Watching the miracle

Old 01-21-2017, 06:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Watching the miracle

Last night my wife and I took two recovering addicts / alcoholics to the rehab where our daughter first found her sobriety almost 3 years ago.

One fellow, JT, has 15 years clean & sober, the other, JS, has 2-1/2 years. JT & JS help run a number of recovery houses in the Philadelphia area. These houses take in people fresh out of rehab who have no where else to go and no money to go anywhere - many would be homeless by necessity and probably quickly relapse if left to their own devices.

JT & JS take these folks in and give their lives structure and teach the life skills that so many addicts / alcoholics lack. The residents transition through 3 levels of housing , structure and care. Jobs, financial problems, criminal problems are all addressed in a no BS manner.

Men, women, addicts, alcoholics - they don't discriminate.

JS was a penniless alcoholic / addict with a fresh prison record when by the grace of God he found the program - that was 2-1/2 years ago.

My wife and I have heard JS speak twice, both at Nar-anon anniversary meetings, but never to an addict / alcoholic audience. He was very good both times and we had arranged for him to speak at the rehab.

JS was on the rehab docket as the keynote speaker for the Friday night AA/NA meeting at the rehab.

The meeting opened up with roll call and various readings - 12 steps, traditions, concepts and the AA promises. The crowd of about 60 had the somewhat typical rehab look - you know the one - "do I really have to be here, I just wanna go to sleep" look and posture.

JT spoke briefly about his experience with AA and quickly introduced JS.

There was a podium at the front of the room with a microphone, JS was uncomfortable behind it - he managed to make his intro of "My name is J and I am an alcoholic and addict." and promptly moved out from behind the podium and paced across the front of the room until he found his comfort zone in the center aisle. Back and forth, looking left and right, calling out questions to the audience and looking for a show of hands, continuous motion, singling out people in the crowd - within 10 minutes he had everyone fully engaged, awake with all attention riveted on him and his message. It was poetry in motion complete with a message.

He told his own story of alcohol and drugs in his own "Nu Yawk", in-your-face, no holds barred style. He spoke of all the stealing and lying to get what he needed to the knowing nods of the audience. The endless cycle of stealing, copping, using and self loathing. He said that in rehab, he was the tough guy and then confessed that all of the rehab tough guys are scared to death and the tough guy facade is erected to hide that.

His message really revolved around this simple observation and problem which faced everyone in the audience -- you are in this beautiful rehab and you are getting clean - it feels so good - what is your plan to stay clean when your 28 days are up? Once he had the audience focused on that question - he simply laid out what he did and what has worked for so many others -- finding and surrendering to a Higher power, and religiously working the programs of NA & AA.

During his talk one woman in the front row was overtaken by her emotions and began to cry - in typical recovery community fashion, tissues were hastily found and nearby people lent comforting hands onto her shoulders. I have seen it happen before in 12 step meetings and it never ceases to restore my faith in humanity.

With 15 minutes left in the allotted time, he said - "That's all I've got. Would anyone else like to share?" and sat down on the edge of the stage at the front of the room. No one lead off - back on his feet - "Nu Yawk" style, "What, you don't share at these meetings - well we're sharing tonight!" and sat back down. 10 seconds or so of awkward silence and a woman broke the ice - that opened the flood gates and easily filled the remaining time before rehab curfew.

I managed to capture the floor for a minute to tell the audience that their families were worried and crying, that they needed help also and could find it in the rooms of Nar-Anon or Al-anon, and that there was a bright future ahead for them if they would just follow JS's advice and keep working the program. Recovery is the most important job they have.

JS closed the meeting with the loudest recital of the Serenity Prayer I have ever heard followed by enthusiastic applause.

A line quickly formed up to thank JS for his words and to trade hugs. It is awesome to witness his maturation as a speaker, he has "it" whatever that intangible "it" is. If not already, he will soon be a "convention grade" speaker. It is really a privilege to be along for the ride!

Keep coming back, it works if you work it!

Jim
Old 01-21-2017, 08:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thanks, Jim!!
Old 01-21-2017, 12:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

With all the step work and rehab training of life skills, the most powerful recovery tools I have ever see have been speakers like the man you describe, Jim.

When other addicts and alcoholics "hear" someone else relate their own life story of going to hell and back again...that can inspire the "if they can do it, I can do it" train of thought and make a big difference.

Thank you for sharing this story, Jim. God bless these two people for all they do to carry the message of hope as living examples of how it works.

Hugs