Need advice with Addict Boyfriend..

Old 01-28-2017, 08:50 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Today I decided to reach out to his recent ex sponsor. He confirmed without actually saying that he is in fact using again. I'm so sad to actually know this information, but at the same time I feel freer knowing the truth. It really helps me understand why he's done these things to me recently. The cheating, lying and stealing. Now time to heal.
Old 01-28-2017, 03:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

i hope in the future if someone lies to you, cheats, steals, you won't need to find out WHY, you will simply run the other way and leave them in your dust.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I have to admit this has been tough. He's not in a goood place and is begging to see me. How sorry he is and how well he doesn't feel. I know he has no one in his life to help him, including his own family. Even after everything he's done, I'm a natural care giver and it's so hard to deny him help. I'm doing the right thing by being cold and refusing to help?
Old 02-07-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

He's choosing to drown. Your only choice is whether you let him take you down with him...or choose to move on with a life free from the insanity of addiction.

Please, please stay away, far, far away, and read everything you can on codependency and all of the threads here from really wonderful people whose lives have been destroyed by trying to love an addict into recovery.

It's bad enough he's using...his crimes take it to another level of danger for you.

There are plenty of resources for him to get help that don't involve holding your life hostage.

Just don't.

ETA: Go back and read your first post and pretend you're hearing this story from a friend...20 year addiction, identity theft, cheating, parents finally giving up, trying to police his drug use...wouldn't you tell her to RUN!!? You haven't even been in this relationship for a year?

RUN.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You know how on airplanes they tell you to put the oxygen mask on yourself first before trying to help your children, etc?
[Because if you pass out, who's going to help them?!]

This is like that. Until you get yourself healthy, you really don't have anything to give to anyone else. I've always been a care-taker too. As good as my intentions were, they've never helped another addict to get well. As sad and hard as it sounds, I think the best thing you can do for him is to stay away and let him hit bottom. Funny coincidence, that's the best thing you can do for yourself as well.

Taking care of YOU is the most important thing.

When I can't decide which way to go, I remind myself that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
He's choosing to drown. Your only choice is whether you let him take you down with him...or choose to move on with a life free from the insanity of addiction.

Please, please stay away, far, far away, and read everything you can on codependency and all of the threads here from really wonderful people whose lives have been destroyed by trying to love an addict into recovery.

It's bad enough he's using...his crimes take it to another level of danger for you.

There are plenty of resources for him to get help that don't involve holding your life hostage.

Just don't.

ETA: Go back and read your first post and pretend you're hearing this story from a friend...20 year addiction, identity theft, cheating, parents finally giving up, trying to police his drug use...wouldn't you tell her to RUN!!? You haven't even been in this relationship for a year?

RUN.
Holding my life hostage, that's very well put. That's exactly how it feels. The funny thing is, I've never considered myself to ever be codependent. Been single the majority of my adult life, but this guy. I swear, this guy has some sort of hold on me. While I know it's completely insane, as I was telling a friend the exact same thing you suggested. Had I heard this same story from a friend, I'd most definitely tell her to run! I'm guessing it's some sort of dysfunctional manipulation that's he's worked over me quite well. I wonder if anyone else felt the same? I guess it's also because I've never known anyone who's an addict before. My brain and heart doesn't know how to handle it. I've laid out a plan for him of what he can do to fix this. I'm a fixer. But he either shuts it down or lies and says he'll do it, but never does. I know I can't fix him and having him possibly die when he's begging me to see him to help, tears at my heart strings. But I did say no, I ultimately know it won't be good. Just can't seem to break away from this feeling of saddeness and stress. I'm working on it though! I have blocked him from every social media as well as his phone number and email. Though somehow I'm still getting emails from him. Told him to please let me heal and stop contacting me.. I'm hoping he'll give up soon.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by darkling View Post
You know how on airplanes they tell you to put the oxygen mask on yourself first before trying to help your children, etc?
[Because if you pass out, who's going to help them?!]

This is like that. Until you get yourself healthy, you really don't have anything to give to anyone else. I've always been a care-taker too. As good as my intentions were, they've never helped another addict to get well. As sad and hard as it sounds, I think the best thing you can do for him is to stay away and let him hit bottom. Funny coincidence, that's the best thing you can do for yourself as well.

Taking care of YOU is the most important thing.

When I can't decide which way to go, I remind myself that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Thank you so much for your advice, it's very helpful, especially since it sounds like you've been here before as well.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Yeah, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Sad thing is, it's where I find myself right now too.
I'd tell every and any one else who found themself in my weird situation to
Really, saying these things to others in similar situations makes me look at what I am doing: the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. [aka: Insanity.]

You sharing your story helps me more than you realize. Thank you!
Old 02-08-2017, 04:14 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Good for you! You're doing all the right things for both of you, actually, as hard as it seems. As long as he can use you as his shield, he can avoid the consequences for a while longer. No contact is the best way through.

His next move is likely to be to find a new girlfriend in a bar somewhere and throw that it in your face, trying to manipulate you through jealousy. Be ready?

Just remember...his father stood by him for 20 years. The fact that he now has "no one in his life to help him" is because of how he treated those who tried for two decades.

It's not your responsibility to clean up his mess.

P.S. Everyone who has loved an addict has felt brainwashed. They're masters at that...because they have to be.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:20 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ariesagain View Post
Good for you! You're doing all the right things for both of you, actually, as hard as it seems. As long as he can use you as his shield, he can avoid the consequences for a while longer. No contact is the best way through.

His next move is likely to be to find a new girlfriend in a bar somewhere and throw that it in your face, trying to manipulate you through jealousy. Be ready?

Just remember...his father stood by him for 20 years. The fact that he now has "no one in his life to help him" is because of how he treated those who tried for two decades.

It's not your responsibility to clean up his mess.

P.S. Everyone who has loved an addict has felt brainwashed. They're masters at that...because they have to be.
Yeah, I figured his next move would either be more sweet words and manipulation to get me to come around or just moving on to find the next woman who will give him the attention and comfort he wants. But I guess what I'm confused about is, the last I spoke with him, he said he's not on anything other than pain pills he takes for his back. Which doesn't make sense to me, since recently we spoke and I told him, "you know I know what you're doing. And you're aware this will kill you, yes?" His response was yes, I know. It will if I don't make a change." That doesn't indicate "just pain pills. His vice has always been coke and pills. Even his sponsor agrees that he's back on the junk. This is what I'm talking about. The mind-f*ckery that is him. All I know is he's acting very bizarre the last couple of months and can't believe it's all because of pain pills.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:23 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by darkling View Post
Yeah, been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Sad thing is, it's where I find myself right now too.
I'd tell every and any one else who found themself in my weird situation to
Really, saying these things to others in similar situations makes me look at what I am doing: the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. [aka: Insanity.]

You sharing your story helps me more than you realize. Thank you!
I'm so glad to hear my story actually has helped someone! Never thought that would be the case. It's tough, no doubt. All I want to do is see him, have him say the right words to comfort me and make me feel like he'll be ok, and I do the same for him. But I know that feeling will only be temporary. He'll feel better and I the same, just for the moment.. then I know he'll just go home and use. I feel tough love really will help push him to the bottom, where he needs to be. And since he has no one in his life outside of me, I'm hoping this really will do the trick.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Originally Posted by Brooklynd77 View Post
I have to admit this has been tough. He's not in a goood place and is begging to see me. How sorry he is and how well he doesn't feel. I know he has no one in his life to help him, including his own family. Even after everything he's done, I'm a natural care giver and it's so hard to deny him help. I'm doing the right thing by being cold and refusing to help?
I think you're doing the right thing by allowing him to own the consequences of his decisions. Where we are at any given moment in life is directly attributable to the aggregate sum of our decisions. And it is necessary for all of us to own the consequences of our decisions.

In addition to this, the price you'd pay for coming to his rescue would be ginormous. And you've already paid a big price.

This doesn't mean that you don't care for him, or want the best for him. What it does mean is you've accepted that he cannot be helped unless he turns things around. There is no evidence that he wants to.

Take care of you.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

But I guess what I'm confused about is, the last I spoke with him, he said he's not on anything other than pain pills he takes for his back.

well, first, you are assuming he is telling you the truth. pretty sure he's proven the fallacy of that approach, right? also many times addicts conveniently leave off parts of sentences or statements - like the joke:

I don't do drugs anymore.

Or any less.

sweets, you could analyze every word he has ever said, look for hidden meaning, try to crack the code and divine the secrets, and you'd just be wasting your time.

All I want to do is see him, have him say the right words to comfort me and make me feel like he'll be ok, and I do the same for him. But I know that feeling will only be temporary. He'll feel better and I the same, just for the moment.. then I know he'll just go home and use. I feel tough love really will help push him to the bottom, where he needs to be. And since he has no one in his life outside of me, I'm hoping this really will do the trick.

we cannot expect those that HURT us to also HEAL us.
to some degree, you are wanting to use HIM to make YOU feel OK. like he's YOUR pill, or hit, or swig or toke.

you are NOT in control of his destiny and you do not have the POWER to push him to his bottom. it doesn't work that way. in many ways "the bottom" is a myth - there's just this turning point for SOME addicts, like finding the end of a tunnel bricked off. many addicts keep , but some turn around and start trying to find their way out. and NO ONE can do that FOR them.

i know it feels good to tell yourself "i'm the only he has" - it gives you a sense of purpose, of power, and hero-ship. but trust me, you are NOT the only person in his life. he has people from meetings, his "ex" sponsor for starters. he has the people he gets drugs from. also probably other "people" that he has hidden from you. he HAS family.

but you are not standing there with the cooler holding his new lung, offering his only hope for life.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

This relationship will only lead to misery. It's not your job to save him, nor could you even if you wanted. That's the hard truth. Stay with him and he will drag you down and you will drown along with him. It sound harsh, but it's the truth. Run as fast as you can. Don't listen to his sob stories. He's an addict. That's what we do.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:47 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
But I guess what I'm confused about is, the last I spoke with him, he said he's not on anything other than pain pills he takes for his back.

well, first, you are assuming he is telling you the truth. pretty sure he's proven the fallacy of that approach, right? also many times addicts conveniently leave off parts of sentences or statements - like the joke:

I don't do drugs anymore.

Or any less.

sweets, you could analyze every word he has ever said, look for hidden meaning, try to crack the code and divine the secrets, and you'd just be wasting your time.

All I want to do is see him, have him say the right words to comfort me and make me feel like he'll be ok, and I do the same for him. But I know that feeling will only be temporary. He'll feel better and I the same, just for the moment.. then I know he'll just go home and use. I feel tough love really will help push him to the bottom, where he needs to be. And since he has no one in his life outside of me, I'm hoping this really will do the trick.

we cannot expect those that HURT us to also HEAL us.
to some degree, you are wanting to use HIM to make YOU feel OK. like he's YOUR pill, or hit, or swig or toke.

you are NOT in control of his destiny and you do not have the POWER to push him to his bottom. it doesn't work that way. in many ways "the bottom" is a myth - there's just this turning point for SOME addicts, like finding the end of a tunnel bricked off. many addicts keep , but some turn around and start trying to find their way out. and NO ONE can do that FOR them.

i know it feels good to tell yourself "i'm the only he has" - it gives you a sense of purpose, of power, and hero-ship. but trust me, you are NOT the only person in his life. he has people from meetings, his "ex" sponsor for starters. he has the people he gets drugs from. also probably other "people" that he has hidden from you. he HAS family.

but you are not standing there with the cooler holding his new lung, offering his only hope for life.
Yes, I agree and see this now. I hear that mood swings are an indicator of using cocaine. Here I thought maybe he was reaching his "bottom", but his tune has changed once again.. it's almost like he's a different person from the previous night, begging for help and to see me. The next night he didn't even seem to remember saying it. So, I'm done and wish him the best. It's so weird. In my eyes, it's like seeing the walking dead. He's alive and there, but he's not alive and there.
Old 02-09-2017, 07:48 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewRomanMan View Post
This relationship will only lead to misery. It's not your job to save him, nor could you even if you wanted. That's the hard truth. Stay with him and he will drag you down and you will drown along with him. It sound harsh, but it's the truth. Run as fast as you can. Don't listen to his sob stories. He's an addict. That's what we do.
I agree with you and thank you for your advice.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

As I'm finally starting to find my way out of the clouds, his ex girlfriend messages me letting me know she is pregnant and that he cheated on me while we were together. And the hurt has started all over again. As I've blocked him completely from my life, and her as soon as I got that message, I'm finding it so hard to deal with even more of this pain. I'm in disbelief and I'm not sure why. He was capable of of doing everything else, so why not this?
Old 02-20-2017, 09:38 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

He doesn't care who he hurts.

I know that for me, being deceived is the worst kind of pain, because I always feel like I should have known better. But clearly this guy is really really good at conning people.

Poor her...now she's pregnant with his child and will be either raising the baby by herself with no help from him or will waste years of her life trying to remake him into a responsible parent.

At least you can walk away without that.

Now block her. You're going to be okay.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Oh I am sure he is sorry. Sorry he is dope sick (you realize that's why he is not feeling well right), sorry he is out of money, and of course, and sorry he cannot manipulate you.

What would you tell your daughter or best friend if you had them coming to you in this same situation. I find if you follow that advise yourself, it will likely lead you down the right path.

YOU DESERVE MORE.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

She is blocked, but unfortunately one of my friends decided to look at her Facebook page and saw her sonogram post, saying how things always work out as they should have. Throughout our entire relationship somehow she got my number and she was texting me, trying to ruin our relationship, and now she's just gloating. I could never understand why she couldn't just move on. So, she waited until she had a chance to swoop in, when he was using and at his worst, to meet up with him, sleep with him and trap him with this pregnancy. But, now I'm happy to be free of him and that he's not my responsibility any longer.
To make myself feel better, I wrote out a letter to her that I will never send. For some reason I feel like sharing it with you guys..

I'm sorry, but when have I ever wanted to converse with you? Have I ever responded to anything you've sent me? You've been texting me so often that I almost saw fit to go talk to the police about harassment charges. Especially, seeing how creepy it was that you even had access to my phone number, much less the gall to actually use it as often as you did. I honestly just felt embarrassed for you.
I'll save you the trouble in telling me he's cheated on me with you and how you're pregnant. Yes, I'm very aware. How proud you must be! And I have to say, what a role model you must be for your daughter! Sleeping with a taken man in his parked car with no protection! Very classy indeed!
So, yes go ahead and rub it in my face - you've definitely won! You've won a baby daddy who's an addict. Not just with drugs but also with women - not to mention one who spends $1000's on porn as well. You've won a baby daddy who lies, steals and commits fraud with your money and credit cards as well as your neighbors. Oh and don't forget, cheats! If you don't think he'll do this to you, then you're one of those pathetic women I pity.
So, congratulations on being bound to this man for the next 18 years.
A man who will drive you completely insane as he did me. A man who will sneak out to do drugs when you're in the shower, who will step outside to smoke to but really is texting some random girl back. A man who will j***off to porn all day while you're at work. A man who will run to get smokes but really is running to the pawn shop to sell your precious item to get money for more drugs and porn. A man who will never have child support because he's too busy buying said items above. Ultimately, a man who doesn't love himself and could never love anyone else because of this fact.
So, take pride in the fact that, yes, you finally won this battle! Congratulations, Take care!