SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   Any experience in getting rid of arrest photos? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/403974-any-experience-getting-rid-arrest-photos.html)

KariSue 01-27-2017 08:18 AM

Any experience in getting rid of arrest photos?

My dear son passed away from a drug overdose in April, 2016. At the time of his death, he was on probation for cocaine possession. He had been arrested more than once over the years. When I type his name into Google, an arrest picture from 2013 pops up. I guess that is his last arrest as he only had a few months till his 3 year probation was over.

I would love for that picture to be gone from the internet. When I click on where it says 'Do you want this photo removed?' it comes up with a site that wants to charge me to take it down. I've heard these sites are scams.

Does anyone know where I would even start to find out how to get this removed from the internet? Is it possible? I am not internet saavy so don't really know how to approach this.

Thanks, Kari

Ariesagain 01-27-2017 08:32 AM

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss.

I'm no kind of internet expert, but I do enough trash reading on news sites to know that even celebrities with PR firms, lawyers, and big bucks can't get photos removed from the internet. The internet really is forever, unfortunately.

Those who knew and loved your son know there was much more to him than one photo and those who didn't know him probably won't search and their opinions don't matter anyway.

My deepest sympathies to you.

hopepraylove 01-27-2017 09:42 AM

sending love and prayers your way. So sorry for your loss, I second what Aries says: "Those who knew and loved your son know there was much more to him than one photo and those who didn't know him probably won't search and their opinions don't matter anyway."

dandylion 01-27-2017 10:00 AM

KariSue....I am a novice, also...but, I, too am wondering that if there is a specific website....maybe you CAN get it removed.
I am thinking that an arrest photo is put up by the judicial system...?
then, maybe, there is a mechanism by which it can be removed.....
I think that you could use some advice from someone with real computer experience.....

Misc72 01-27-2017 10:02 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. It is a tragedy. My mugshot was also online and I did have to click the link listed and paid $80 and it did work. So I suppose there are scammers but I was willing to try it to get my mugshot of the internet. Good luck to you.

KariSue 01-27-2017 10:12 AM

Do you happen to remember the name of the place?

KariSue 01-27-2017 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by dandylion (Post 6309313)
KariSue....I am a novice, also...but, I, too am wondering that if there is a specific website....maybe you CAN get it removed.
I am thinking that an arrest photo is put up by the judicial system...?
then, maybe, there is a mechanism by which it can be removed.....
I think that you could use some advice from someone with real computer experience.....

That's what I was thinking. I'll have to find some computer whizzes I guess.

KariSue 01-27-2017 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ariesagain (Post 6309263)
I'm so terribly sorry for your loss.

I'm no kind of internet expert, but I do enough trash reading on news sites to know that even celebrities with PR firms, lawyers, and big bucks can't get photos removed from the internet. The internet really is forever, unfortunately.

Those who knew and loved your son know there was much more to him than one photo and those who didn't know him probably won't search and their opinions don't matter anyway.

My deepest sympathies to you.

My main concern are his two children ages 11 and 16. We figured they would have enough to deal with for at least this year without knowing their dad was an addict. We do plan to tell them in the future when we feel it is the right time. In the meantime, I'd hate for them to find out by accident. I don't really think either of them are really on the computer much at all anyway but it just kind of bugs me.

Jaeger 01-27-2017 04:09 PM

KariSue,

I say this with the utmost respect but at their age, 11 and 16, I'm sure they already know and have more than likely seen the picture. I know my kid st that age most certainly would have and neither of them had smartphone.

Jaeger

KariSue 01-27-2017 10:27 PM

Well I'm not up for this thread in the direction it is going. So if anyone has any experience with getting rid of the photo, I'd be grateful for your input.

darkling 01-31-2017 05:04 PM

It is not possible to totally remove something from the internet.
Anyone who says they can is lying - especially if money is involved!

You can try contacting the webmaster of the host site and see if they can/will help. But I'm pretty sure it won't get you anywhere. Especially not if it's on any kind of law enforcement site.

KariSue, you're welcome to PM me and share the details of the pic's location and I can give you more of an idea of what you're up against . . . Sorry :**

PuzzledHeart 01-31-2017 06:09 PM

Unfortunately, even if you did successfully remove the picture from the original website, there are sites such as Wayback Machine which essentially serve as web page museums. I was able to access a version of my company's website from 2001 in five seconds.

And unfortunately, an image is just one of many ways kids can find out about the past. I know somebody who found out through a flippant remark offline that her mother committed suicide (as opposed to an actual accident). The death had happened decades ago and it still tore her heart out.

You will soon need to figure out a response when your son's children find out. It is infinitely better that they find out from you rather than a website or a stranger. You can't erase the past, but you can help your son's children work through it.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Hechosedrugs 02-01-2017 10:31 AM

I'm so sorry, Karisue. It does seem so unfair. It's something past generations didn't have to worry about. I love this forum and a handful of others, and in some ways the internet has been a great convenience (some not). But I do think we've lost more than we've gained by this technology in a lot of ways, and privacy is definitely at the top of the list.

I think that others may be right that removing these photos may not be possible, but I hope if there is a way that you find it.

Blessings to you.

hopepraylove 02-01-2017 10:43 AM

I just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss and that I hope you can find a solution that brings you peace. I don't see you asking for advice on anything other than your original question and I wish I had an answer for you.

But, I wanted you to know that I am praying for you and praying for the children and for them to find compassion in their hearts should the time come that this needs to be addressed.

Hugs.

SeaOfSerenity 02-01-2017 10:53 AM

https://support.google.com/websearch.../4628134?hl=en

Google must delete your data if you ask, EU rules - Telegraph

hopeful4 02-02-2017 08:43 AM

So sorry for your loss and pain.

Sending hugs.