Telling others gives me mixed feelings

Old 09-30-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Telling others gives me mixed feelings

I've been on here for a few days now. My original post was "Everyone says to get out, never stay and offer rehab" if anyone wants to get the story. And it has been wonderful on here. Truth hurts but is necessary and I am so grateful for everyone who reads and responds.

Today, as I was walking downstairs in our high rise, I bypassed the front office, cause just a few days ago when this past incident was so raw, I had a private conversation with my landlord regarding the lease and legalities if I were to break it. A lawyer friend of all people suggested I tell them I might be in a hostile situation if I stay. And I did that and of course lost my composure.

Now I have regret cause who knows if the manager kept this to himself, or lacked discretion within his office or was obligated even to share such news. So now I'm embarrassed and feel funny if I see any one in the concierge or office. Especially if I stay now. Uhg.

So I received a lot of advice here, and just want to pass this on, be sure to think things out, when you can. I know being in this situation it's difficult to find time and even peace in ones own head to think clearly and thus make rational decisions. But do take a moment before acting or speaking ...think of how it may affect you.

This site is good for anonymity and I wish I had stuck to this site only.

However , I feel somewhat ok with letting so many people know , my landlord, my family and friends because if anything really bad happens, it has been documented, and a lot.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It kind of goes both ways doesn't it?

There is saying in the program, We Are Only As Sick As Our Secrets. and covering up and pretending all is well when it most definitely is NOT can harm us.

But we have to remember (abuse aside for a moment) that we are talking about someone else's disease/illness. and not everyone has the same viewpoint or opinion on such matters. some get it, some do not.

but i also think you were wise to ask about your lease. it's hard to say what the manager would do with that conversation, but it's unlikely he'll tell everyone and their mother.

you hold your head up high. you are working thru some difficult times, for the FIRST time, without a net. we don't hand out awards for BEST RECOVERY, we simply applaud the effort.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
you hold your head up high. you are working thru some difficult times, for the FIRST time, without a net. we don't hand out awards for BEST RECOVERY, we simply applaud the effort.
My thoughts exactly. You have nothing to be ashamed of, you are doing the best you can with a bad situation.

Count me in as one of those applauding your effort.

Hugs
Old 09-30-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I'm in that crowd with Ann cheering you on
Old 10-03-2016, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think in today's climate, that there are few and far between, those that have not been effected by addiction. It is harder to hold the stigma, when you personally know/love someone with addiction. It's everywhere. Loving someone addicted shouldn't carry shame. I think it's good that you put it out there. It shows courage.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with Sephra, it is hard to find a family these days that hasn't been affected by addiction. If someone claims to know no one affected by it, they are hiding or not being honest with themselves.

For me to be able to deal with it I have had to be honest with myself and my family (my son was the addict in my life). I don't try to hide what I've done during my enabling, it isn't pretty! And I'm not ashamed, it is what it is and it is what has made me seek to be better.