Narcan Again twice in less than 40 days SCARED

Old 11-16-2016, 03:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Narcan Again twice in less than 40 days SCARED

My son had a relapse from H and needed narcan , woke up in hospital and said it was the wake up he needed. going to IOP and just found a great job. fast forward to another relapse in less than 30 days that brought him to hospital again Im so afraid for him. He said he is doing program and fighting Just found a job he really wants and thinks this is the answer he needed to feel like a real person again. still doing IOP but so far away from me that I only get to hear his voice on phone after the fact and during the good days. I want to talk him into going to another area and starting over with some more intense inpatient rehab. He says he cant do it anymore when it gets ahold of him but his is in a really good half way house that has real people working the program and he doesn't trust himself to make any decisions without them right now. Im scared for him, so very scared, I don't want to lose him. 2 times in 60 days needing narcan What do I say when he calls? Codey wants to take over and move him although I know that the doc is everywhere. Just need to rant a moment cause im so afraid im gonna lose him.
Old 11-16-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I know your fear, I think every parent on here does. I think it is good that he is on his own and has support around him.

Having us hover and try to tell them how to get clean only makes us (and them) crazy. In the end they have to figure it out anyway.

I pray that this is an eye opener for him and that he does reach out to those who can truly help him.

Hugs from my heart to yours.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am so terribly sorry to hear about this. I completely understand. BUT, from my perspective, your son sounds much more like he has a PLAN than when JJ left his recovery home. Is the Narcan because he took one of those fentanyl laced batches? that is not as common here in southern california, but I know it is an epidemic in other parts of the land. Sending prayers for you Again. IF he has a job and is motivated that is a good thing.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

not sure what was in the H....he just said it was bad batch ...both times and he wants to be better and work an internship in something he went to school for so he is so excited about that for sure. Motivated for a real life as he says but my fear is that he can turn his head from the disease. He is so trying to be out of that world he says he fights his urges and brain all the time but he also says he is learning the hard way...........................I know he is so far away and I wish.....as all us moms to make it better....thanks for checking in....love this forum
Old 11-16-2016, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my son, is on this rocky path. I struggle with some news that I have and if I should share with my boys in the program. I have never kept a secret but I need some major surgery and it is scheduled. I am fighting in my head to share this with them. I have to take care of myself and have it there are no options but they are both fighting their own demons that I feel I must do mine alone. if told they may run home like the calvary but I don't need them to be here and will recover much better knowing they are working on themselves...............I hate not telling what is up on the home front though.....I dot want them to worry nor can they help me I just have to have the time to heal..........Any words of wisdom from our SR friends???????
Old 11-17-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

again....it sounds like it would be easier on you if you don't tell them.
do what is easier for you! And,,,,,don't feel guilty....
Old 11-17-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree with Dandylion. BUT be sure that you have a solid support from friends and family while you go through the surgery and recovery.
Hugs and prayers it goes perfectly.
TT
Old 11-17-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree, do what feels right for you and then surround yourself with other support, friends or family that are near you.

Keeping you in my prayers.
Old 11-17-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for thoughts and prayers.............I know they don't need the extra weight of worrying about me and I don't have a choice but do this surgery and get thru it Thanks again for always being here...............
Old 11-18-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The extra weight of worrying on them... yes they have their own struggles, but I don't know, maybe it would be good for them to realize that you are not just mom, but an actual human being who has their own struggles. Sometimes the thought of losing a cornerstone in our lives can wake us up.
HOWEVER... I think this should be more about you. If telling them right now, is going to make it more stressful on you then wait. You need to be taking care of you right now, and not worrying about them.
Pulling for you and sending positive vibes your way.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Again,

We all know your fears all too well. I too have an intimate understanding of the distance factor since my daughter is 1000+ miles away. AND, it does not help me at all when she makes some offhand remark like, "oh yeah, that carfentanil sh*t is here in North Miami - about 10 kids died just in the last week."

Step one tells us that we are powerless over the addict and it is so true. The logical extrapolation from Step one can be summed up by simply saying -- "there is no sense in me worrying about things over which I have no control." This is very easy to say, but extraordinarily difficult to achieve.

This I found encouraging and perhaps you can find some solace in it also:

"......is in a really good half way house that has real people working the program and he doesn't trust himself to make any decisions without them right now......"

I will relate this old story; it has been confirmed by many in long term recovery to be 100% true:

ADDICT IN A HOLE

An addict fell in a hole and couldn’t get out.

A businessman went by. The addict called out for help. The businessman threw him some money and told him to buy a ladder. But the addict could not find a ladder in the hole he was in.

A doctor walked by. The addict said, “Help, I can’t get out.” The doctor gave him some drugs and said, “Take this, it will relieve the pain.” The addict said thanks, but when the pills ran out, he was still in the hole.

A renowned psychiatrist rode by and heard the addict’s cries for help. He stopped and said,”How did you get in there? Were you born there? Did your parents put you there? Tell me about yourself; it will alleviate your sense of loneliness.” So the addict talked with him for an hour, then the psychiatrist had to leave, but he said he would be back next week. The addict thanked him, but was still in his hole.

A priest came by and heard the addict calling for help. The priest gave him a Bible and said, “I’ll pray for you.” The priest got down on his knees and prayed for the addict, then left. The addict was very grateful and he read the whole Bible, but he was still stuck in that hole.

A recovering addict happened to be passing by. The addict cried out, “Hey, help me, I’m stuck in this hole.” Right away, the recovering addict jumped in the hole with him. “What are you doing? Now we’re both stuck in here.” But the recovering addict said, “It’s okay. I’ve been here before, and I know the way out.”

- Anonymous

Keep coming back,

Jim
Old 11-21-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Great story, Jim, thank you.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bump
Old 11-21-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have no answers, but I want you to know I am reading this, supporting you and sending you huge hugs!
Old 11-22-2016, 08:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello Again. I am sorry about what you are going through, but you are asking the best kinds of questions for your recovery. I think your self-care is the most important thing, and yet I do agree with Sephra about our adult children learning to see us as people. If you are able to put up the boundary that you do NOT want them to come see you before or shortly after, and know they will respect that, I think they should know about your surgery. I will keep you and your health in my prayers!
Old 11-22-2016, 06:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JimC60 View Post
Again,

We all know your fears all too well. I too have an intimate understanding of the distance factor since my daughter is 1000+ miles away. AND, it does not help me at all when she makes some offhand remark like, "oh yeah, that carfentanil sh*t is here in North Miami - about 10 kids died just in the last week."

Step one tells us that we are powerless over the addict and it is so true. The logical extrapolation from Step one can be summed up by simply saying -- "there is no sense in me worrying about things over which I have no control." This is very easy to say, but extraordinarily difficult to achieve.

This I found encouraging and perhaps you can find some solace in it also:

"......is in a really good half way house that has real people working the program and he doesn't trust himself to make any decisions without them right now......"

I will relate this old story; it has been confirmed by many in long term recovery to be 100% true:

ADDICT IN A HOLE

An addict fell in a hole and couldn’t get out.

A businessman went by. The addict called out for help. The businessman threw him some money and told him to buy a ladder. But the addict could not find a ladder in the hole he was in.

A doctor walked by. The addict said, “Help, I can’t get out.” The doctor gave him some drugs and said, “Take this, it will relieve the pain.” The addict said thanks, but when the pills ran out, he was still in the hole.

A renowned psychiatrist rode by and heard the addict’s cries for help. He stopped and said,”How did you get in there? Were you born there? Did your parents put you there? Tell me about yourself; it will alleviate your sense of loneliness.” So the addict talked with him for an hour, then the psychiatrist had to leave, but he said he would be back next week. The addict thanked him, but was still in his hole.

A priest came by and heard the addict calling for help. The priest gave him a Bible and said, “I’ll pray for you.” The priest got down on his knees and prayed for the addict, then left. The addict was very grateful and he read the whole Bible, but he was still stuck in that hole.

A recovering addict happened to be passing by. The addict cried out, “Hey, help me, I’m stuck in this hole.” Right away, the recovering addict jumped in the hole with him. “What are you doing? Now we’re both stuck in here.” But the recovering addict said, “It’s okay. I’ve been here before, and I know the way out.”

- Anonymous

Keep coming back,

Jim

Jim, Thanks so much ! it helped, you helped me I appreciate you very much!
Old 11-22-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My mom wants me to share with my two in recovery to make them worry about me.. she thinks maybe than they will have a reason to stop...... good old fashion catholic guilt....her specialty....I love her dearly but doesn't get it. I love my religion and faith so not knocking that either , but I feel like the last thing they need is to worry about anything but sobriety at this point.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Havent posted personally in awhile, had surgery, went well, decided to tell both my sons in recovery, waited till last second and felt they needed to know just in case. both still sound good and in recovery, both coming home to do amends, one seems sincere with program and my other son is fighting on his own . he still struggles as to "why this happened to him"...................by the time they visit for holdiays one will have 4 moneths and the other 6 months. Can I say here im nervous and excited. Short visits for both, triggers all over and frightened for those. God please make this work and give me the strength to love and not be scared the entire time. My recovery has been challenging enough. One day at a time as we all know .............Thanks for listening SR
Old 12-15-2016, 04:43 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I am so glad that they are doing well...and that you are too.

Try to stay away from fear and just enjoy them being home.

Hugs
Old 12-15-2016, 04:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

So glad to hear the surgery went well! Have your two sons been in different locations in recovery? I know its hard not to be scared, just enjoy if you can the few days you will have them together!