Please Help Son in detox again

Old 12-30-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

son asked to be relocated to a facility that has extended care with support in place for a year. I am so thankful at the moment for a opportunity like this for him. Praying daily and thankful for the moment that he agrees and gets on that plane..........................thanks for reading
Old 12-30-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sending prayers for you and your son. Also, best wishes for a healthy and safe new year.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank the Lord! Praying for you and your son in taking this step towards sobriety!
Old 12-30-2016, 02:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thank you all and loving prayers and hugs back, I know he has to want it and it is his fight but to acknowledge its not working where he currently lives and to sy he wants longterm help to me is a moment I am going to take ! I am thankful that he has the courage. the only reason he wanted to say know was because everyone would know it want badly again. The shame part of this disease is intense. I pray this is the place that he is going to take it on like its his job to live! Thanks again
Old 01-02-2017, 11:50 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Quick update, son agreed on location so intervention, even though over the phone, agreed.... his father read him what would be considered an obituary , had us all crying including my son didn't know he was gonna do that but it must have hit home to how scared we all are and don't want to lose him. I am hopeful it occurs now. Had to wait thru holiday weekend to get the authorization to new center so I pray were not to late and he doesn't change his mind. thanks for listening
Old 01-03-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Again,

Is your son on his way? Or still waiting for authorization?

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 01-03-2017, 05:53 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Well now seems like Hazeldon is backing out they think he doesn't need anymore inpatient so extensive out patient and sober living Their sober living is 5K a month Has anyone ever heard of numbers like this? Just curious because I have not ever.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:55 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Again,

I figured Hazelden was going to be pricey, but not quite that pricey......
$5K per month for IOP and sober living.......

That sounds pretty steep to me also. Although my daughter lived in a halfway house in south Florida for about a year which was $ 900. per month for room only, no food or IOP included.

She now lives in a 3/4 house still in south Florida for the bargain rate of
$ 700. per month - still no food or IOP included.

Financial suggestion - find an IOP with an Oxford House nearby?

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 01-04-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Thanks jim great suggestions ! I appreciate your input !
Old 01-04-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Again,

I don't know how familiar you are with the Oxford House organization. They are very big / popular here in Delaware - my tiny little state has 63 houses - most of them in my county.

Nationwide there are about 2,000 houses with 16,000 beds. They are democratically run, sober living houses which self govern and share the expenses of the house - rent is typically $90. to about $150. per week.

They seem to be most prevalent in the mid Atlantic region - the farther north or south you go on the coast the fewer there are -- there is only one in Florida....but there are a million private halfways in the state! There a few in the Gulf states and Washington and Oregon have a good number also.

Oxford House - this is their national website and has a "clickable" map of the US where you can find house addresses and vacancy postings ---- the trick of course is to find an Oxford house with a good IOP nearby ..........and employment opportunities.

Good luck to you and your son!

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 01-08-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Now my son wants to stay in south florida, so back to a half way house that the rehab is related too. 1 hour from his recent past ..... still lookin for other options to explore but would have been better had it worked out while iron was hot. Cant Control I know one day at a time
Old 01-09-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Again,

"......wants to stay in south florida, so back to a half way house ........ 1 hour from his recent past ..... still lookin for other options to explore......."

Well, he could be in much worse places. My daughter (heroin) has been in south Florida for about 3 years now and the support system there is very impressive - meetings, sober living houses, recovery oriented events, employers open minded enough to give a recovering addict a chance, etc.

She went to rehab in Maryland, then went to a sober living house in Delray Beach - she did very well for about 18 months until she moved out of the sober house into an apartment which she could not afford with a room mate that relapsed and she followed him down the relapse road.

They both went to detox / rehab in separate facilities then back to the same apartment - I am not positive, but I believe she relapsed again almost immediately. Struggled along through a 3 month run of active addiction.

She finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired - went back to rehab "about an hour away" in North Miami (about an hour away from Delray) and severed most ties with the old boyfriend / room mate. She has now severed all ties with him -- praise the Lord!

She will be 9 months clean this coming Friday, lives in a 3/4-way house with 5 other girls, works her own program hard with her sponsors, has one sponsee of her own, and has a full time job working in a rehab where she helps / encourages / prods / harasses her fellow addicts toward their recovery every day.

So all in all, just based on my observations, south Florida is certainly not the worst place to recover and a one hour distance separation may well be large enough!

The truth is that this is all up to your son and what he wants, but you already knew that. Remember that regardless of what you think about your son's addiction .........You didn't cause it, you can't control it and you can't cure it.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 01-09-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimC60 View Post
Again,

"......wants to stay in south florida, so back to a half way house ........ 1 hour from his recent past ..... still lookin for other options to explore......."

Well, he could be in much worse places. My daughter (heroin) has been in south Florida for about 3 years now and the support system there is very impressive - meetings, sober living houses, recovery oriented events, employers open minded enough to give a recovering addict a chance, etc.

She went to rehab in Maryland, then went to a sober living house in Delray Beach - she did very well for about 18 months until she moved out of the sober house into an apartment which she could not afford with a room mate that relapsed and she followed him down the relapse road.

They both went to detox / rehab in separate facilities then back to the same apartment - I am not positive, but I believe she relapsed again almost immediately. Struggled along through a 3 month run of active addiction.

She finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired - went back to rehab "about an hour away" in North Miami (about an hour away from Delray) and severed most ties with the old boyfriend / room mate. She has now severed all ties with him -- praise the Lord!

She will be 9 months clean this coming Friday, lives in a 3/4-way house with 5 other girls, works her own program hard with her sponsors, has one sponsee of her own, and has a full time job working in a rehab where she helps / encourages / prods / harasses her fellow addicts toward their recovery every day.

So all in all, just based on my observations, south Florida is certainly not the worst place to recover and a one hour distance separation may well be large enough!

The truth is that this is all up to your son and what he wants, but you already knew that. Remember that regardless of what you think about your son's addiction .........You didn't cause it, you can't control it and you can't cure it.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Jim, thanks for sharing your story with me and I hear you. So glad to hear your daughter is doing so well. I appreciate your input always.
Rose
Old 01-16-2017, 12:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I will pray for you and your son. May this be the end of this painful journey.