Holding onto Faith....

Old 02-20-2017, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Holding onto Faith....

Anyone who follows a specific faith or belief system feeling the tests of that versus addiction?
It is a difficult space to hold faith/prayers for someone knowing they need to have their own conscious decision to change and stop the destruction while we are letting go to let God.
SO hard to know there is so much human choice/will in the reality yet also holding hope they can be saved before the legal deadline.....all while moving forward in our own lives to take care of ourselves and hoping to not see divorce at the end.

Anyone else relate??
Old 02-21-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

SO hard to know there is so much human choice/will in the reality yet also holding hope they can be saved before the legal deadline

should prayers really have a deadline? isn't that more MY will, MY plan, than God's?

Dear HP, could you please hurry it up and intercede and CHANGE him, so that i don't have to follow through with the unpleasantries of divorce? oh and you only have until March 31st. thanks.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel your pain, Pseudo. It's not an easy thing to stay in the moment when the moment sucks and it full of pain and uncertainty.
Things happen in life that we won't ever understand. Why some people choose recovery and why some don't. Why some relationships get another chance and others don't. The list goes on and on. For myself, I had to learn to content myself with the idea that I'm probably never going to get the answers to my questions. For whatever reason God has decided that it's just none of my business. And as much as it hurts, I have to accept it, because if I don't, I'll drive myself insane. It's hard to have faith when it looks like there is no reason to have any. Like there isn't anyone or anything to hear your prayers. I've been there. Still am in a lot of ways. I empathize with all my heart. Prayers for you and your family.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dear Pseudowidow
My particular faith teaches that God will never violate a person's free will. However, we can commit others to his providential care and trust that he can set up a series of events that bring them to a place of surrender.

The other thing we can do, is trust "ourselves to the care of God", and make a decision to surrender ourselves to him on a daily basis.

I am sorry for your pain. This is one unhappy fact that most of us understand.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
There was a moment within the madness (one I won't recount here) that I felt compelled to turn things over to God. And I remember lying in bed looking at the ceiling saying aloud, OK, you've got my attention.

From that moment on, I've just rolled with whatever punches that come my way. Not that it was easy, because letting go is never easy. But there was something liberating about admitting that I didn't have control over something, and it freed me up to work on the things that I could do something about.

The reason why people don't let go is because of fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of not having a person we love in our life. Fear of a lot of thing. Letting go doesn't mean all that magically dissipates, because it doesn't. But what it does mean is there are just some things in this life we cannot affect. There are always going to be outcomes in this life we don't like. That's just how it is. That's the price we pay for being alive.

Generally speaking, letting go has worked out pretty well for me the past 5+ years. Maybe it'll work for you if you give it a go.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dear Zoso,
How inspiring my friend...an excellent post!
Thank you for the lesson on faith, I appreciated
it and I appreciate you! :
TF
Old 02-22-2017, 02:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I believe that God (or the Force, or the pattern) can influence human choice.

I believe that heart-ful prayer is influential.

Perhaps, without that prayer, things would be worse for them!

If we pray for their growing wisdom & well-being, I think we can't go wrong.

We all need growing wisdom & well-being...
Old 02-22-2017, 02:52 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There are degrees of well being, and it is not for us to assume what that means for any particular person...so there's no particular outcome...

I guess I'm saying that I think prayer is a powerful influence, but we can't be invested in what happens next. Just shoot good wishes out. Sparkly.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This. Anvil has hit a home run here.

I usto get so mad that I prayed and prayed for guidance from God thinking I was not getting that. Low and behold, he was guiding me the entire time, I was just not willing to see what he was telling me.

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
SO hard to know there is so much human choice/will in the reality yet also holding hope they can be saved before the legal deadline

should prayers really have a deadline? isn't that more MY will, MY plan, than God's?

Dear HP, could you please hurry it up and intercede and CHANGE him, so that i don't have to follow through with the unpleasantries of divorce? oh and you only have until March 31st. thanks.
You only have until March 31st....
Old 02-22-2017, 04:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

For me, I found faith as a result of what we're dealing with. I was a very lapsed catholic. But over the past year or so I have found a lot if comfort in prayer. During the day when I'm on the verge of melting down because of worry\stress I will quite literally think to myself that when I have alone quiet time later, I know that I can pray about it. Sometimes I listen to guided meditations on YouTube. So many of those that I listen to are about healing energy and the beauty in nature. They make me feel calmer.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I definitely wouldn't put deadline date on it, @anvilheadll, ...the state does. But I get what you're saying.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
Dear Pseudowidow
My particular faith teaches that God will never violate a person's free will. However, we can commit others to his providential care and trust that he can set up a series of events that bring them to a place of surrender.

The other thing we can do, is trust "ourselves to the care of God", and make a decision to surrender ourselves to him on a daily basis.

I am sorry for your pain. This is one unhappy fact that most of us understand.
I haven't ever heard this perspective of setting up events for surrender. I have definitely prayed for wise people in his path, but I like your thoughts. Thank you.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso77 View Post
There was a moment within the madness (one I won't recount here) that I felt compelled to turn things over to God. And I remember lying in bed looking at the ceiling saying aloud, OK, you've got my attention.

From that moment on, I've just rolled with whatever punches that come my way. Not that it was easy, because letting go is never easy. But there was something liberating about admitting that I didn't have control over something, and it freed me up to work on the things that I could do something about.

The reason why people don't let go is because of fear. Fear of the unknown. Fear of not having a person we love in our life. Fear of a lot of thing. Letting go doesn't mean all that magically dissipates, because it doesn't. But what it does mean is there are just some things in this life we cannot affect. There are always going to be outcomes in this life we don't like. That's just how it is. That's the price we pay for being alive.

Generally speaking, letting go has worked out pretty well for me the past 5+ years. Maybe it'll work for you if you give it a go.
Thank you. I have been working on complete surrender but your point is valid abd perhaps my rational brain seeing the deadline is still a piece of fear. I will keep trying.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CherryVanilla View Post
For me, I found faith as a result of what we're dealing with. I was a very lapsed catholic. But over the past year or so I have found a lot if comfort in prayer. During the day when I'm on the verge of melting down because of worry\stress I will quite literally think to myself that when I have alone quiet time later, I know that I can pray about it. Sometimes I listen to guided meditations on YouTube. So many of those that I listen to are about healing energy and the beauty in nature. They make me feel calmer.
Omg. Yes. I'd be lost without daily devotionals and meditation! Glad to hear someone else gets it.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heartcore View Post
I believe that God (or the Force, or the pattern) can influence human choice.

I believe that heart-ful prayer is influential.

Perhaps, without that prayer, things would be worse for them!

If we pray for their growing wisdom & well-being, I think we can't go wrong.

We all need growing wisdom & well-being...

Thank you! Definitely a perspective I hadnt thought of!!!! Brilliant.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PseudoWidow View Post
Omg. Yes. I'd be lost without daily devotionals and meditation! Glad to hear someone else gets it.
Totally get it! I've started going to a vipassina meditation class as well, . I'm thinking of trying yoga nidra next.