SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Friends and Family of Substance Abusers (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/)
-   -   1.5 years later (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/friends-family-substance-abusers/402171-1-5-years-later.html)

hopepraylove 12-21-2016 08:55 AM

1.5 years later

I wanted to share a brief update with you all on where I'm at in my "recovery."

I left a very toxic relationship with a heroin addict over a year and a half ago. I found Al Anon and this forum to be a solace and outlet. I was deeply moved and motivated to make my life better. I struggled with codependency, insecurity and horrible insomnia. I was depressed, anxious and ready to change my life--so I did.

A year and a half later, I'm the happiest I've ever been. I am living with my boyfriend (J) in a beautiful apartment. I received a large raise at work for bustin' my butt this year (no more sleepless nights or distractions to prevent me from doing it!) I've lost the extra weight I put on from stress. I'm back to doing yoga and walking every week. My friendships and relationships with my family are dramatically better. Life is really, really good.

What I wanted to share mostly is that I'm going back to school to get my Masters in Social Work (or Psych). Today I signed up for classes at a local community college to get some pre-reqs out of the way. But, I'm beyond excited (and a little nervous) for this career change. I've been working in Marketing for the last 5 years, but I truly feel this is my calling.

If the experience taught me anything, it's to trust my gut. So, that's what I'm doing, I'm taking a leap of faith and listening to my gut!

Hope everyone is well. This forum helped me so much while I was struggling with my ex. Although I don't post often, I do check in and read up on how everyone is doing.

Lots of love,
L

zoso77 12-21-2016 09:18 AM

Atta girl. So good to read this.

Happy Holidays!

:nanarock

hopepraylove 12-21-2016 09:26 AM

Thank you Zoso! :tyou

Needabreak 12-21-2016 09:44 AM

You're doing great! It's so nice once we move past all their crap and get ourselves back, isn't it?

Ilovemysonjj 12-21-2016 09:56 AM

Wonderful update! Keep moving forward!
TT

Ariesagain 12-21-2016 10:44 AM

:dance4:

Sodevastated 12-21-2016 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by hopepraylove (Post 6254395)
I wanted to share a brief update with you all on where I'm at in my "recovery."

I left a very toxic relationship with a heroin addict over a year and a half ago. I found Al Anon and this forum to be a solace and outlet. I was deeply moved and motivated to make my life better. I struggled with codependency, insecurity and horrible insomnia. I was depressed, anxious and ready to change my life--so I did.

A year and a half later, I'm the happiest I've ever been. I am living with my boyfriend (J) in a beautiful apartment. I received a large raise at work for bustin' my butt this year (no more sleepless nights or distractions to prevent me from doing it!) I've lost the extra weight I put on from stress. I'm back to doing yoga and walking every week. My friendships and relationships with my family are dramatically better. Life is really, really good.

What I wanted to share mostly is that I'm going back to school to get my Masters in Social Work (or Psych). Today I signed up for classes at a local community college to get some pre-reqs out of the way. But, I'm beyond excited (and a little nervous) for this career change. I've been working in Marketing for the last 5 years, but I truly feel this is my calling.

If the experience taught me anything, it's to trust my gut. So, that's what I'm doing, I'm taking a leap of faith and listening to my gut!

Hope everyone is well. This forum helped me so much while I was struggling with my ex. Although I don't post often, I do check in and read up on how everyone is doing.

Lots of love,
L

Oh how great to hear that! I'm so happy for you. These kind of posts help me in trying to keep up the spirit in my misery. Thank you

AnvilheadII 12-21-2016 03:43 PM

what a fabulous update on your fabulous life! it was always there....just waiting til you were ready. and now look at you go! BRAVO!

Ann 12-21-2016 04:46 PM

What Anvil said....and a special thank you for coming here and sharing your story and your light. It's stories like this that bring hope to those lost in the darkness today. Life doesn't have to be miserable, we CAN make the changes we need to live the life we want.

Bravo and Merry Christmas! May 2017 be your best year ever!

Hugs

Beachbum09 12-22-2016 07:29 AM

How amazing for you!! I recently got dumped by an addict who made me feel insecure and not good enough. I am so happy you found that you ARE good enough and how greatly and positively your life has changed since moving on!