New here, looking for a little guidance

Old 10-16-2016, 06:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, looking for a little guidance

A little bit about me... my mom was an addict as long as I can remember (I'm 35), and died 3 years ago due to drugs. My sister is also an addict (not really sure if she's considered recovering or not). I tried to help them and after years of it not being received, I walked away. I've never dated an addict until recently. He was in recovery and I found out today that he's relapsed. I'm completely torn on what to do. Do I walk away, give him a chance...
Old 10-16-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

renee...my short answer.....my short answer is to "walk away". Otherwise, I see a future for you that is likely to be filled with lots and lots of pain and disappointment.
You have already given years of your life to addiction....through your mother and sister....why ask for more?
You say that this relationship is recent. That is what dating is for....to find out if you want to stay with a certain person, or move on, for your own welfare.....

I will go further and say....I think that you might want to join Adult Children of Alcoholics.....because, with your family history--it is certain that you have been affected by being in a family of addiction...and, you will be very vulnerable to attaching yourself to other addicts in the future.....
Old 10-16-2016, 07:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for your feedback
Old 10-16-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i agree, now is the time to begin living an addict-free life!
Old 10-16-2016, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Ditto to all of the above. The life of living with an addict is "familiar" to you, it may be what's comfortable because it is what you know.

Please take a leap of faith and step way back to a place where you can deal with your own issues, and find some healing from the past.

Once you have done that, wonderful new beginnings await you.

Hugs