Prison Reform Input Requested

Old 07-12-2016, 07:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Prison Reform Input Requested

We all know that drug addiction plays an enormous role in our jail and prison system. A colleague of mine is working on a prison/jail divergence project for a very large legal advocacy organization. I will be called upon to give my input on the subject at some time in the near future. I have significant experience to share with her, but instead of giving her a narrative, I want to organize my input into concise terms that can be easily used for policy reform.

If you had the opportunity to provide your concerns and suggestions, what would you say?
Old 07-12-2016, 07:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow. This is a good opportunity for you alterity. The system is so messed up right now. I see both sides b/c there needs to be reform, especially with the focus on the mentally ill which have been stranded. Substance abuse is a by product of that, and now we have H and fenetanyl to deal with as well, so substance abuse has become deadly. Then there is the question of crime punishment. Yes, these people who are offenders need help, but we cannot ignore the repeated crimes they commit.

It comes down to MONEY. Someone needs to recognize that the jails will have to reform into much bigger facilities that offer many more services, and also have follow up and ongoing after care. All of that takes serious money, staff, and training. Where will it come from?

Until our leaders recognize and agree to provide and find funds, it will never work.

I don't know how I can organize that into a better thought process, but that is definitely my thoughts.

You are a very intelligent and educated person with personal experience in this, I am very glad your input has been sought. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2016, 08:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

alterity.....I would say that one Big area that needs changing would be to remove the roadblocks to securing employment, once a person is relased back into the community.....

dandylion
Old 07-13-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think mental health of all kinds needs to be addressed in prison, addiction included. Honestly, group therapy, therapeutic activities like art therapy, etc would not be too expensive to institute for the compliant. Offer an incentive for compliance. I think about 90% of crime can be traced back to mental illness of some kind, addiction or otherwise. I've not met an offender who didn't have some good traits, who didn't have someone they love. Something motivates them to criminal activity, until we identify and treat the source of the criminal behavior, we're not making the streets any safer when they're released.