Vivitrol

Old 02-19-2017, 08:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vivitrol

Late last week, my son had his first appointment with a doctor to begin the vivitrol program. They're ordering his injection and will call him to let him schedule for first shot this coming week.

I am so excited, proud that he's doing this proactively as a decision he reached between himself and his IOP therapist, and he informed us after his decision was made. She's gotten insurance to give him additional IOP sessions so she can keep in close contact with him at least through the first injection, then insurance may insist that he stepdown to OP (1x/week tx). I know this is not a magic bullet, but he's so determined and being so strong.

He's opening up more. I've stopped asking about IOP, and now he's started telling me about the sessions! Plus he's going to NA/AA Meetings every day, something he's always done, but he's never really tried to work the steps, though his sponsor of course tried to get him to work on this. Now he's trying. He's said he's struggling, but is learning. Spending a lot of time with family and a couple of sober friends. Riding his bike. Meditating. He's been on a couple of job interviews and is getting ready to do some painting at our house.

I think a huge difference in this recovery is that he does not have his own car. His car needed very expensive repairs and it was not a wise investment, so we donated it and now he's sharing with me and my husband, which cuts down on where/when he can go out. At first I thought it was going to be very difficult to share two cars three ways, but sharing is working out well, barely an inconvenience for any of us. Mot importantly, I think that has helped him to settle down and not be impulsive.

Everyday I wake up full of hope that it will be another "good" day and every night I got to bed thankful that it was. I'm praying this continues. And I'm praying for you and yours, too.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

That's such good news, CherryVanilla, he's doing the "do" things and his actions show that he is working his recovery.

I can hear the relief in your voice, as a mama I know the feeling.

Your son is in my prayers too.

Hugs
Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update! Recovery looks like recovery. Our hearts testify to the honesty and the actions we see them taking!
TT
Old 02-22-2017, 04:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sorry I double posted. Trying to delete one

Last edited by CherryVanilla; 02-22-2017 at 04:50 PM. Reason: i posted same twice
Old 02-22-2017, 04:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

First shot the day after tomorrow!!!! Doc's office will call son tomorrow to confirm and schedule him the time to go to office. This has been a long time coming ( maybe another time I will feel up to explaining the delay scenario)... But now he's doing it and it starts at a perfect time. His IOP is just about over which means he will have to resume probation appointments, and i think this is a positive development in his recovery.
He
has been going to the 12 step meetingsbut struggling greatly with "higher power" but went to a completely different NA group yesterday which was quite small and someone there related to his struggle and they hd a long, enlightening conversation.

Thank you to anyone whose reading my posts. I don't comment on everyone's stories but I read as many as I can and I hold you all in my heart and prayers.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Cherry - you know my story with my daughter. She got a real, actual job today which required drug testing. Passed with flying colors (how crazy is that?!). Her first "jobby-job" ever! Yaay!!

I feel elated & so happy for her!

Addiction can re-emerge, but I do think it is important & ok to celebrate & be happy when recovery is happening.

Just don't stop building your own life & joys, & doing your own work. I share your optimism today. Standing right next to you. Just witnessing, trying not to attach to her success any more than her struggles, but still feeling her pride & power inside the changes she's making...and enjoying the moment of witnessing that.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

'Just don't stop building your own life & joys, & doing your own work. I share your optimism today. Standing right next to you. Just witnessing, trying not to attach to her success any more than her struggles, but still feeling her pride & power inside the changes she's making...and enjoying the moment of witnessing that. ''

Thank you so much Heartcore for this amazing thought! I am right here too with JJ. He is doing good, paying his way and it is still hard to not fear tomorrow!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Keep us posted about the shot and the effects and outcomes. my son too has done some research on the shot and has tried to work with insurance to cover it. Love to hear it works So happy you feel relief and as lovemysonjj don't forget to take care of you!!!
Old 02-23-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Temporary setback. His first appointment was last Friday, and they said "about a week" until he'd have his injection. Naturally to me, that was carved in stone 100% it was going to happen tomorrow. However, he found out today, it will be early next week, not tomorrow. I will definitely keep you posted, and thanks for the support!
Old 02-24-2017, 07:09 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am just like this! When someone says a week or so, in my mind that means 7 days and not a second more LOL.

Hugs to you! Keep the patience!
Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Nothing's easy. He went for his appointment with the MD two weeks ago, and was to have the shot within a week. Delay delay. Finally today, they told him Monday morning, and he has an appointment! yay!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Update--- after delays and confusion.... my son had his first injection today!! I cannot begin to describe the flood of relief that filled my body that this has happened. Yes, he appears drug free, he's going to meetings, etc. Those were all his commitments to recovery, but so was taking this medically assisted route, and now he's done it. I am so freaking incredibly proud of him!
Old 03-13-2017, 09:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is great news Cherry!

Hugs to you and your son, I hope he has committed to this and continues to live a clean life.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Update for those who asked:

Son had his first injection on Monday morning. He was fine: no pain, no complaints. We had a huge snowfall on Tuesday; he shoveled snow for hours. He's been in a good mood all week.

Possible side effects of the injection include: Nausea, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, anxiety, tiredness, loss of appetite.

If you're not clean for approximately 10-14 days prior to injection, you may experience precipitated opiate withdrawal with severe abdominal cramps, bone/joint pain, muscle aches, nausea, chills, insomnia....
Old 03-21-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just thought I would add one more piece of information, then I'll probably stop updating. My son received an EOB from insurance today. He does NOT have great insurance... they were very stingy with what they'd allow for in-patient, for instance, and he has zero out-of-network coverage, etc. But but but!!!!! he already met his $500 deductible for the year, so they paid for $1200+ of the $1400 price for the vivitrol!!!! So it's working out to be a $125-ish coinsurance fee to him per month plus his $5 copay for the doctor! Plus, most important, he reports that he still feels great, no side effects, and very very motivated!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for the update!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

That's great Cherry! I love to hear when people are doing well, especially our children, grown or not!
Old 03-22-2017, 11:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

i hope this terrific trend in recovery and optimism continues!!!