Happy holidays

Old 11-26-2016, 10:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy holidays

Hello and Happy Holidays to you all:
I haven't been around for a very long time, however, you are never out of my mind. I've been very busy raising my now 9 year old great granddaughter, and I'm going to tell you, this homework stuff is not fun!
Sometimes I get a good grade, but other times I make mistakes.
Anyway I am here today to tell you all how grateful I am today for finding this website a long time ago. It not only brought laughter into my life again, but it saved my life. Thank you for all those wonderful ladies that walked with me, and guided me to sanity! Here is what is happening today:
My son is now 54 years old and has been in recovery for 8 years. He is married and raising two step-children (he is so strict!) he is productive and happy. I am so thankful that I lived long enough to see this. I only wish I had let-go years before I did. Oh well, I finally did and when I did, he began to heal.
Thank you for all the wonderful friends I met here, especially that crazy "red-head" Ann.
Ann, if you are still here forgive me for not checking in sooner. You're never out of my mind. Thank you for walking that path with me, I never could have done it without you.
For all you people who are just beginning your journey, I will tell you what Ann told me and that is, "I promise you, it will get better!" It will, but you must let go and let go with love!
I will be back.....
Love and prayers heading your way
Devastated
Old 11-26-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Devastated,

There is at least one Ann that posts here on a regular basis, not sure if she is THE crazy red head you seek. I am sure she will check in soon.

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 11-26-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Wow Dev, the little princess is 9! She is so blessed to have you and my favorite Italian, Mr. Dev, in her life.

And how wonderful that your son is doing so well.... 8 years, I think he's got the hang of it. How do I say this delicately...you can take the prison warden off speed dial now. Don't make me grab your phone!

I will catch up with you in a bit, I have been on the run today but was just tickled to check in and see you here.

Love you lots and lots, Dev. And hugs to the Mr. from the foxy Canadian lady.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Yes, Jim, I am the crazy redhead...now a natural blonde. *snork*

Dev and I go back a long way. We were once almost "Prison Wedding Planners", a plan gone afoul when her son got wise and called it off. Ahhh, the bad old days!
Old 11-27-2016, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Jim, hello Ann

This feels like a family reunion! So happy you never give up helping others and you are still here.
Yes, she is 9 years old now and do I have a funny story to relate to all.
Here goes, I thought her grandfather, my son, was busy, well he has nothing on her.
I got a call the other day from a man who identified himself as a grandfather to one of her schoolmates. He said, "first thank you so much for being so generous!" Oops, this is not a good start! I said, "Sorry, what do you mean?" He went on to say, "your granddaughter (left out the great part) gave my grandson a check today for $6,000,000. WHAT?? I was so stunned, I didn't respond right away and when I did all I could say is, "so, what, it wasn't enough?" He said, "oh no, it was very generous!" LOL He said, I didn't cash it! What, it was written off my checking account? Yes, it is check #?? . He said I will tear it up! Good thinking! I asked how the spelling was, (God knows that's important) and did she have the correct amount of 0's. Oh yes, he replied! Great that's a good start! Later when she came home I said, "do they teach you the 10 Commandments in Awanas" that's a bible study class she attends. She replied "NO!" So, we went over them, and when I got to the one that says "Thou Shall Not Steal" I said, this is the one that applies to you. She thought about it for a moment and then said, "Oh Nanna, how silly you are!" Hmmm? She went on to say "I didn't steal the check!" I said, "you did, 'cause you took it from my purse!" She said, "Oh, I thought stealing would be more like something you do in the dark of night!" Damn, and I thought I had this raising kids down pat! I said, "no, that's not always the case." She said, oh sorry, then added this. "But, Nanna, you have to understand these people are so poor that Johnathan comes to school in his p'j's! I said, that is not poor, that is lazy! She said, "you think?" Later we went to the store and she asked for an ice cream. I replied, "sorry, darling, we have no money for ice cream 'cause you gave it to Johnathan!" She said, well, guess I won't do that again if I have to suffer later!
I won't even go into the XBox that she ordered on Amazon. And when I got the email that my package was on the way, I thought huh? What did I order for $350? Then turned to her and said, "did you?" She said, "Oh, that was fast service!" Dear God, please!!
Anyway, my life is just full of laughs all the time. She is a very good little girl otherwise! She is a good student and a leader! And the best part of all of this is, she is scared to be in trouble! Yes!
How's that for a laugh!
Devastated
p.s. nothing's changed I still have tons to talk about!!
Old 11-27-2016, 03:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So good to see you! I now have a 4 month old great granddaughter, and she is not a bit spoiled!

I would have to write a book to catch everyone up here, so I try to pop in every now and then and say hi. Lots of hugs to you, gal!
Old 11-27-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Dev, your great granddaughter likes to shop like her Grandma, she got your genes. How great that she's doing so well in school, maybe she's old enough to get a job and start covering her checks.

Freedom, good to see you too, Dev always seems to draw us all back and it's a sign that friendships last, even on message boards.

Dev, stick around over Christmas, we can use the help decorating and maybe this year you can be an elf...do you still have those platform boots? The curly toe shoes are much more comfy and you're less likely to break a hip.

Love you lots, you too Freedom. Old friends tickle my heart.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

((Dev)) - So good to see you again! Can't believe you little princess is 9 already! Glad to hear you still have your sense of humor. We've missed you so much.

DeVon and Ann - it IS like (don't smack me) an old-timer's reunion. Jim, you are more than welcome to join even if we only seem to get together maybe once a year.

Someone (Ann!?!) needs to write a story about the crazy stories - the prison wedding planning, the raccoons that were 8 feet tall, and so many other funny things.

I learned that no matter how hard, and often heartbreaking, it can be to have a loved one who is an addict, we can learn to focus on us and find supportive friends, shoulders to cry on and humor can make a world of difference for us.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-29-2016, 10:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello Impurrfect, Ann, and you, too, Jim

So Jim, if you're going to be hanging around with the "big" girls you best be ready to "rumble!" LOL We have been known to get into a few dilemmas now and again; however, that was then, this is now! What? you ask what dilemmas, oh like, Ann crashing down the door of a drug house, or me calling the Warden at San Quentin because my son didn't receive his books fast enough. OMG, it is so bad when the Warden says "please tell your mother not to call me anymore!" Shoot, after that I had to rely on the minister to relay my messages to my son. Especially after I was told that he didn't have a phone in his cell! Terrible accommodations! My poor child wrote and told me the thread count on his pillow case was less than 100! OMG, how inhumane is that!
Anyhow, sure was nice to hear from Impurrfect again. You're right Impurrfect, without a sense of humor where would we be today! OMG, reminds me of when I first came here and was so "devastated" about the fact that my son called and told me he needed money because he had no place to live and so was living in his storage space! OMG, how funny was that? At the time though, Ann if you'll remember, I was so afraid he didn't have enough air to breath! OMG, how dumb was I!!!
Freedom, great to hear from you too! A 4-month old great gd? Wow, how nice is that. It's difficult not to spoil them when you don't have them 24-7. I, on the other hand, rule with an iron fist! LOL God keeps on sending me these children until I learn. OK, I've learned!
I will keep popping in whenever I get the chance.
Love you all, Devastated
Old 11-30-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Dev, I hope you send that Warden a Christmas Card, it's the least you could do after all the grief you caused.

What about your mailman? He reminded me of the crazy mail guy in Funny Farm (a great movie with Chevy Chase).

I don't "get in trouble"...I "have adventures"...there is a difference....and when I figure out what it is, I will share!

I think we were all pretty exhausted and neurotic when we first arrived here and it was good to laugh, lord knows I hadn't laughed in an awful long time. We laughed at our plight, we laughed at ourselves, and we kept going through the hard stuff, holding each other up...and Dev, I gotta tell ya, you KNOW how to lean big time. *snork*

That's a big part of our recovery, I think, the ability to laugh at ourselves and keep going, wiser for the lessons we learn along the way.

Give that little great granddaughter a big hug from me.

Hugs
Old 11-30-2016, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Dev, do you remember when we took a codie road trip to Dr. Phil's? We weren't happy with how he handled an addict named Brandon, I think.

This link will take you there...it's from The Best of SoberRecovery...and the thread is closed so don't try to post on it, lol. Get the tissues, you will laugh till you cry.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...w-up-show.html
Old 11-30-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I love posts like these <3
Old 11-30-2016, 07:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Captainzing2000

You haven't heard anything yet! Wish you could have been here for the "almost jailhouse wedding!" Ann, do you still have your bridesmaid's dress? The one with the stripes?
Ann, I'm not allowed to send anything to the Warden, remember? I've been blackballed!! The Chaplin (not minister) even won't take my calls.
The mailman, well remember him? Poor guy, he was so afraid to drop off my mail after he asked me the fatal question, "gosh, who do you know in San Quentin?" answer: Oh, that would be my wonderful son!! Question, "Oh, my, why is he there?" Answer: He killed a mailman!! Hello, are you ok? Poor guy never was the same after that, but sure got my mail on time. Of course, this was all before I told Mr. Dev the mailman was crazy for me! Remember what he said? "watcha outta, he'ssa pretty fuxzy!" OMG, he has got to learn to pronounce the words better! LOL
Anyway, I'm just now finished with homework and it's 7:00 PM here. I hate common core math! LOL
Don't remember the Dr.Phil show, but will look at it now. We went on so many trips!! I think we had more adventures then our kids did!