Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Friends and Family > Friends and Family of Substance Abusers
Reload this Page >

having nightmares and waking up crying over my ex anyone else experience this?

Old 12-08-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

been having terrible dreams and a crushing chest pain . I think its from grief and heartache.
Old 12-08-2016, 04:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh, kitkat

Yes, it is from grief and heartache...and yes, I did go through that. Suffered insomnia quite a bit because of it.

What helped me to sleep at night was to have beautiful music playing all night long...quietly so that it wouldn't keep me awake, but loud enough to hear it when I would wake up fitfully during the night.

I know that it doesn't feel like it now, but things will get better. I promise!! Hang in there!
Old 12-08-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh that helps. I have terrible insomnia and even when I try not too think k about it things trigger it. I am going to start a journal today. I am so grateful for ur help.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

KitKat, after reading this essay in the NY Times about heartbreak...

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/fa...g-therapy.html

I decided to download the app mentioned in the essay. I've been having a pretty horrible time sleeping after both my parents got their cancer diagnoses. However, I can attest that for the past three days I've had no trouble sleeping at all. There's relaxing music. The speaker has a soothing Scottish accent. You can set it on repeat. It works so well I would never listen to him while driving my car. Zzzzzz...

If you google "Andrew Johnson relax" you'll find the website. He offers a free app called Relax, and if I had known about that I would have downloaded that first.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh man, this is just so hard isn't it, my dear? I know how you feel. I've always been a big dreamer and It's hard when they are even in your dreams. You feel like you'll never heal, but you will. Like Seren says, it will get better. Promise!! When I have a hard time sleeping, I pray or read a good book. It takes my mind off 'things'. I love that idea of listening to beautiful music. When I enter into prayer, it's as if I am comforted somehow. Sending you a healing hug.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kitkat255 View Post
been having terrible dreams and a crushing chest pain . I think its from grief and heartache.
Yes. I am there myself right now. Please take care of yourself.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:28 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Definitely happens. It is terrible. I try to hold on to knowing there were times before that weren't like thus, and know there will be again in time.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
Well...yes, I've had dreams about people who were once in my life and no longer are. And if we're in the middle of going through something with someone, chances are high that someone will visit us in our dreams.

It can be distressing. But I think it's normal, too. So just get through your days as best you can.

Hang in there.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh so sorry to hear that Kitkat. I recognize the feelings you're describing. I think you're actually suffering from anxiety - have experienced lots of that. Try to stay calm and take deep breaths. If it doesn't get better go see a doctor and ask if they can give you something sedative.

Hang in there