictive.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

CherryVanilla...you can google adult adhd and you will find many websites that give lists of common symptoms...
Old 03-04-2017, 09:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I did google and some reading. This doesn't seem to describe him, but thank you for the suggestion. If he ever allows me to speak with his doctor or therapist, I will ask them to think about it from a professional point of view, though.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Does anyone know, will exercise help with anxiety?
Oh my gosh. YES!

Both my parents got a cancer diagnosis within a year and a half. When I felt my anxiety crush me I would go out for a long run. If my thoughts got me angry I would end up running faster, and then I would feel happy that I had a faster running time. Positive feedback (in the form of times) purely based on effort - can't beat that.

I also think that having a training plan imposes a structure that you can rely on. When I was a young girl, and things were going ******* crazy, I would get on my bike every day and ride for twenty miles just to get out of the house. My abuser was still living with us, but I knew every day that I had twenty miles all to myself, and she could never find me.

And during those twenty miles, I didn't have to worry about yelling/screaming/my own anxiety. I just had to worry about making it up the next hill, going faster on a sprint, avoiding crazy drivers. Anxiety couldn't get at me - I was too busy trying to bike faster while staying alive.

That said, I would advise you just to let him lead on this one. If my parents had pushed me on biking, I would have resented it and most likely would have shut the whole thing down.

That said, for your reading pleasure...

Riding Is My Ritalin: How One Cyclist Gained Control Over His ADHD | Bicycling
Old 03-04-2017, 04:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

PuzzledHeart...thanks for that great article!
Old 03-04-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the response puzzledheart, I enjoyed that article as well